The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Default Burner guitars? Worth a punt?

Hi guys, im in the market for a spruce/cocobolo acoustic just to try something different.

In late 2011 I placed an order for a custom guitar with these specs. Suffice to say I havent heard a word from the luthier since late Jan this year despite polite emails and phone calls that went unheeded.

Suffice to say im wary about considering another custom guitar...

That said Ive heard good things about Burner Guitars. Anyone have positive experiences with them?

My other option is buy a production guitar and just be done with it, hence consideration for a PRS Tonare Grand!

Regards
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM

You are buying a custom guitar and luthier is unresponsive? Hummmm. Can't wait to see the customer service if you have a problem.

You are wise to bail on your custom order. There are many fine luthiers who will build you a glorious guitar. Burner? Be curious myself to see a post on Burner.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM

I should mention that more than half the price of that order was paid for already. Hurts like hell!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM

When this happens it indicates that the builder has no respect for his clients, or, something is being hidden. At the very least the builder could email that everything is fine but he hates to communicate with the client......And while this is understandable, it does not speak well of the builder, does it?

Business IS a package. Not all artists should be in business.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM

You'll find several threads in the custom section about Burner guitars all of them, including mine, extremely happy with what the Burner's are able to turn out at incredible prices.

Mine took longer (2 years) from order to delivery, but that was my choice since I live overseas and wanted to pick it up when I was back in the States. Even while I was waiting, they were extremely responsive, very flexible helping me to incorporate all the unique design elements and in determining other things like what kind of pickup, what case, etc. Every time I wrote, they were very responsive and thorough in making sure they (and I) understood what I wanted.

Besides the communication and price, the build quality is outstanding. I've not owned other luthier built guitars, but I've owned several Taylors (in my sig) a Martin D28 and a handful of others and this surpasses them all in every regard. You can find other threads from people who have also owned guitars in the five-figure range and none of them give the impression that they are left wanting with their Burner guitar.

Anyhow, please feel free to email or PM me if you've got any other questions. You can find my build thread here if you want the beginning-to-end story. Best of luck in trying to turn a sour situation into a great NGD story

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitbuqa View Post
I should mention that more than half the price of that order was paid for already. Hurts like hell!
I see small claims court in your future. Four months of unreturned phone calls and e-mails? Time for your deposit back plus interest and court/attorney's fees, if you can find said "luthier."
Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You'll find several threads in the custom section about Burner guitars all of them, including mine, extremely happy with what the Burner's are able to turn out at incredible prices.

Mine took longer (2 years) from order to delivery, but that was my choice since I live overseas and wanted to pick it up when I was back in the States. Even while I was waiting, they were extremely responsive, very flexible helping me to incorporate all the unique design elements and in determining other things like what kind of pickup, what case, etc. Every time I wrote, they were very responsive and thorough in making sure they (and I) understood what I wanted.

Besides the communication and price, the build quality is outstanding. I've not owned other luthier built guitars, but I've owned several Taylors (in my sig) a Martin D28 and a handful of others and this surpasses them all in every regard. You can find other threads from people who have also owned guitars in the five-figure range and none of them give the impression that they are left wanting with their Burner guitar.

Anyhow, please feel free to email or PM me if you've got any other questions. You can find my build thread here if you want the beginning-to-end story. Best of luck in trying to turn a sour situation into a great NGD story
That's the thingfor me, waiting is not a problem if there was regular contact and communication of that fact.

Might be the plan to go seeing as I have a lot of leave saved up and 1-2years is enough to pay it off comfortably!

Sent the Burners an e-mail, weighing them up as an option currently! Wish I had put $1500 down on them as a deposit in hindsight!

Quote:
I see small claims court in your future. Four months of unreturned phone calls and e-mails? Time for your deposit back plus interest and court/attorney's fees, if you can find said "luthier."
Alas not much recourse from an overseas based nationality?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
That's the thingfor me, waiting is not a problem if there was regular contact and communication of that fact.

Might be the plan to go seeing as I have a lot of leave saved up and 1-2years is enough to pay it off comfortably!

Sent the Burners an e-mail, weighing them up as an option currently! Wish I had put $1500 down on them as a deposit in hindsight!

Alas not much recourse from an overseas based nationality?
I'm no lawyer but it wouldn't make much sense to me if you didn't have some avenue of recourse just because you happen to live in another country. In addition, I commissioned a guitar from a luthier I found out about through this forum, Dennis Kwasnycia, and the process couldn't have been better. There are of course "bad apples" in all professions but from what I've read this is very much the exception.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:52 PM

I haven't played a Burner, but they're very thoughtful luthiers. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 AM

One of the reasons this forum is great for people looking at custom builders....pretty much all of the builders who are sponsors of this forum are stand-up folks.

I have been watching Paul and Kyle's progress ever since they first took a guitar building class with the late Kevin Gallagher of Omega Guitars. I currently have a build in progress with them and I'm very confident that they will do a stellar job.

Other builders that I can personally vouch for are Stehr Guitars, Razo Guitars, Kolaya Guitars, Fay Guitars, Kwasnycia Guitars, Cornerstone Guitars, Edwinson Guitars, Batson Guitars, and Gwaltney Guitars.

Although I haven't had the pleasure of commissioning a build with them, I would also recommend Osthoff Guitars, LeGeyt Guitars, Mayes Guitats and Saville Guitars based on my past interactions with them.

Then again, like I said before, pretty much all of the luthiers listed as sponsors of the AGF have had good reviews in various threads in the forum, not the least of whom is Tim McKnight of McKnight Guitars.

I think if your leaning toward the Burners for a reason, go for it! Give them a call, get on their build list and enjoy the ride...keep in mind that there may not be a lot of communication needed until the build is about to begin, however they definitely won't go "incommunicado" on you for four months, no matter where you are on the build list, or during the build process.

Aloha,

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play

Last edited by hnuuhiwa; 05-22-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sent the Burners an e-mail, weighing them up as an option currently!
We just became aware of this thread and appreciate the kind comments that have been made.

I am terribly sorry to hear about your difficulties with your other commissioned build. We may not be the fastest builders (day jobs get in the way) but we strive to keep communication going during the entire process.

I am not aware of an email coming in from you - and that concerns me. I want to make sure we did not miss something from you. Maybe we just didn't connect your AGF name with the email.

Please feel free to go to our website and fill our our inquiry form if you haven't already: http://burnerguitars.com/ordering/

If you HAVE already done this, please contact me so we know how to match you with your email address.

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop