The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-26-2015, 08:40 PM

Default Here's a quick demo of the Session DI I made...

Okay you guys wanted to hear an A/B test of the LR Baggs Session Di unit... okay here's a quick demo, it's one minute long, the first 30 seconds is WITHOUT the Session unit, the second 30 seconds is WITH the Session unit with the settings at 2:00 and the gain at 12:00. I used a cheapo MXL603 mic on the amp so the sound quality isn't that good but it will give you an idea of the difference. The amp settings remained the same on both samples....( DEMO 1 )

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

It actually sounds much better here than on this recording.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-27-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Thank you for uploading that! If I can be completely honest though, the only difference I really hear is with the overall volume. It sounds like the Session boosts your signal but does little else. It's actually boosted to the point where it sounds like it's on the edge of breakup/distortion.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Thank you for uploading that! If I can be completely honest though, the only difference I really hear is with the overall volume. It sounds like the Session boosts your signal but does little else. It's actually boosted to the point where it sounds like it's on the edge of breakup/distortion.
Yes it is distorting the signal in a few spots. It's doing plenty, it's difficult to capture the compression effect but it's very noticeable coming thru the amp when you're playing. Like I said this was a quicky demo recording hardly a professional job... I'm kind of tired tonight, I played out tonight and just got home and burned a quick demo by just throwing a mic in front of the amp. Listen a few times and you'll hear that the tone is much richer with the Session unit.

This is NOT a highly polished recording, believe me I could polish it all night and it would sound much different...I want it to be a rough recording.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-26-2015, 09:36 PM

I definitely still appreciate the audio clip! I am going to hold out on placing an order for a Session but might get one in the future once the rest of my rig is completed. I am hoping that Lr Baggs one day releases a pedal that has all of the features of the Venue with the added Session tonal options.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM

Now that I have the Session and the Venue, my rig is complete. I'm not planning anymore purchases in the foreseeable future.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Famous last words!
don't know how many times i said that to my wonderful wife.
Thanks for the clips and keep us posted on how it performs live.
davidc
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 AM

I prefered the sound "WITHOUT", although the volume on the second take was a bit louder and the overall tone was fuller.

But WITH, I thought, sounded a little to full. A little choked because it was stuffed full in a way.

Like the way I feel when I've eaten to much.

WITHOUT sounded more natural and more like the way I like an acoustic guitar to sound. I just would have liked the volume up a little.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 AM

Here's another demo of the Session only ...I plugged the D-35 directly into the Session and came out of the XLR jack on the Session and recorded directly into the computer. Again it's about 1 minute long, the first 30 seconds is with the Session's Saturation and Compression controls turned off, the second 30 second spot is with the controls turned up to the 2:00 position. You'll barely hear a difference but the signal is stronger on the second recording...I can see the difference on the graph in Sonar and Audition....you'll be better off if you listen to these demo's thru headphones....( DEMO 3 )

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-27-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Like most effects, once you can hear the effect, you have used too much. Compression ill used will suck the life out of a recording. I assume the same with the saturation effect. There is a sweet spot.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 AM

Here's my take: Any differences that you may hear through your amp are not very apparent to me other than the volume. Or is that the apparent effect? Is that the added boldness, warmth, richness, fullness, etc. that I am supposed to be hearing? I know it's the internet and all and there are some things we just can't appreciate.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Here's my take: Any differences that you may hear through your amp are not very apparent to me other than the volume. Or is that the apparent effect? Is that the added boldness, warmth, richness, fullness, etc. that I am supposed to be hearing? I know it's the internet and all and there are some things we just can't appreciate.
Like I said, I knew I'd have problems capturing the effect of this unit. The differences are subtle, not Earth shattering...but it does sound better live than my quicky recordings...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Like I said, I knew I'd have problems capturing the effect of this unit. The differences are subtle, not Earth shattering...but it does sound better live than my quicky recordings...
I'll bet. That's often the case. I'd think it feels better to you and that makes you play better. And that's almost impossible to show in a recording. Especially with such a critical audience as we have here...myself included.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM

Here's the graph of the two demo's I posted..you can see the difference...

Demo 1--

Demo 3--
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Here's another demo of the Session only ...I plugged the D-35 directly into the Session and came out of the XLR jack on the Session and recorded directly into the computer. Again it's about 1 minute long, the first 30 seconds is with the Session's Saturation and Compression controls turned off, the second 30 second spot is with the controls turned up to the 2:00 position. You'll barely hear a difference but the signal is stronger on the second recording...I can see the difference on the graph in Sonar and Audition....you'll be better off if you listen to these demo's thru headphones....( DEMO 3 )

On this demo, I like the fuller tone when the guitar is going through the Session DI with the device doing its thing (a bit of distortion, though, that maybe could be removed with gain staging or dialing-in less effect?). My question is: When using your amp, have you tried removing the Session DI and tried using your amp's tone controls to achieve a fullness of tone similar to what the Session DI gives you when it's engaged?

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-27-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:51 PM

The little bit of digital distortion you hear, The snaps and pops, is cause by the Session simply overdriving the computer program, which could be fixed by simply lowering the gain on my Fast Track USB interface...it's just a technical glitch on my part as I'm rushing the demo's because I'm short on time because I've been gigging Tuesday and tonight as well.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification