The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I have a brand new ( about a week old) Martin 00-15 sitka top in perfect condition that I would be willing to part with only because I found another Martin I've been looking for for a while. Just let me know.
[email protected]

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
A very good friend just returned from a songwriting workshop in Alaska.

While there, she was lent a 1947 Martin 00-18 and she fell in love with it.

She asked me if I'd help her find a small bodied guitar similar to it.

She's an extremely talented woman and deserves a fine guitar.

I'm going to start looking at Eastman and Blueridge models for her but does anyone have some other ideas? She's really smitten with the Martin 00-18 but doesn't want to spend two or three thousand dollars for one.

She can spend about $1000. Maybe a bit more.
Gypsy, thanks for the post. Very kind of you to help your friend.

I once owned that wonderful guitar she played, a Martin 00-18, not nearly as old as that one, but I can appreciate it. Much more balanced in tone than any of the Martin Dreads in all their variations based on the D-28.

One slight word of caution: The 00-18, at least from my experience, is mainly a fingerstyle guitar (others on this board might disagree with this, and I welcome their opinions). Anyway, I eventually traded in my 00-18 to acquire a vintage HD-28. The reason? I was playing in full electric bands, and it just didn't cut through. Also, if she's playing in full acoustic jams she might get a little drowned out. Again, that's been my experience.

Anyway, the other suggestions on here sound great. However, I believe she'd be remiss if she didn't check out the new L-Series small-bodied guitars from Yamaha. Here's a link to one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LL16RBSHC

They are available in both burst and regular finish. At GC this weekend I played both the LL-6 and the LL-16 models, well below $1000.00 at full retail. FABULOUS guitars, both of them. Fit and finish and setup need make no apologies to any other guitar maker on the planet. I was stunned and ran out of the store before I bought one.

Yamaha gets a lot of love on these boards, but for some reason no one had mentioned them in this thread, so I took up the mantle.

Oh, FYI, I believe both models are available in either Rosewood B&S or Mahogony. The hog is what's on the 00-18.

Peace,
CL
Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
A very good friend just returned from a songwriting workshop in Alaska.

While there, she was lent a 1947 Martin 00-18 and she fell in love with it.

She asked me if I'd help her find a small bodied guitar similar to it.

She's an extremely talented woman and deserves a fine guitar.

I'm going to start looking at Eastman and Blueridge models for her but does anyone have some other ideas? She's really smitten with the Martin 00-18 but doesn't want to spend two or three thousand dollars for one.

She can spend about $1000. Maybe a bit more.

Elderly Instruments has a 1962 year model Martin 00-18 listed right now for $1450. It's listed under their used Martin section .

She might be able to talk them down a little bit. This is a very well known business. They are fair and honest .
Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Elderly Instruments has a 1962 year model Martin 00-18 listed right now for $1450. It's listed under their used Martin section .

She might be able to talk them down a little bit. This is a very well known business. They are fair and honest .
That guitar is being offered on an "AS-IS" basis for that price. They list the extensive work it needs including a neck reset. If you have the work done at typical rates, you'd have well over 2 grand invested.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
If I were looking for a small body guitar with a mahogany body and adi top in the $1,000 range, I'd start with the Eastman E10P or the newly released E10OO. <SNIP>

Another option would be the Recording King RP1-326 or RP2-626. <SNIP>

Having said that, none of these guitars sounds or plays quite like a Martin 00-18.
Good suggestions, though I too have to agree with the last statement.

If...and I realize it's an "if"...she can go up just slightly in body size to 000 but 14-fret, the Recording King RO-310 is more impressive than its price (c. $550 street) might indicate, and to my ears offers a different tone than the RP2-626. All solid, adi over mahogany, slightly round neck with just a bit of chunk to it.

In the same way, the Eastman E6OM (sitka/mahogany, about $800 street price) and its more well-known adi-top brother E10OM (at closer to a grand or a bit more) offer a slimmer neck than the E10P, technically 1-3/4" nut but feels a little narrower and the neck overall doesn't feel as chunky. Also, though labeled "OM" both have the in-between scale: 25".

Me, I fell in love with a 00-18v last year and, frankly, have been waiting for the Eastman 00 models to get out to dealers, just in case they provide "the answer" for me, as well (but I can handle a chunkier neck and like the slothead format with longer 12-fret body). Otherwise, I'm going to have to pony up the bigger bucks for the real deal.

But I wish you and your friend luck in the search for a good alternative for her.

Cheers,

Dirk
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

You might check with vintageparlorguitars.com . They usually have a variety of refurbished 00 guitars with spruce tops. You'll get honest appraisals about the sound in comparison to Old Martins and a generous return policy.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:56 AM

I got my LG-2 American Eagle for $1400 (not sure if that meets the definition of a "little more"). They typically go for about $1800 new ... but if you call and make an offer they are typically willing to make a deal (especially Sweetwater).

Doubt you will find an all solid with an adi top in the 1K area.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Great organization. Yes, I agree, check this out.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
It's really hard to match the sound and feel of an old 00-18. If she doesn't have to get it right away she could save additional money while looking for the guitar she really wants. I got a '53 00-18 off Craig's List a few years ago. It's a "player" with repaired cracks and a reset neck as well as "divots" on the top (I call it Scarface) but plays and sounds great. If she can go with sound and feel and sacrifice on appearance she could end up with a guitar she'll like as much as I like mine.

What a beauty! ^^^^^^^

Well we got together yesterday and she's really liking my little Blueridge BR163. It is an exceptional guitar.

The gig is this weekend and now she's asked me to accompany her on a few songs.

Maybe she'll end up spending a grand on a nice Blueridge something or other.

Thank you so much guys for the replies and suggestions.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Took a look and that'd be great if it didn't need so much work. It has a new top too.

Thanks so much for the suggestion though.

I'm going to forward that page ( http://elderly.com/vintage/items/10U-6655.htm ) to her and see what she thinks.

There's some other nice ones there that Elderly is also offering .

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-02-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
What a beauty! ^^^^^^^

Well we got together yesterday and she's really liking my little Blueridge BR163. It is an exceptional guitar.

The gig is this weekend and now she's asked me to accompany her on a few songs.

Maybe she'll end up spending a grand on a nice Blueridge something or other.

Thank you so much guys for the replies and suggestions.
Good suggestion, Gypsy. Do you remember what you paid for your 00-18 on CL? Actually, I prefer to buy vintage guitars that are a little (or a lot) beat up. It drops the price substantially and takes them out of the "collectable" market. In my view, they are great players and often sound fabulous. They also have more character.

Kinda like the greasy-spoon truckstop where the waitresses are sassy and the food and atmosphere are to die for.

Sally forth!

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-02-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM

Another one for her to consider is The Loar LH-250-SN. It's the top of the line of their small body acoustics, and retails for about half of what she has to spend. I think she'll be surprised by the big sound from such a small guitar.

http://theloar.com/products/small-bo...h-250-sn#first

If there are any dealers near her, encourage her to go play as many different guitars makes as possible, this way she can find that sweet spot where tone and playability come together.
'14 Martin 00-15m
Old 09-02-2014, 01:09 PM

How about one of these Eastman e5ss? Right size, right neck width, adi over mahogany- http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/5...SS_10_1300.htm
"It's called a gui-tar. It's used to perform American rural music....It's also the instrument of choice for playing "the blues", which is a form of American music that chronicles the pain caused by poor
decision making." From "The Orphan Master's Son" by Adam Johnson
Old 09-02-2014, 02:42 PM

It's that 67 year old sound that got her. The 00-18 is a nice comfortable small body. I am several months into my search for the same.

You won't find any of that mojo in any recommendation with a $1000 price point. $3K minimum well over $4K+ is what it will take.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM

This is off the beaten path, but if you are after sound and playability and don't care about looks, you should look at the Blackbird Lucky 13. It compares favorably to vintage small guitars and you can get one new for under 2 grand. They are hard to find used (I have only seen 3 in the last several months - all sold quickly), but if you close your eyes you could swear you are playing a great pre-war small body guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion