The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 04:21 PM

I really enjoy learning a song and then getting to the point where it just comes out of my fingers, i don't have to think about it, that obviously takes a lot of repetition, so there is some degree of "boredom" with it, but the one who really hates it is my wife. She once asked me to learn a song because she liked it and I was motivated to learn it, but after I did, she had heard it so much she hated it.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Some songs I liked at first, then grew sick of them as they were over-played. One example like that from my childhood was "99 Tears," by ? and the Mysterians. I liked it, came to hate it, then eventually got so I could admire its cheesy Farfisa organ and Tex-Mex beat again.

Other songs I despise instantly and never change my opinion despite the passage of the years. In my case that would include anything by the Four Seasons, especially "Big Girls Don't Cry." That song was a huge hit when I was in 3rd Grade, and from the first instant I heard it it was like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Time has not mellowed my reaction....I'm one of the droves of movie-goers who stayed away from "Jersey Boys," the movie version of the musical based on the music of the Four Seasons. To me, actually paying money to go sit through 2 hours of Four Seasons songs would be like paying someone to slowly saw off my limbs with a bread knife.

To any Four Seasons fans out there I might have alienated with this post, hey, whatever floats your boat. You can have MY seat at the next showing of "Jersey Boys" - I'm sure it's still playing at a second run house somewhere.

Wade Hampton "They Don't CRY-YI-YI!!" Miller
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 AM

"Waltzing with Bears."

Further, deponent sayeth not.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Some songs I liked at first, then grew sick of them as they were over-played. One example like that from my childhood was "99 Tears," by ? and the Mysterians.
Wade, I think you've got 3 too many tears there, which of course, would ruin the whole song.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 AM

I'm guessing that 'hate' here is being used in its modern sense of something not being among our favorites.

Not exactly, but I know what you mean. When you learn a fingerstyle piece, you initially love it to bits - that's why you learn it. But the process of going over and over certain parts and hearing them again and again definitely takes the edge off them. But I think it can be recovered - once the piece is learnt and committed to finger memory, we can let it go for a while and then come back to it later, when all the repetition is out of our system. We can then hear it with reasonably fresh ears again.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 AM

Like many of you who gig regularly I play with several different groups. The most lucrative, and least enjoyable, is the stereotypical wedding band. We ALWAYS have to play Brick House, Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, etc.

Every once in awhile the other guitar player and I book a gig at a local hole in the wall known for letting musicians "explore the space." (tip of the hat to Christopher Walken)

We will experiment, sometimes with spectacular or spectacularly bad results. The audience is there to watch, some enjoying the Spinal Tap at the amusement park free styling, some hoping for the worst, like gawkers at a car crash. We will push each other from minor to major, change keys, tempos, etc., while still trying to keep the integrity of the song. Zepplin's Going to California is a good example of a simple tune you can have some fun with. You're hitting for average but, man, when you find that sweet spot, there's nothing like it.

It only pays a fraction of the wedding gigs but it is so liberating that it makes the other gigs bearable. I recommend it to anyone looking to cleanse their musical pallet. Remember, you don't have to be good, just be brave!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Back in the '70s I was with a band that was playing stuff that was terribly banal and definitely just show music. By the time we got a piece to the stage I was beyond bored with it. Nevertheless we were extremely popular in the region and the funny thing is that we almost made it professionally. We were offered a job with a label but decided not to take it because we were all in college. But it got me thinking - what would happen if I "made it" playing something I didn't really like? I mean, the amount of work it took to work up a song well with a band was such that I even found myself pretty bored by the time one of my original pieces made it to the stage. Can you imagine if that song became a hit and you ended up playing it every night for the rest of your life?

It gave me cause to pause, along with lifestyle issues (I wanted a successful marriage), so I decided to go into a related field (recording engineering) rather that performing. I was probably wise: now I can choose the when and what of playing.

Think on...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Back in the '70s I was with a band that was playing stuff that was terribly banal and definitely just show music. By the time we got a piece to the stage I was beyond bored with it. Nevertheless we were extremely popular in the region and the funny thing is that we almost made it professionally. We were offered a job with a label but decided not to take it because we were all in college. But it got me thinking - what would happen if I "made it" playing something I didn't really like? I mean, the amount of work it took to work up a song well with a band was such that I even found myself pretty bored by the time one of my original pieces made it to the stage. Can you imagine if that song became a hit and you ended up playing it every night for the rest of your life?

It gave me cause to pause, along with lifestyle issues (I wanted a successful marriage), so I decided to go into a related field (recording engineering) rather that performing. I was probably wise: now I can choose the when and what of playing.

Think on...

Bob
The people that did make it, especially ones most identified with their early work - e.g. does James Taylor ever get sick of "Fire and Rain" requests.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Hi ocmcook...

I've sure played some songs which we had to learn in a hurry so many times that I give them a rest, but never fully retired one, nor hated it.

Unless it was for a special occasion (funeral, wedding, program at school or church) I've never learned a song that I don't love. And if it's a song I don't know, I arrange it so I love the arrangement.

For me, songs don't every entirely settle. I keep picking at them and messing with them for years. Part of it is probably because I get easily bored, and the other is I enjoy variety.

I don't often rearrange whole sections, but sure do re-write intros and endings, and sometimes the turns where the verse runs into a chorus etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Sure. That's how you know you've got it down.
+1

Then I put it down for a few weeks and go back to it when it moves me. Been doing it that way for 40+ years.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
- e.g. does James Taylor ever get sick of "Fire and Rain" requests.
According to a performance on a live CD, YES
Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmcook View Post
have you ever heard a song that you loved and decided to learn it and by the time you learn it you now hate it?
Me? No. My family tired of it before I'm done? Yeah, probably.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Sure. That's how you know you've got it down.
Yep. I usually don't consider a song to be stage ready until I can't stand the sound of it any more. And I'm only partly kidding.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmcook View Post
have you ever heard a song that you loved and decided to learn it and by the time you learn it you now hate it?
Actually, more often I have the opposite occur: I learn a song I've heard a gazillion times and never wanna hear again; then I learn it and find new things to love about it.

This recently happened with Jimmy Buffett's "Margarittaville", a perfect song to hate. I learned it and it ended up being a really fun song in my acoustic jams. Same thing happened with "Me and Bobbi McGee."

One song I STILL hate is Van Morrison's "Moondance." In that case, familiarity really DID breed contempt. I think part of the problem is cuz the whole first side of that album is brilliant EXCEPT that song, and yet that is the one that gets played. Crazy Love, Caravan, Into the Mystic -- genius!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:41 PM

After I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton
Some songs I liked at first, then grew sick of them as they were over-played. One example like that from my childhood was "99 Tears," by ? and the Mysterians.
The ever-alert Bob Devillis wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Wade, I think you've got 3 too many tears there, which of course, would ruin the whole song.
Egad, you're correct!

Maybe I conflated "96 Tears" with "99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall."

Now that would be interesting, singing "take one down, pass it around" to that same Farfisa organ and Tex-Mex beat....

Or maybe I was just typing too fast and didn't spot my typo.

While we're talking cheeseball songs from the 60's, any Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs fans out there? I always loved those guys, still do.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion