The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM

Ya really, why bother compressing a signal then altering it by boosting and cutting your signal with the EQ...makes no sense to me...same goes for the other effects too... would you really want to add delay or reverb to mess up your compressed signal ?? I'm putting the Session at the very end of my effects chain and keeping it there.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-31-2015, 12:37 PM

That makes sense to me, that's why I have a Empress ParaEQ on the way. For me it will be: Lyric->Boss Tuner->ParaEQ->Session, and from there the DI will go to PA and the guitar out will go to my acoustic amp.

I'm getting plenty of natural reverb from the Lyric mic pick-up so no other reverb has been needed.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 PM

Any good quality EQ will do. I'm thinking about getting a reverb effect now, because I don't like the reverb in the Marshall amp. It's an old fashioned spring reverb and just doesn't sound that good.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-31-2015, 01:45 PM

I just found a new TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb pedal for a decent price..new in the opened box.....bought it.

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I just found a new TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb pedal for a decent price..new in the opened box.....bought it.

I've heard only good things about that pedal. Enjoy!
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-31-2015, 01:54 PM

Thanks, I did my due diligence by listening to many demo's of it...sounded really good to me. It'll give me lots of reverb options with my amp...luckily I found a new one on eBay in an opened box which saved me about $50 bucks from normal price....I've had very good luck by buying pedals off of eBay...I've saved a fortune..
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-31-2015, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Something for players to consider if they're looking for a full-blown combination vocal and guitar effects device would be the TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 and TC Helicon Play Acoustic. These devices feature instrumental reverbs and other effects from the TC Electronics TonePrint devices, such as The Hall Of Fame Reverb.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-31-2015, 02:28 PM

Interesting but I'm not in the market for a vocal harmonizer..I had one once and didn't like it...these units are also waay out of my price range...I've bought a lot of stuff the last couple weeks and need to slow down...I just want the basics for my effects collection...and am done buying for now....next up is to get the pedal board stained and varnished, then mount all my effects on it... This board should last me for many years...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post

The one downside of the TC Electronic pedals is that they have somewhat unreliable foot switches. You should check out the Digitech Polara.

As for which pedal should go where in the chain, I would put the Session first and then the DI second.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 PM

I listened to many demo's of the TC Electronics unit and read many reviews...all positive.

We have a difference of opinion. In my mind it makes no sense to compress a signal with the Session only to alter the signal after the fact with the Venue or any other effect. What's the point in compressing the signal only to change it ?? It makes no sense to me, but for arguments sake I did try putting the Session first and the Venue second and it sounded fine to me. So I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM

Thought I would copy and paste this response from Caleb when I asked the question on the Baggs Forum. What do you put first? the Chicken or the egg? I mean the Venue or the Session? Here is his reply:

Hey Vancebo,
That's a really good question. The order that you put your boxes in will make a difference in how they interact with each other. So it is something to consider.

In studio or live mixing, you can usually use EQ before or after compression to get a different effect. You can use EQ first to cut out specific frequencies or add others in that may be lacking. If you go into your multi-band compression after that, depending on your EQ settings, the compression might not need to work as hard. The compression should still be able to smooth out the tone though. In this setup, you may need to set a lower input gain on the Session to allow for any additional volume boost coming from the Venue's Boost switch. However, a lower gain setting on the Session will change the way that the Comp and Saturation interact with the incoming signal.

If you go into the Session first, which is what I prefer, you can get the Session gain optimized for the Saturation and Comp to get the most out of those features. Then you can go into the Venue, adjusting the EQ to fine-tune your overall sound.

So there isn't an absolute answer. I usually recommend trying both to see what you like better.

I hope that helps.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-01-2015, 01:33 PM

Ya I read this in the other thread...I hate to disagree with him, but I stand by my reasoning. I see no point in compressing a signal just to turn around then alter it...why bother ?? I'm doing everything I can to enhance the Session's effects...why drown it out with EQ ??
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

An Alternative Setup: Has anyone tried using the Session DI via an Effects Loop on either an acoustic amp or a mixer? This way, you'd get the guitar's "pure" pickup signal as EQ modified by the Venue coming in the Channel Input, and you could blend-in the desired amount of Session DI signal through the Effects Loop.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 06-01-2015, 02:10 PM

I don't want to "blend in " the amount of the Session effect. It's either all or nothing. I want a compressed signal, not a halfway compressed signal. Besides, I'm using my effects loop for my DD7 delay unit.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 06-01-2015, 02:11 PM

I just found this online but it's how I approach compression/eq in my electric chain. It's discussing putting eq before compression:

"The problem—and advantage—of this option is that the compression "undoes" some of the effects of the EQ. For example, if the EQ is set to boost a range of frequencies, compression will tend to bring that boost back down again. Conversely, if the EQ is being used to cut, compression will bring that range up a bit."

Again though, it's all in what you like. There's no right or wrong answer, you just have to decide what you want out of each unit. I will say this though, a Venue/Session set up is definitely pricey. I am hoping Lr Baggs combines the two but I am not counting on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification