The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Good for you. A similar thing happened to my mother when she was in her 80's. She had reached a period where she just felt tired with no energy all the time, was having issues with memory and clarity, and was experiencing a lot of dizziness. We got her to a new internist who fully reviewed her meds and he took her off over half of what her other doctors were prescribing. She had mild diabetes and was blind from glaucoma so in addition to her age, she had a complicated situation. She had a huge improvement in how she felt and obviously she fired her other doctors.

Good luck!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Default Not Packing it in...

Dave,

It's truly heartwarming to hear you're not packing it in...

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 09-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Great news! Glad to hear it.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Sweet!

The van is on its way.

Greg Rappleye
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
I traded a few PM's from a pharmacist on this forum about the meds I take that may have been exacerbating my memory issues. I followed his advice and have been switched to another med now for going on two weeks. I am experiencing a radical reduction in the severity of my issues with forgetting how to play my repertoire. My wife is thrilled because she said aspects of my personality that had disappeared on one med in particular were coming back. I sort of jumped the gun by over reacting to this issue as I have sold my two best guitars already in anticipation of having to walk away from playing. I guess that's okay since I have a valid reason now to indulge GAS twice in the near future? I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions and encouragement.
Dave... really glad to hear of this turn around... AND... If you want the guitar I bought from you I'll be more than happy to sell it back to you.... not that I'm displeased with it in any way....

I have experienced a wonderful blessing myself.... For much to long to remember I have suffered from lower back and related leg pain.... even after major back surgery 5+ years ago.... I was extremely exhausted all of the time... NO energy... had to mentally will myself even to get out of bed...

About 3 weeks ago I was visiting a doctor about an intestinal problem and after his treating me for that problem he casually asked me how I was feeling otherwise. I explained my back/leg problems to him and he quickly told me what he felt might be the problem and gave me a sample of LYRICA to try.... Lyrica is a medicine to treat nerve damage...

WOW WOW WOW... I had no idea that I was getting almost no sleep.... I felt like I was 20+ years younger starting the very first day.... it's been a little over 3 weeks now and I still am giving thanks to Him...

Hope this gives hope to others who may be suffering from some chronic condition.... bob
Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Im their with you my friend -were all getting older and many of us have individual problems that get in our way of playing the way we want to play
or make us hurt while were doing it . I say hang in their , their will be many good days -and im sure you'll be glad you did . I always say one good day makes the hundred so-so worth it .
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I love it when things turn out like this. Sounds like this forum was instrumental in making good things happen for Dave. Good folks here.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 PM

Great news!!! if you want to use the Tonerite let me know.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Sure am happy to hear this. I'm glad you got some good advice from an AGF member and talked to your doctor. Enjoy your GAS and go shopping!

As a psychotherapist, I know that there are many medications out there that can cause cognitive and/or emotional changes, and this is all the more likely in those of us 'of a certain age.' No one should chalk it up to aging or a permanent medical issue without a thorough review of all medications with a doctor who is knowledgeable in such matters. Pharmacists are often an overlooked resource. A sharp primary care doc may catch it, but it may also require a consult with a neurologist. As well as med side effects, there are also many treatable and reversible conditions that can cause changes in cognitive functioning. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I do think this is a very important issue that I want my fellow AGF members to be aware of, especially since there seem to be a good number of us in the over-50 crowd!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
Sad story, my friend. Very tough........I don't know all the particulars, but I believe you should NOT get rid of your guitar/gears. Since it's not Alzheimer's, using your mind should be good for healing. Even if you have to go back to lyric charts and other ways to remember, it would seem that would help you improve.......Just don't stop. I hope you keep playing.
I agree. I had a serious motorcycle accident in 1978 that, among other things left me with some memory issues. I can remember the chords to most of the songs I've been playing since I was a kid, but words often escape me. Whenever I play out I generally have a small notebook of songs for what I'm planning on playing that night, plus a couple extra in case I decide to change it a little.

When I was voicing my frustration to a fellow musician friend who works in rehab with severely brain-injured people, he just chuckled and said, "Most of the people I work with would love to have your problem. At least you can still read. Just think of your notebook as your brain prosthesis and keep playing."

Yeah, ya oughta keep playing.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man View Post
Dave... really glad to hear of this turn around... AND... If you want the guitar I bought from you I'll be more than happy to sell it back to you.... not that I'm displeased with it in any way....

I have experienced a wonderful blessing myself.... For much to long to remember I have suffered from lower back and related leg pain.... even after major back surgery 5+ years ago.... I was extremely exhausted all of the time... NO energy... had to mentally will myself even to get out of bed...

About 3 weeks ago I was visiting a doctor about an intestinal problem and after his treating me for that problem he casually asked me how I was feeling otherwise. I explained my back/leg problems to him and he quickly told me what he felt might be the problem and gave me a sample of LYRICA to try.... Lyrica is a medicine to treat nerve damage...

WOW WOW WOW... I had no idea that I was getting almost no sleep.... I felt like I was 20+ years younger starting the very first day.... it's been a little over 3 weeks now and I still am giving thanks to Him...

Hope this gives hope to others who may be suffering from some chronic condition.... bob
No, I wouldn't want to have it back. Especially not after that glowing review you gave it. I know it has a good home. The guy who bought my flamed maple/Adi OM has messaged me twice he wants to return it to me. He read my NGD post about it and said he has lost sleep ever since taking it back home. He said it was obvious to him my attachment to the guitar and he feels it was made just for me and he has remorse for "tempting" me with the money he offered for it. He insists he can not keep it and doesn't want paid back for it. Nothing I've said has dissuaded him from it. I would actually be fine with the Ovation Balladeer Special I found recently as my only guitar. It was basically in unplayed condition and was a special order with a cedar top, cutaway, OP30 preamp, and I especially like the wide abalone rosette that is made of very bright, distinctive shell pieces. It has "that" Ovation sound us roundback fans live for.

Glad to hear about Lyrica making a new man out of you. My doc some time back suggested I take an anti depressant as well as the pain meds. I said I wasn't depressed. This one wasn't the usual Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It was a Selective Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor. After it kicked in I discovered to my surprise my pain issues did actually have me extremely depressed. With the depression lifted I felt more alive than I had for years. I was motivated again to do things. There definitely is better living through chemistry, I don't care what Tom Cruise thinks about it.

I'm definitely glad to be another statistic of the varied types of help people have gotten from this forum. And a special thanks to the pharmacist on here whose advice helped immensely! (I'd call you out by name but don't know if you want the recognition?)

Last edited by DaveKell; 09-03-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybanjo View Post
Great news!!! if you want to use the Tonerite let me know.
I just might take ya up on that. I can't remember (lol) but are you the person who loaned me one before and didn't want any compensation for it?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Dave,

I've followed your threads and hesitated to reply but am glad to hear things are better for you. My memory and playing skills have diminished in the past few years. Health issues expedited my retirement. I was also told my memory issues could be related to multiple anesthesia events (10). I was a bit frustrated the other day playing at a gathering of friends struggling to get through a song I used to know and play well. Music however is important for my well being so I will continue with it as long as I can.

Good luck as you continue to find your "new normal".

Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 AM

Dave,

I'm glad to hear you are "back in the saddle".

As a Licensed Massage therapist that specializes in pain relief it is no surprise to me that you had depression born out of pain issues.

I suffered from intense and chronic pain issues for over a decade that made me depressed. I waited for a long overdue hip replacement (like an idiot) and ended up self medicating w/alcohol. For me - new hip = new lease on life.

I'm glad that you are back playing guitar - but most of all, glad you feel better.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 AM

Cool Thinking about Packing It In...

Dave, I can sympathize with you as I have been having similar thoughts, due to a series of medical issues, along with depression, and OC Personality Disorder. Then I got Prostate Cancer, and was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, which (thankfully) remains inactive. Then came a bout with Bacterial Pneumonia and when I was being treated in the hospital, a bacterial infection developed on my heart valve! It took me 8 months to recover from my heart-valve replacement surgery, and I had a lot of time to think what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

As a graphic designer, with experience as a computer technician, and a keen eye for detail, I decided to expand my guitar collection. My only guitar at the time was a '77 Yamaha FG-375S Jumbo Folk model, which I had been playing since 1984, when I bought it from a small guitar shop. Even though it was a beautiful sounding and looking instrument, Solid Sitka top with rosewood back & side, and wood marquetry body purfling with a matching rosette, I decided I wanted to own a Martin guitar. I found an early Martin DXME, being sold as a project guitar, having been damaged in shipment. After fixing it, I had to learn how to do a proper setup, which was a real good education...with a lot of research. I picked up a small Marshall 15W amp at the local pawn shop for a great price, and my GAS eventually got me. The all HPL guitar suited my needs, but then I wanted to find an all solid wood Martin. There was a Martin D-35 (with a passive aftermarket pickup) available on eBay. I negotiated a great price because it had a fair amount of "bear claw" and I loved the bassy sound and the bear claw look.

All this searching for iconic guitars has kept me quite busy, lots of research, communication with sellers, negotiating prices, and fixing up a guitar so they sound exceptional has been loads of fun, and very gratifying...a reason to keep playing.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion