The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM

Ya it's pricey, that's why I want it set up right, so I get the full benefit of the two.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 PM

Well just out of curiosity, I went back into Audition to look at the graphs with EQ and with multi-band compression. There was a world of difference. So then I tried adding eq to a signal that was already compressed, and just like I said, it changed the compressed graph quite a bit. So the bottom line is you have to determine what kind of signal you want, a compressed signal, or an eq'ed signal, the difference is night and day.
After looking at these graphs, I d say if your going to run the eq last, don't even bother compressing the signal, you're just wasting your time and money on a multi-band unit.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-02-2015, 01:25 PM

Well here's a video that explains why you should EQ first THEN compress....he says he likes to scoup out bad frequencies first with the EQ....it's only a couple minutes long and worth watching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr5e5DdesBw
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-02-2015, 04:58 PM

MM, I have enjoyed reading your posts and the demoes that you have made have been helpful. However, I would suggest just going with what works best for you and be happy with whatever decision you make! Everyone is different and players have been running eq before and after compression for years. It's all up to personal tastes. Generally effects pedal manufacturers suggest putting compressors before eq pedals but most, if not all of them state that this is just a starting point and experimentation is encouraged. I personally like compressors before so that my eq settings actually impact my tone more but I can see why running the Session after the Venue could make sense.

On a side note, have you considered using the Session on its own?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
MM, I have enjoyed reading your posts and the demoes that you have made have been helpful. However, I would suggest just going with what works best for you and be happy with whatever decision you make! Everyone is different and players have been running eq before and after compression for years. It's all up to personal tastes. Generally effects pedal manufacturers suggest putting compressors before eq pedals but most, if not all of them state that this is just a starting point and experimentation is encouraged. I personally like compressors before so that my eq settings actually impact my tone more but I can see why running the Session after the Venue could make sense.

On a side note, have you considered using the Session on its own?
Yes I tried using the Session on it's own, before the Venue and after it...all sounded good. Technically though, the above video makes sense to me to run the eq first, eliminate any unwanted frequencies, then compress what's left over. Personally I don't care what you guys do. Run it anyway you want...I'm not trying to be a dictator here. Most people seem to say there's no hard and fast rule...but for my money, I want the compressor last in line, I think I'll get the most out of the Session by doing it this way. I don't want the Venue messing with the output of the Session.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the info! Any chance of an in depth demo showing what different settings will do?

It's mind blowing to me how everyone is sold out of this thing, yet I can't seem to find a single demo anywhere on the internet past the initial NAMM demos (and the couple quick ones here on AGF)!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwakefield06 View Post
Thanks for the info! Any chance of an in depth demo showing what different settings will do?

It's mind blowing to me how everyone is sold out of this thing, yet I can't seem to find a single demo anywhere on the internet past the initial NAMM demos (and the couple quick ones here on AGF)!
I have posted a few demo's of the Session, but they aren't that good. It's very difficult to capture the different settings. I can understand why there's not much in the demo department...It does sound great live though. Cranking up the gain knob really puts out a hot signal...it definitely adds a lot to the sound of my amp...that's why I like it !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I have posted a few demo's of the Session, but they aren't that good. It's very difficult to capture the different settings. I can understand why there's not much in the demo department...It does sound great live though. Cranking up the gain knob really puts out a hot signal...it definitely adds a lot to the sound of my amp...that's why I like it !!
Shoreline Music, an AGF sponsor, has them again per an email from them yesterday 6/2/2015
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Again here's my last demo of the Venue/Session with all my other gear too...it's the best sounding recording of it I have...remember though I also ran it thru the EQ and Multi-band compressor in Adobe's Audition which added a lot of sparkle to the mix...

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

It was a lot of work but I ended up with a fairly good recording....here's the chain I used...

D-35>Lyric>Venue>Session>Marshal AS50R>AT2020 mic>Fast Track interface>Computer>Sonar>Audition>mp3.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 06-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:46 PM

For those of you still looking for demo's, may I suggest you read over this whole thread from start to finish, paying close attention to the graphs I posted, they really show how much the Session affects your signal...after re-reading these graphs, it's obvious to me the Session is really making a big difference.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-05-2015, 07:26 AM

when there is a weak frequency=example = the midrange frequency, by selecting that frequency in the multiband compressor, would give volume?You can show us a video,how that exactly work Playing the guitar and you rotate the buttons?can i see this, and i listen play live from you?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 AM

I got a better idea, why don't you buy a Sessions unit and make me a demo video of you tweaking the knobs while playing ..??
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I got a better idea, why don't you buy a Sessions unit and make me a demo video of you tweaking the knobs while playing ..??
Not available in my area
Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
Not available in my area
Shoreline music will ship it to you.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-05-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Shoreline music will ship it to you.
thanks my friend

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification