The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Taylor T5z considering purchase-alternatives thoughts

I have never owned an "ëlectric" or hollow bodied or anything other then a straight up old acoustic...

I really like what I've seen and heard about these Taylor T5z's...

I really like the idea of the smaller body over the T5...

Are there any other guitars I should compare to the T5z???

Any pros/cons of the T5 to the T5z???

Thanks... bob

All help will be appreciated...
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 PM

First of all, they are great. I would like to know why you are considering one and what kind of music you want to play so I could better recommend some other guitars you might want to consider.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
First of all, they are great. I would like to know why you are considering one and what kind of music you want to play so I could better recommend some other guitars you might want to consider.
I currently have 10 acoustics from parlors to jumbos... various woods... some with p/u's...

Primarily a fingerstyle player... some light strumming... only play for myself... family... I have a Fishman mini loundbox amp...

Looking for something comfortable (love 14-15" lower bout guitars) just to play around with and it looks like the T5zs offer lots of tone options...
Old 09-02-2014, 05:35 AM

I am currently gigging with a T5z. I previously bought and sold a Telecaster Acoustasonic (out of production) and a Godin A6 Ultra. If you don't need the bridge pickup, then the A6 Ultra has similar utility and I think a very good acoustic tone when you blend both pickup systems. The T5z is more expensive than these alternatives but I think worth it for the bridge pickup (which I really like for classic electric guitar distorted tones).

All three of these guitars can produce plugged-in acoustic tones that are equal in quality to my duo partners K&K Martins and ES-1 Taylor.

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 AM

I guess it would depend on the player you are and what you would want it to do for you.

For me, I'd ask myself, who plays this guitar that I would like to sound like. Personally I don't see a lot of electric players using this guitar. That is one thing that would rule it out for me.

There are other far more popular electric guitars that would be comfortable for a primarily acoustic player. That's the direction I would go.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 AM

Cool

One alternative would be a Turner Renaissance.
http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/ren...and-basses.php
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I am currently gigging with a T5z. I previously bought and sold a Telecaster Acoustasonic (out of production) and a Godin A6 Ultra. If you don't need the bridge pickup, then the A6 Ultra has similar utility and I think a very good acoustic tone when you blend both pickup systems. The T5z is more expensive than these alternatives but I think worth it for the bridge pickup (which I really like for classic electric guitar distorted tones).

All three of these guitars can produce plugged-in acoustic tones that are equal in quality to my duo partners K&K Martins and ES-1 Taylor.

Jon
The T5 has plenty of other tones beyond the bridge pickup. I've been stuck on parallel and series these days.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 AM

If you want a more acoustic feel, it is my understanding that you would prefer the regular T5 versus the T5z but I guess you can try both.

One guitar that might be worth taking a look at is the Michael Kelly Hybrid series:
http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/e...hybrid-special

Its a lot less money and in my experience Michael Kelly guitars are pretty darn good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion