The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 02:06 PM

I debated on if I thought I should respond to this thread or not, but regardless of the wisdom of responding or not if there is a chance that my story be encouragement to you, it is something I should share with you.

Two and half years ago I thought my days of playing the guitar were over. I thought my days of playing anything were over. A severe arthritic condition that seemed to be the perfect storm where arthritis surrounding the inflamed tendon in my shoulder was leveraging off of each other. The only thing that seemed to help were stabilization, pain killers, muscle relaxers, and anti-inflammatory meds.

I could not raise my hand from my side more than 3-4 inches without pain emitting from the shoulder across my back and down my arm to my fingers. I had to use my right hand to raise my left hand to the desktop in front of me so I could type on the keyboard and do my job. It wasn't pretty

Today, I play my guitars, can put on a **** without help, drive, and have almost all of my motion restored. The medications I took to minimize the symptoms of the condition did nothing to diminish the issue, they only made it less unbearable.

I know what that meant to me and how troubling it was, so in that regard I feel for your situation and think I understand a dimension of your pain, but also realize that what you're dealing with is different. It is different not just because it is an affliction of a different part of the body but it is YOUR body and happening to you. So I get it.

I'm not sure what your faith structure is and I'm not going to throw this into a religious discussion, but I want you to know that miracles do happen everyday, and I attribute my prognosis not to the doctors or anything other than divine intervention on my behalf. I'm evidence of that. There wasn't an amazing medical procedure that restored my motion and removed the debilitating pain.

I would suggest like others that you continue to play as it is a therapy like none other that engages the physical, mental and spirit. If you're uncomfortable with performing then you may want to consider getting into recording as a performance art to replace the stage.

Perhaps hanging it up isn't as much in order as shifting gears and finding a new way to involve what you enjoy in a different way.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Please do not despair. I went to see Glen Campbell in his farewell (due to alzheimers') concert a little while back. His guitar playing was amazing. And he was having a great time while surrounded by his family onstage. His playing was automatic and probably due to muscle memory. He did however, use a monitor at his feet to read the lyrics. He messed up a few times during his performance but kept right on like a pro, even joking about his goofs.
Please don't give up playing, go until you have your guitar taken away from you. It will always make you feel good, even if you don't remember it later.
Not making light of your plight. This is advice coming from a person who has that aweful disease in the immediate family.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Dave, I sort of agree with the second poster, if it is not fun, why do it.

But I would also put forward that if I could remember all the songs I learned since taking up acoustic guitar in 1990 (I am 61 now) I could be on the road! As least as I can see, songs come and go, you may remember you knew how to play it but can't remember any other bit about it. So what? If you can sit on your front porch and learn a new, one good for you! Move on. You play for you.

Hope that everything works out for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:33 PM

I agree with those who question why there needs to be a decision. At some point, you may rather not play than play, and it’ll be gradual. Enjoy the ride as best you can for now.

Shared a school program in NC recently with Dennis Cash (a Pied Piper if ever there was one), who was recently elected to the Old-Time Music Hall of Fame--and he performs with an iPad on a mic stand (mic or no), containing set lists, lyrics & chords. Easier to manage than paper song sheets or sheet music on a flimsy folding stand. I know people who’ve been using lyric sheets since their 40s, and it doesn’t keep them from getting gigs or relating to their audiences. If anything, it expands their repertoire. I’ll sometimes use printed lyrics if I’m playing a brand new song in a writers’ exchange (where new songs and critique are expected) or seldom-performed covers for which I get a request.

Recently, I’ve had a couple of instances of left hand paresthesia in my pinkie, caused by neck arthritis--I remember how to make the chords, but my pinkie refuses to behave and sometimes even goes numb. I just roll with it and say “take 2; and call me in the morning.” Stuff happens. If I know it’s going to happen, I alter the chord melody to take that finger out of the equation.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
I debated on if I thought I should respond to this thread or not, but regardless of the wisdom of responding or not if there is a chance that my story be encouragement to you, it is something I should share with you.

Two and half years ago I thought my days of playing the guitar were over. I thought my days of playing anything were over. A severe arthritic condition that seemed to be the perfect storm where arthritis surrounding the inflamed tendon in my shoulder was leveraging off of each other. The only thing that seemed to help were stabilization, pain killers, muscle relaxers, and anti-inflammatory meds.

I could not raise my hand from my side more than 3-4 inches without pain emitting from the shoulder across my back and down my arm to my fingers. I had to use my right hand to raise my left hand to the desktop in front of me so I could type on the keyboard and do my job. It wasn't pretty

Today, I play my guitars, can put on a **** without help, drive, and have almost all of my motion restored. The medications I took to minimize the symptoms of the condition did nothing to diminish the issue, they only made it less unbearable.

I know what that meant to me and how troubling it was, so in that regard I feel for your situation and think I understand a dimension of your pain, but also realize that what you're dealing with is different. It is different not just because it is an affliction of a different part of the body but it is YOUR body and happening to you. So I get it.

I'm not sure what your faith structure is and I'm not going to throw this into a religious discussion, but I want you to know that miracles do happen everyday, and I attribute my prognosis not to the doctors or anything other than divine intervention on my behalf. I'm evidence of that. There wasn't an amazing medical procedure that restored my motion and removed the debilitating pain.

I would suggest like others that you continue to play as it is a therapy like none other that engages the physical, mental and spirit. If you're uncomfortable with performing then you may want to consider getting into recording as a performance art to replace the stage.

Perhaps hanging it up isn't as much in order as shifting gears and finding a new way to involve what you enjoy in a different way.
Perhaps your situation had nothing to do with faith nor anything divine. Perhaps what you injured just healed, as most things in the body do given enough time and rest.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM

Ending something as meaningful and enjoyable as pickin' on your terms seems important to you. You will make the right choice for you.

Why do you play guitar?
What is it about your situation that challenges the reason why you play?
Is this about guitar, or is this about desiring to make an empowered choice to exhibit some control over a situation in which you feel very little control?

Those are some of the questions I'd be pondering. Hang in there brother.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickitPaul View Post
Very true! That is why I think dogs (and cats) have been around us is to teach - we can learn a lot by observing them.... never give up & live life in the present.
One thing dogs and cats can teach us humans: They never arise from resting without stretching. Most guitar players consistently put their necks and upper thoracic spinal segments in a bad position, and stay in that position for hours at times, Then they wonder why some brilliant radiologist or physician tells them they have arthritis of the spine, adversely affecting their arms, hands, and proprioception. Then many of us start thinking, "I have bad genes"
Don't be a couch potato musician, keep moving, stretching, strengthening.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
I made a comment alluding to this on another thread recently. I'm struggling with a decision about a problem I want to be out in front of instead of it winning out over me. I am experiencing a growing problem remembering how to play my repertoire. I'm not worried about Alzheimers because I fail all of the tests to detect its onset, but the problem is progressing too fast for me to ignore.

I was declared totally disabled three years ago after a thorough process involving a psychiatric interview. It was to determine if I was indeed an intractable chronic pain patient, which is the basis for the total disability decision. I take two meds for it daily that I insist on taking half of what the doctor prescribes for me. A side effect of one is short term memory issues. I was also told by my surgeon who is a family friend that the fact that I was given general anesthesia for 18 major surgeries every15-18 months apart could be the reason as well.

In any case, I am struggling with deciding to pack it in as far as playing guitar goes. I want it to be my decision instead of having it forced on me. Picking has been part of who I am for over forty years and it's a devastating thought to walk away from it. Then again, the worrying about it I am doing isn't healthy either. I guess I am psyching myself up for the day coming when I say it's been a good ride, but it's over now. I have to admit it is one of the hardest thoughts that has ever weighed on my mind. It is what it is.
I don't know you and I'm new here and to playing guitar, but I am sorry to
hear this. Hopefully things will turn around for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Playing a musical instrument is definitely exercising the brain; in fact, it pretty much utilizes all areas of the brain. That can only be a good thing. The brain is a lot like muscle; it needs use and stimulation to stay healthy and strong. Physical exercise is also very important for brain health and can improve cognitive functioning, including short-term memory. I know you have a chronic pain condition and I don't know what your physical limitations are, but if there is any type of exercise you can do 30 min at least 3x's a week, that too can only improve your general health and may help your short term memory.

Pain certainly affects cognitive functioning, as anyone who has every had to work/study/take an important test while suffering from a severe headache or toothache can relate to. And, prescription pain medications can cause memory impairment, as can some other medications as well. Pain can also interfere with sleep, and some sleep medications can interfere with REM sleep, which is very important for restorative sleep. If you're not getting enough sleep, or enough quality sleep, that too can affect cognitive functioning.

Have you explored the use of complementary therapies that could be helpful in controlling pain, reducing stress, and aiding sleep? Yoga, hypnotherapy, mindfulness meditation, to name a few. The last, mindfulness meditation, has been proven to be effective with chronic pain patients, as well as many other benefits. If you live near a hospital that offers the Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction program, which teaches mindfulness meditation specifically for chronic pain patients, it would be well worth checking into.

I hope you find something that helps, my friend. Whatever you do, don't give up on your guitar playing. Adapt, but don't quit. Lots of people use an ipad app for lyrics and chords or tab. And do explore all the options out there for managing your pain and memory issues. Just because you haven't found sufficient help yet doesn't mean you won't.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Don't be a couch potato musician, keep moving, stretching, strengthening.
+1

Another thing not mentioned yet is that you have wisdom to pass on. Write your story or mentor a kid. Showing us what you got doesn't just have to be only in the context of playing a guitar.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
…I have to admit it is one of the hardest thoughts that has ever weighed on my mind. It is what it is.
Hi DaveK...

So sorry and I'm praying you will know when and how to meet that decision if it indeed arrives, and that you are supported in the decision.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Chronic pain leads to depression.

Loss of perceived self-worth related to a disability is a major factor in depression.

Your description of your issues sounds like a text book case of clinical depression.

You have serious life-altering factors that can lead to this, so it is not a sign of weakness to admit it.

Please talk to your doctor about a non-narcotic SNRI medication like Cymbalta, (which recently went generic) or Effexor and see if in a few weeks your mood turns around.

Last edited by FluffyDog6; 08-11-2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hello Dave,
I am not walking in your shoes, so I won't pretend to have an inkling about what you're going through, or how you're dealing with it.

I'll just say this: If you totally stop playing, you'll lose a lot more, at a quicker pace, than if you just kept playing.

Yes, you may have to raise your 'frustration threshold' a bit so that you don't beat yourself up too much.

Music is a very therapeutic thing on many levels. You're still in a position to derive a lot more positive energy from it.

It's also a large part of what make up 'Dave Kell'. Don't kick it down the street so fast.

My best wishes for your future!

Howard Emerson
I appreciate all the comments made about this thread so far, it was more than I anticipated. The pain meds I take contribute a great deal to the memory issues. I'd be toast if I ever was a suspect for some crime and a cop asked me where I was last Saturday night and what was I doing. I regularly play a game of trying to remember what I ate for supper the night before. I usually get it but not without intense effort.

It's very frustrating to begin playing a fingerstyle piece and suddenly have the flow of memory cease and be unable to finish it. Playing guitar is such a big part of my self identity. I have tried to be a hero and take half the dosage of meds I am prescribed, but wake up every night around 3am from pain unable to go back to sleep and get up and sit on the couch reading guitar forums.

I have no issue with strumming chords and playing them along with a song, at least not yet. I long ago got bored with that level of playing though. I realize a lot of people would love to be able to just get to that point. When I was certified as totally disabled from chronic intractable pain I thought my full time job would be to master playing fingerstyle with all the hours I would have available to me. That was three years ago. I made great progress early on but around 6 months ago it went to pieces with forgetting major parts of everything I try to play. The mental debilitation of worrying about it doesn't help. I intend to hang with it as long as I can, but if it gets worse I will give up with dignity and have a great memory of the four decades when I could play. Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 AM

We'll it's apparent that you're not alone in your situation. Many of us are or will be facing these issues down the road. The only advice I could offer is to maybe just forget about songs you've learned in the past. Just noodle, and maybe write some songs of your own. I've been playing guitar for 50 years and my playing has changed in the last five or so from constantly learning someone else's songs (then struggling to remember lyrics in my case), to writing my own songs. Now, 90% of my playing is spent on my own songs and it's been a new source of inspiration for me. It doesn't have to involve lyrics. Find a nice melody then try to fit in the framework of a song. So, I guess I agree with many others on here that I think you should follow your doctor's advice regarding your meds, and keep playing, but make your own songs even if it means a new one every day.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckhart View Post
We'll it's apparent that you're not alone in your situation. Many of us are or will be facing these issues down the road. The only advice I could offer is to maybe just forget about songs you've learned in the past. Just noodle, and maybe write some songs of your own. I've been playing guitar for 50 years and my playing has changed in the last five or so from constantly learning someone else's songs (then struggling to remember lyrics in my case), to writing my own songs. Now, 90% of my playing is spent on my own songs and it's been a new source of inspiration for me. It doesn't have to involve lyrics. Find a nice melody then try to fit in the framework of a song. So, I guess I agree with many others on here that I think you should follow your doctor's advice regarding your meds, and keep playing, but make your own songs even if it means a new one every day.
Excellent advice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion