The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Default First carbon fiber guitar!

I decided about a month ago that I need a carbon fiber guitar, as I am frequently in environments that would be harmful to a wood guitar... I want to play, carbon is the solution. (See UPDATE at Post #26)

I ended up buying a Rainsong BI WS-1000N2 from a forum member, received it two days ago and I could not possibly be happier. I have played it around 8 hours now, and my ears are becoming accustomed to the different tone. The clarity, sustain, note separation, and intonation are simply amazing... better than any wood guitar I have ever played. Balance is very even, and harmonics are also excellent. There is a tonal quality that is different, but not in a bad or good way... just different. The playability of this N2 neck is outstanding, and I love having a cutaway (my first). All in all, what an excellent solution to real environmental problems.

Reading past threads, I see there are some AGF members who are always negative about carbon fiber guitars. IF they have ever actually played one, I suspect they approached it with a closed mind to begin with... I also suspect they played for a few minutes and said "not for me"... the truth is, your ears cannot possibly understand or appreciate a new tone without sufficient play time. My ears are still learning, but I can already say I am happy with this new tone and I am glad I kept an open mind.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 10-23-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Nice to know. Thinking of looking that direction in the future.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
All in all, what an excellent solution to real environmental problems.
Maybe in the coming years.

http://energy.gov/articles/top-9-thi...t-carbon-fiber

Current methods for manufacturing carbon fiber tend to be slow and energy intensive, making it costly for use in mass-produced applications.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Default "AHA" Moment

I had a similar "AHA" moment, I posted about some weeks ago. I'm an old "Woody" and always thought carbon fiber guitars were "substandard", without any actual experience. Then, on a lark, I tried out a Rainsong also. Very surprised and impressed. No doubt as rare tonewoods become more difficult to obtain, CF will become more prevalent. Congrats on your purchase! I may be close behind.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I had a Blackbird Super OM as well as an Emerald and couldn't bond with them.....then I bought a Rainsong WS3000 and boing!!!! Perfect! I feel 12 strings really benefit from the clarity and note separation they get from the carbon fiber construction....and it solves all the typical problems associated with a standard 12 string.... Can't wait to find another.

1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM

I played bunch of guitars at a guitar center the other day. The Black Ice was easily in the top three guitars I tried that day though I really liked the J35 they had on the wall. I may be biased though because I have been playing an Emerald X20 for a while now after choosing it over a Taylor K20 and have already stepped a few feet down this road.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
...Current methods for manufacturing carbon fiber tend to be slow and energy intensive, making it costly for use in mass-produced applications.
Hey Paul, from the article in the link you provided: "With a goal of reducing carbon fiber production costs by 50 percent, the Energy Department’s new Carbon Fiber Technology Facility at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is working with manufacturers and researchers to develop better and cheaper processes for producing carbon fibers. Lowering the cost of carbon fibers make it a viable solution for vehicles and a wide variety of clean energy applications."

The manufacturing world has barely scratched the potential of carbon fiber, and it will only grow more ubiquitous and less costly as time goes on.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I joined the carbon fiber club in December and I'm still very happy. It doesn't compete with my better wooden guitars, but it fills a particular need exceptionally well.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

There is a Carbon Fiber Forum here...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...splay.php?f=48

Some long time CF players and some of us who now know the joys of carbon fiber and wood guitars!

I bought a RainSong Shorty last year - love it!

I used to think I was a "wood guitar" guy... found out I am a GUITAR guy.

Captain Jim
Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 PM

Hey Bill....congrats!

Many top musicians are playing CF instruments, perhaps the most well known being Yo Yo Ma...
http://www.luisandclark.com/yo-yo-ma/

Can't be all bad.

I played a Rainsong about a year ago and was very impressed. I love Jim's comment "I used to think I was a "wood guitar" guy... found out I am a GUITAR guy.

DC
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 PM

Played several...not a fan.

I traded my Ovation years ago and I haven't missed it.

Please don't try to tell me the difference between a carbon fiber and an Ovation. Neither one is made entirely of wood, that's all I care about.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-12-2014, 03:56 AM

I'm a Martin guy & recently bought a Blackbird Rider Steel w/MiSi electronics from MacNichol. First carbon fiber guitar, first dealings with MacNichol. A++++++++ on both. MacNichol offered me a free bone saddle upgrade, and cut me TWO saddles. When I encountered difficulties swapping out the factory saddle, Michael put together a photo tutorial. The Rider is good enough to lead me in new, unexpected musical directions, which is what makes a guitar a good guitar.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:04 AM

You really haven't played until you've played a lead guitar. Yes, they're a bit heavy and you have to wear gloves, but you can't beat the tone.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenHairlessCats View Post
You really haven't played until you've played a lead guitar. Yes, they're a bit heavy and you have to wear gloves, but you can't beat the tone.
Why the sour note?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:43 AM

A++ for Rain Song. I need to go see the factory since its on the way to Inlaws. To me the whole point of owning multiple guitars is variety. I like taking the Rain Song to church, its light, never goes out of tune, and punches through all the noise. It tends to be a sensitive P/U and have to turn away from my monitor to avoid feedback but this just tells me how sensitive the c/f is. Also I have an Emerald that's my Back Packing guitar coming in a 3#s.I t sound so good, makes Martins Backpacker sound like a childs toy. Wait, it does anyway. I would(wood) not be happy with a c/f alone though, and if I had to choose only one guitar it definitely wood be would

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber