The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Default Stage guitar - thoughts on this pickup sound?

Putting together a stage guitar and fitting pickups, this was recorded straight into Presonus s1 no eq but a bit of reverb added...can't decide what i think of the sound any thoughts? I guess some of the guys will even be able to name the pickup
https://soundcloud.com/rob-kay/acous...p-test/s-Jjeby
Thanks
Rob(UK)

Last edited by RobKay; 07-05-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Whatever it is, you'll likely need to roll off a little bass end in a live setting when the amplification is high enough for the guitar top to be interacting with speaker sound.

I personally like the directness of the pickup. It doesn't have any trace of that in-the-cave sound which one often gets with a soundboard pickup.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:36 PM

Thumbs up

Gary you are on the right track its not an sbt pickup, i guess.that doesn't leave too many options, i'll leave it up for a little while just in case anyone else wants to pitch in.
Rob(uk)
Old 07-05-2015, 03:26 PM

If we are supposed to be guessing, I'd guess the D-TAR Wavelength. I used it for years and its a pretty good pickup. They are shipped from the factory with a little bit of a bass boost, but that can adjusted on the strap-jack preamp.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Really nice Rib! Three thoughts:
  • I really like the overall amplified sound. The tone coloring is slight and very pleasant. I think it would take some compression and some chorus beautifully.
  • I'm pretty sure it's an UST, and I agree with guitaniac that it might be the WaveLength.
  • It would sound awesome run through the Fishman Aura Spectrum!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Thumbs up

Well its a 40 dollar Crafter acoustic from a junk sale with a Sunrise mag and 11 gauge daddario electric guitar strings, plays almost like an electric guitar.Sorry the purists won't like it

Rob
Old 07-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Sorry about picture size, cant figure this Samsung galaxy tab out...give me a proper computer anytime
Rob
Old 07-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Crafter makes some terrific guitars. I had a little rosewood/spruce OM size Crafter that I'd still have if the fretboard had been wider. Somebody told me that Taylor bought Crafter out, but I don't know how true that is. In any event, you got a terrific bargain on the guitar.

I'm surprised to learn its a mag pickup. I didn't hear that characteristic "electric" sound, but perhaps the Sunrise is just that good. In any event, feedback (from too much bass end) shouldn't be much of an issue with a magnetic pickup and a soundhole cover.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks, i was trying to get a really full acoustic type sound for backing a female singer up in quite a large series of venues, looks like i can get away without spending a fortune.
Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification