The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2015, 03:18 AM

Default Effects pedals for acoustic

I am VERY new to the "amplified acoustics" game, but might be interested in adding a little bit of effects colour to my sound palette.

I have just installed a K&K Pure Mini in my Bedell HGM-17-G (relatively inexpensive, but very nice guitar IMO, Grand Auditorium sized with solid Cedar top and laminated mahogany sides and bottom). Sounds really nice and clean through an Acus One-6 amp. I am playing in a small group of piano, bass, and acoustic guitar (me) + vocals.

So, now I was wondering where to start out with regards to adding a couple of subdued effects - nothing too radical, just to add a little flavour. I have my eyes on a couple of Boss pedals (Super Chorus CH-1 and Digital Reverb RV-2), but I would like your input as to whether this is a sensible plan, and especially whether I am going to need a pre-amp with the K&K Pure Mini in this type of setup (bear in mind this is a passive pickup).

As you may have come to suspect, I am pretty clueless, so I would really appreciate a bit of education on this!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:39 AM

I use pedals with my acoustics alot. Haven't found a Boss CH pedal that I liked.
Reverb and a touch of chorus go well together, as does delay. Zoom makes a good multi-effect pedal, blue colour, MS70C or something like that, relatively new on the market. You can miix and match reverb, chorus, delay, tremelo, and others.

Welcome to the never-ending search for tone....it's fun and rewarding.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 AM

I use 3 pedals. Boss CS-3, CH-1, RV-5.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:57 AM
Cocobologist

A Zoom G3 is an excellent option for you. Although designed for electric guitar, it sounds great with acoustics and offers up every effect you could ever need (And several you'll never use), with excellent sound quality and very reasonable price. I use mine often and have set up a preset that gives me EQ, chorus, reverb, delay, compression and a noise gate. It also has a phrase looper built in. Has a balanced (XLR) output as well as mono/stereo 1/4" outputs.

Priced new at $149 at all the usual online stores, The Zoom G3 provides excellent value.

Link -- http://www.zoom-na.com/products/guit...imulator-pedal

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 07-03-2015, 09:17 AM

There's also the Zoom A3, which is designed for acoustic guitars:

http://www.zoom-na.com/products/guit...coustic-guitar

I've been very happy with the T.C. Electronics Flashback Delay for my acoustics. There have been a couple of threads here lately about distortion pedals and chorus pedals for acoustics, and the T.C. Electronics Corona Chorus got some love from people on the latter, and I know a lot of people use the T.C. Hall of Fame Reverb.

I have a now discontinued Fishman AFX reverb pedal, which I like very much, but for reverb I usually just use the effects engines on my mixers or my amp.

Louis
Old 07-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Guest4562

A Ditto looper (sparingly used) and a volume pedal. I add some 'verb at the board.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
A Zoom G3 is an excellent option for you. Although designed for electric guitar, it sounds great with acoustics and offers up every effect you could ever need (And several you'll never use), with excellent sound quality and very reasonable price. I use mine often and have set up a preset that gives me EQ, chorus, reverb, delay, compression and a noise gate. It also has a phrase looper built in. Has a balanced (XLR) output as well as mono/stereo 1/4" outputs.

Priced new at $149 at all the usual online stores, The Zoom G3 provides excellent value.

Link -- http://www.zoom-na.com/products/guit...imulator-pedal
Another BIG thumbs-up here for the G3; it will be all you need and much more, but with very easy -- dare I say Sean-proof -- tweakability. An amazing value, in my book. I had also tried the A3 and far preferred the G3, for that that's worth...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-03-2015, 12:41 PM

Not trying to turn this into a Zoom G3 love fest, but here's another vote for it. Before moving to a TC Helicon VL3, I used a Zoom G3 with my Taylor 214 and Ovation Elite. Depending on other factors I would use a Zoom A2 and a BBE Acoustimax at times for tone shaping and the G3 for the effects. The G3 is currently sitting in my closet as a back up to the VL3 in case I have issues with it.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:47 PM

Like 'duck, I also have an RV-5 and I really like it with the acoustic! I'm using a DD-7 for now, but a Flashback x4 is coming my way soon, so we'll see.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 07-03-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanks everyone - lots of useful info here!

Do you reckon I can plug in directly from my passive K&K Pure Mini pickup - or do I need a preamp in between?
Old 07-03-2015, 04:06 PM

Electric guitars have passive pickups, so I guess you can plug straight in.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:10 PM

Given what the Pure Mini is (three elements, right?), you can get away with a direct plug in...a nicely matched preamp is a plus and necessary at times. Depends on the amp and it's input impedance. (Or, the pedal)...plug in and see! You won't hurt a thing.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 07-05-2015, 07:52 AM

I have the K&K pickups in two guitars. When I plug straight into my UltraSound DS-4 it sounds great. However, the pickups really improve with a preamp/DI. I have the K&K preamp made for the pickups and a Baggs Venue DI. I like the K&K preamp best. I found when I go straight into a mixer for my Bose, the preamp is needed also, or I should say sounds better. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:48 AM

I play on a similar band. This is what I am using right now:
TC Helicon Harmony Singer
TC Electronic Polytune
BBE Sonic Stomp- I use this to remove mids and add a little of bass on one of my guitars.
Mooer Yellow Comp- Amazing pedal for acoustic (this is a must have)
Boss CE-5 - I am replacing this one for Corona Chorus mini
TC Electronic Hall of fame Reverb
TC Electronic Ditto Looper
LR Baggs Venue DI

Everything on a new custom made pedalboard made by my brother in law.

Oh. I have a Boss DD3 on the way.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:25 AM

As you can tell, most pedals can be used to add effects to the guitar. And as for me, personally, I use an MXR Dynacomp and a Digitech Digidelay.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification