The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Default One guitar just for teaching?

I first taught guitar in 1981. Back then, I just used the (only) acoustic guitar I owned. After awhile, life led me to other occupations. When I got back into teaching 16 years ago my gigging guitars were all 7 string. I bought an inexpensive 6 string out of necessity. Since then I’ve always had a dedicated, less expensive, less satisfactory, etc, teaching guitar. The advantage has been the absence of worrying about on-site damage. I would rather have a “real” guitar with me, though. Do others face this dilemma? Advice?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHintz View Post
I first taught guitar in 1981. Back then, I just used the (only) acoustic guitar I owned. After awhile, life led me to other occupations. When I got back into teaching 16 years ago my gigging guitars were all 7 string. I bought an inexpensive 6 string out of necessity. Since then I’ve always had a dedicated, less expensive, less satisfactory, etc, teaching guitar. The advantage has been the absence of worrying about on-site damage. I would rather have a “real” guitar with me, though. Do others face this dilemma? Advice?
You're right. Situations arise when people aren't as careful as you are when you're not home.

Start visiting your local Sam Ash, GC and look for CL ads for inexpensive guitars. You never know what you'll stumble upon. I've come across any number or REALLY good used acoustics for under $200. I've played 5 or six in the last few years that would be as good or better than some new instruments tagged at $2000+. You have to be patient and persistent, but they're out there if you look long and hard enough.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. My initial post was not as clear as intended—I have an adequate, inexpensive guitar I use for teaching, the latest in a series of 9 such I’ve owned since 2001. It just isn’t as good as my gigworthy 6 string, and during downtimes at teaching it isn’t as satisfying to play. I know teachers who take their “real” guitar to teach, and others who don’t. I was wondering how other AGFers solve the dilemma.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Yes. I tend not to use my better guitars while teaching. I just picked up a sub-$200 Alvarez that I might consider using as a lender for newbie students.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM

I was quite puzzled by the concern for the well being of the guitars a teacher would use when teaching until I realized these were guitars you provided for the student’s use. Hm, I never provided an instrument for my students. I guess I figured they needed to have their own guitar in order to practice what I was teaching.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:16 PM

I have only let a student use my guitar in a lesson once, in all the years I’ve taught. It’s the hazards of small children running around, a long cold weather commute, and my own clumsiness that mainly concern—said clumsiness often exacerbated by said lively kids, their oblivious parents, etc. I teach in a community center meeting room, not a dedicated music studio. There are drawbacks. Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:31 AM

Take the guitar you're happiest with and just look after it. I don't see the problem here.
Likewise I don't understand why people worry about gigging their best guitar. Concert violinists don't leave their multi-million dollar Cremonas at home in case someone steps on them backstage. Guitars are built to perform, not to be babied, polished and fussed over.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:38 AM

I don’t have students who don’t have a guitar of their own.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHintz View Post
I have only let a student use my guitar in a lesson once, in all the years I’ve taught. It’s the hazards of small children running around, a long cold weather commute, and my own clumsiness that mainly concern—said clumsiness often exacerbated by said lively kids, their oblivious parents, etc. I teach in a community center meeting room, not a dedicated music studio. There are drawbacks. Thanks for the responses.
I teach private lessons, group guitar classes, and pre-K music & movement classes. I also perform for children at libraries, scools, and birthday parties. I’ve gone back and forth on this this issue. I have been using an older Norman B20 Folk and an Eastman AC120 for about the last year. I often let others play my guitar. Even the children.

I just bought a Martin DST from Ted at LA Guitar Sales. It’s going to replace those other two guitars. The DST is new and much nicer to play. It feels and sounds much like a D-18. It’s going to take on some wear - probably some unavoidable bumps and bruises - but I have my teaching guitar in my hands as much or more than any of my other guitars. I want to enjoy playing it. I’ll sell the Eastman and keep the Norman as a spare.

I have other nicer guitars that I generally won’t use in these situations, but I guess I just don’t want to spend my time with guitars I don’t enjoy playing. Life is too short and I am probably spoiled.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Guest 728

I agree that it's nice to have a good guitar to teach with; that's why I keep my Guild D30 in my classroom. It's not my finest guitar, but it's certainly not my beater. I keep it secure, and I generally don't let my students play it -- it's my "teaching" guitar, not their "learning" guitar. For them, I have several cheapies available that I don't care about. My very best guitars remain at the house.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I leave my better guitars at home and teach individuals and groups with an old Ovation Applause, and an inexpensive Cordoba uke. These are both perfect for my teaching situations.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 AM

A conjecture: using a plain sounding beater, one obviously poorer than the average student's guitar, but being made adequate by the teacher's superior skills, bolstering the student's confidence that whenever they play a note it sounds especially good.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 AM

For lessons, I would suggest an OM size guitar set up with light gauge strings and an action that your newer students can play.

Often a student doesn't have a nice guitar that is set up properly.
By letting them play your guitar, the students can feel how a properly set up guitar can play.
The OM size will fit most students better.

Take a good look at a Blueridge BR43. for this purpose.

It sounds great and can by purchased used for under $300.00.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:09 AM

General rule of thumb: One can never have too many guitars

other than that - I got nothing
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion