The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-06-2015, 12:17 PM

Default need advice on setup and feedback

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I am 56 years old and not at all a techie. I just got back into playing after working my whole life and now I am disabled but can still play. I have a Martin D18 with a Fishman ellipse and a Fishman loudbox artist. I am also using a Tc Helicon play acoustic. I have been plugging the tc helicon into the loudbox. Being that I'm not a techie and getting old I am lost with all the settings and hookup. I am getting feedback without being turned up too loud and it also seems like I am not using my equipment to its potential. The few tc helicon videos on youtube arent very helpful and part of my disability is causing problems with my comprehension. Does anyone know where I can turn to for advice on the equipment I am using? Thank you.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:22 PM

I'd first try taking the "Tc Helicon play acoustic" out of the signal chain. You don't need it.

Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: Are you getting feedback from the vocals or the guitar? There is a gain setting on the side of that vocal pedal. Try turning that down.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:31 PM

From the guitar. I do know about the control knob on the side. So you mean plug the guitar in to the amp and not through the tc helicon? Just use the tc helicon for harmonies and not the guitar effects it has to offer? Thank you!

Last edited by Tim1958; 07-06-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: say thanks
Old 07-06-2015, 12:35 PM

Well I think you need to have the guitar plugged into it for the harmonies to work. Thats the reason I quit using those pedals.

Try turning the gain down on the guitar channel and/or re-position the amp away from you.
also try the phase button on the Fishman ellipse.

It seems like the guitar signal is too hot. Is there a gain on the Fishman ellipse itself? Im only a lil familiar with them.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM

Thanks Chitz , I did turn the amp away and ran the guitar straight into the amp. The guy I am playing with has had cancer and cant sing harmony so we almost have to have it .it will still work because it picks up the sound through some sort of ambient mic onthe side of the pedal. I'm going to try and cover the soundhole I guess. Thanks again Chitz...
Old 07-06-2015, 05:47 PM

Check page 56 in your Play Acoustic manual. There are some good tips there that may help. Check far column to the right "Simple Steps".

Also, try TC Helicon Forum for more ideas. http://support.tc-helicon.com/forums...76-Play-Series. Great people there too with lots of experience for this equipment.

I use the Play Acoustic with the Loudbox Mini. Younger, more talented people tell me the Play Acoustic is not needed, but I think it helps my voice a ton. I am 53 and not too Techy either.

Simple first. As Chitz suggested, point the amp away from you and keep some distance. The sound hole plug is also a good idea.

On the Play Acoustic, Try lowering one setting at a time. In the "set-up" button, make sure you adjust the guitar setting so when you strum the guitar hard, the little light on the top of the unit does not go to red. Ideal is green. Do this first. Then Under the "mix" button, try lowering the Guitar level on the Play Acoustic, then try the lowering the overall output. Then crank up the Loudbox volume to to set the overall volume level. Guitar gain and vocal gain are what makes the effects in the Play Acoustic work well. Setting the gain for both first (watch the little light) is important to controlling problems later in the signal path.

Make some notes on a notepad where you are before you start. So you can always go back to where you began... If all else fails.

Good luck and reply back if I can help, I'll try.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 AM

Thanks Marty, all good advice I will try all of that.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 AM

I have an acoustic play also. Although not needed, it really helps my old tired vocals cut through. My suggestion would be to get just your amp with guitar and mike to sound good and get used to it. Then work on getting the effects pedal in the signal chain. I don't use my effects pedal for much more than a good strong vocal. I have it set for a one higher harmony and use it sparingly and in the back ground.

If you have feedback issues you may want to consider using the mini as a monitor and invest in a powered speaker out front. Or even another mini.

RPK
Old 07-07-2015, 08:13 AM

Tim,
I don't think you mentioned how you were connecting the VLP to your Loudbox. Are you using two cables, one from the "Guitar DI(R)" output to the guitar channel of the Loudbox and another cable from the "Voice(L)" to the Mic channel of the amp? Supposedly the VLP Acoustic defaults to the outputs setup for this configuration, but thought it may be worth asking about your cable connections.
I have a VLP GTX which is sort of the same, but the connectability is a slightly different.

Boy, a bunch of young guys here. I'm 67 and still having fun playing
Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum! You mentioned that your guitar pickup is a Fishman Ellipse. That pickup comes with an internal mic (you should be able to see it through the sound hole.) Does the guitar have a preamp thingy attached to the sound hole? If so, it should have a "volume" and a "blend" dial.

Start by turning the "blend" to zero mic. i.e., no microphone in the signal at all and then increase the dial until you get feedback. Usually a mic can only be 25% of the overall signal and sometimes you'll need it off completely. It will feedback very easily in a loud or band situation.

Last edited by stevecuss; 07-08-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Thanks a lot everybody and I will try to work on those solutions. I think the first thing I will try is turning the gain down on the setup settings that someone mentioned. I did turn the blend all the way over to the saddle pickup and still had feedback. The one thing I forgot to mention is I'm getting feedback from the vocal mic also. I am happy to be among friends here since I live in the middle of nowhere and now have somewhere to turn with my comments and questions. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:29 PM

Hi Tim,

You have great gear with great tools built in for feedback elimination!

(As Marty said) Step 1: make sure your gains are set properly---vocals and guitar. Then start with the mic on the Ellipse off. Next, use the phase switch---one setting will most likely sound better than the other. When the guitar feedback hits as you get louder, turn the notch (anti-feedback) knob on the Fishman Artist until the feedback diminishes. Then slowly introduce more mic from the Ellipse and adjust as necessary. You also have a parametric eq built into the Play Acoustic; it's a powerful tool for eliminating feedback so you should take some time to learn how to use it.

Also to note: bass frequencies resonate around the speaker cab so if you still have feedback then start putting more distance between you and the amp (as well as the amp with any walls).

Definitely use the TC Play acoustic as it's a fun and great piece of gear! Good luck!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

Last edited by Kalani; 07-15-2015 at 12:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification