The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

Welcome to the forum - your new extended family. 110 or 114 very good choices. Let us know what you get and show off some photos of your new guitar when you get a chance.

BEST!!!

Al
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 01-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Pat!

I would also look at the 114. Same series as the 110, but, IMHO, a more comfortable guitar to hold. I think it's also the same price.
+1 on the 114, that would be my recommendation as well.

And.......welcome, Pat. Good folks around here, enjoy your musical adventure.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 PM

I just read that at the NAMM Show, the new Taylor GS Mini won Product Of The Year.
If you can find one, this could be a good choice.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 PM

+1 for the GS-mini. Small guitar with a big sound that is comfortable to hold, sounds great and is really fun to play.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 AM

Welcome Pat. You'll get lots of opinions here, Not wanting to be left out, I'll offer a few of my own :

I think the ergonomics of a guitar are what beginners should focus on. Most guitars, if they aren't dirt cheap. will offer at least decent tone, enough to get you playing and enjoying making some good music. But, if it isn't comfortable, or doesn't fit your body well, your less likely to stick with it, no matter how good it sounds.

I totally agree with Devillis that an OM sized guitar is a great place to start.
I also think that a guitar with a 1 3/4 nut width is good for a beginner. The string spacing makes it a bit easier to fret notes cleanly, and it's not too wide for most people that it will be uncomfortable.

I also think that the neck profile is important. You want something a bit slim (not too chunky, or a vintage style V neck) to start, but not too thin either, which can be uncomfortable too.

So, with all that in mind, I'd recommend a Guild GAD 30R. OM sized, all solid woods, 1 3/4 nut, bone nut and saddle, and excellent sound for relatively little money. If you can find one used, even better. Imo, an excellent guitar for beginners, and they hold their value pretty well.

If you can get yourself to some retailers and try as many guitars out as you can, that would be good. Pay attention though to how they feel to you, in terms of size and comfort, and how the neck feels in your hand. Take notes on the different guitars that you spend time with, take notes, make comparisons.

If you know of anyone that plays, see if they will come along with you. If your going to take lessons, see if the instructor will go with you. Try to avoid making an impulse buy based on how a guitar looks (something even very experienced players can be susceptible to). Keep in mind that your goal is to find a guitar that your comfortable (physically) spending hundreds of hours with.

By the way, Recording King makes very good guitars too. I'd agree to stay away from Estaban though, not worth the money. Please feel free to ask questions here. That's all just my opinion, but I hope that helps.

Dennis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion