The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJeff1 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find out about the new models/specs?

JJ1
I asked stageshop in hungary who take custom orders for furch if they did a short scale in the vintage series, they said they didnt but there would be a lot of changes next year with many new specifications being introduced. So if you are planning a furch custom order, might be worth waiting a few months.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 10-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post
I asked stageshop in hungary who take custom orders for furch if they did a short scale in the vintage series, they said they didnt but there would be a lot of changes next year with many new specifications being introduced. So if you are planning a furch custom order, might be worth waiting a few months.
Thanks for sharing this !
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 10-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I have been drooling over the Stonebridge G23CR for a while. I'm just trying to understand why the Stonebridge video demos sound brighter than the Dream Guitars videos of the same model. I'm not sure which is the correct representation of their sound.
My Furch is the only one I've tried but the Dream guitars g23cr video show exactly how It sounds.
Superb guitar!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Furch only made a couple of hundred Avalon's, the "gold" series, during the late 90s IIRC. It's a bit of a tangled web with Avalon building Lowdens, then not, then Furch making a few Avalons (along with some Korean-built, the "silver" series) so perhaps it's not an accident that they have similar sound and build quality.

Perhaps, too, it's not so much that Furch has an "Irish vibe" as that the Irish-built guitars have a "European vibe"? I am on the cusp of ordering a Mats Nordwall (Swedish luthier) cittern and have played one of his 12-string guitars but other than that my experience with European luthiers is sparse. There is, I think, a defined "Swedish" sound though perhaps that has more to do with their use of nylon bass strings on steel-string guitars and citterns. Check out Mats use of a hybrid bridge that includes both pins for ball-end and tied nylon strings.

I'm not averse to TUSQ and the saddle shaping and resultant intonation on the Stonebridge/Furch guitars is the best that I think I've ever seen so I have no plans to swap them out for bone. In my view, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Something, too, that hasn't been mentioned and that most North American guitar players will be impressed with (I know I am!) is that Furch-made guitars come with 1) a strap pin in the heel (where it's supposed to be) as well as 2) a fitted end strap pin that fits the already-drilled-for-a-pickup end block, 3) two spare ebony bridge pins, 4) two pre-made saddle shims, 5) five replacement frets, 6) a truss-rod tool (and the easy accessibility of the truss rod is another Furch feature) AND 7) a Hiscox case.

What's not to like?!?!

Phil
You're certainly right about the European vibe, but for any reason the Irish luthiers are often those who are mentioned when talking European guitars, but it seems that there's a few Swedish and Finnish luthiers who are doing great work too
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion