The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a single brand guitar store?
I would be very interested in a brand specific guitar store 67 30.88%
I have no interest in a store that is limited to a single brand 127 58.53%
Oh no, not another stupid poll 23 10.60%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Personally I'd love to see a Goodall store :-)

But on a more plausible note, I think a Martin store would be very nice. Playing all the Vintage/GE/Authentic variations side-by-side would be pretty neat.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:43 PM

I'd love to see factory stores with not only breadth but depth of line - try a dozen D-28's or J-45's and go home with the one that really speaks to you. Since they'd undoubtedly be selling at MAP or higher, this could also work if they stocked the absolute pick of the litter (face it, the QC people at the factories know when they've got a "good" one) while the run-of-the-mill stuff went to the mass retailers - I'd gladly pay a few bucks more if I knew I was getting the best available example, sold by staff who knew everything there is to know about that make/model (as well as anything else on the floor). In addition, factory stores could serve as "Diamond Level" regional warranty centers, covering everything up to a complete rebuild (no need to send your instrument back to the factory and wait six months or more), outlets for exclusive editions, clinic/roadshow centers, and intimate performing venues for endorsers. Automobile dealers have been doing it for years, with all the attendant product knowledge that single-brand merchandising implies, and Carvin has jumped on the bandwagon with its So-Cal factory stores - why not everybody else...?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
...I doubt many will go that way, infrequent buys, longer sales cycle, lots of customer service inquiries. Why would they want to absorb additional cost of sales versus letting a dealer do it.
They would obviously have to cover the cost of the stores so that brand would only be available at MAP regardless of where you buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd love to see factory stores with not only breadth but depth of line - try a dozen D-28's or J-45's and go home with the one that really speaks to you...
Wow, that would be something, a hundred stores all with a dozen of each model in stock. Lets see, 180 SKU's x 12 x100 = 216,000 guitars. Sounds good to me.

Quote:
Since they'd undoubtedly be selling at MAP or higher, this could also work if they stocked the absolute pick of the litter (face it, the QC people at the factories know when they've got a "good" one) while the run-of-the-mill stuff went to the mass retailers...
I'm pretty sure any brand with their own stores would loose all the independent dealers but perhaps the big box stores would stick around. Still, even they wouldn't be satisfied with sloppy seconds. In your scenario they would have to handle all retail sales and open outlet stores for the run-of -the mill stuff.

Hey, I think we're on to something.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:08 PM

The question was phrased "would you be interested....." and not "is it I good business model...".

I would love a Martin only (especially higher end) store, whether it could make it is another question, definitely a big market only idea, places like NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, etc.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:19 PM

It's a hard one Ted. As a store owner, I think I will end up broke with one particular brand. As a buyer and a Martin purest, I'd prefer just Martins.

But then again, I would like a mixed store just so I can A/B other brands to my belove Martin. But have more Martin guitars.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:22 PM

If it's a brand I like, I would be interested. I visited Carvin's factory showroom once. I've never been a Fender guy, but if I was looking for a Tele or a Strat I would do it.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Cool Single Brand Guitar Store Anyone?

I getting hungry for some pizza!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM

HAHA!!! Carvin has Fender beat. Carvin also has/had a store on Sunset, the last time I visited Hollywood.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:36 PM

Talking

Babicz guitars opened a guitar store in Ft Wayne, Indiana. Don't think it lasted very long.

The only company that it would work door is a company like Martin. Everyone thought that Apple stores wouldn't work and they are one of the most successful in sales per square foot in the retail world. Martin has the same type of brand name recognition as Apple and has a more complete line of merchandise. (Apple has to bring in lots of other products for its stores). Martin manufactures their own strings. They have the the 1833 shop. So they theoretically could do it. I think it would be neat to have maybe one store in Nazareth, a Mecca for Martin fans. Imagine everything Martin makes or licenses under one roof. That also wouldn't be a big threat to most Brick and Mortar stores.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I'd think this would only work as a "showcase" store in one or two prime locations. I think most buyers want to try different guitars.
This is my view as well.

Would I go out of my way to see one? Depends. If it's within 2 hrs, yes, and probably only for Martin or Gibson. Otherwise, no, I'm just too busy.

The dealers I call upon have always provided excellent service that I don't need to travel cross country to buy a guitar. All have been gracious in describing tone in detail, cherry-picking the best when more than one is in stock, and providing sound samples when requested -- you being one of them, Ted. Keep up the good work!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Default I voted no

Although I have more Martins than any other brand,
I also have Gibson, Taylor, National, Webber, Yamaha, and Alvarez.
And have had a Santa Cruz, Fender and a dozen others.

A dedicated Martin or Gibson store might be fun for an afternoon visit, but I like the brand variety on hand to compare, so I voted no.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
HAHA!!! Carvin has Fender beat. Carvin also has/had a store on Sunset, the last time I visited Hollywood.
Actually they recently moved out of that location but I think they have a store in their factory in San Diego.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
What I'd be interested in is a store that had all the models that Martin, Gibson and Taylor had to offer, all under one roof (including lots of each company's custom builds).

I'd also like to see another store with all of the models that SCGC, Goodall, Collings, H&D, Bourgeois, and Froggy Bottom have to offer.

Put these two stores together and you'd basically have Buffalo Bros. (now defunct) from about 10 years ago.

Man, it was fun to go there back then.

Bill
You're right, it really was something.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM

I think a single-brand store might be an interesting idea. Gibson would be a perfect example. Not trying to bash on Gibson, but from what I heard a while back, the company has priced themselves out of some "mom-and-pop" stores when it comes to buying Gibson/Epiphone products. Add to the fact that they're also competing with GC's purchasing power...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Like a lot of the other folks who've responded so far, I think a Martin guitar store with their full product line available would be delightful, but that's a fantasy. I think Fender's proposed opening of such a store says more about their desperation and attempts to stay in business while staggering under crushing amounts of debt than it does about the viability of such a business model.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion