The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Really strange and interesting Coyote experience

Having had many many encounters with wildlife over the years at our place in Wyoming. But this encounter at our place in NW Colorado (much more populated) this is by far one of the most interesting .

So about a month ago we got another Australian Shepherd puppy a Red female form the same breeder as our year and 1/2 old male.

About a 3 weeks ago my wife started seeing a lone coyote on her daily walks (a mile and 1/2 to 2 mile round trip), with the dogs (on leashes) The coyote started off staying a couple hundred yards off and just sitting and watching them. Which is not unheard of but also not the usual immediately vacate the area behavior, of most coyote's that we encounter.

But she started noticing that as the days went by it seemed to not only follow them but get progressively closer.

As it did not and has not appeared to be hunt stalking or aggressive We speculated it might just curious about the puppy but don't really know the reason.

Then early last week I got a cell phone call from my wife who told me to get the car and come pic her and dogs up (she was about 3/4 of mile up around the hill she goes up on her walks) She said the coyote was either to following her and dogs too close ( about 30 to 40 yards ) and even going around and sitting near the road between her and the house, sort of blocking her from coming home.

I drove up got out and marched toward it shouting but it would only retreat about another 10 to 20 yards and when I turned around and walk back towards the car it would again come towards the road .
In the last 5 days it (we also speculate is is a young mature male perhaps driven out of it's pack) He has gotten bolder and bolder and now appears regularly at walk times and in the early morning potty time and is getting to within 30 to 40 ft. as well as on our back deck when we are not outside. I have now had to go out about 4 times and drive it off by marching directly at it (armed with bear spray) and it has now started going a good distance away again several hundred yards, but keeps reappearing later. We of course are wary and are not willing to let it get too close. But so far I have not been able to get close enough to use the bear spray ( which can be a very effective deterrent to continued approach. ) I may have to resort to lobbing a few high powered rifle rounds it's direction (which will probably shake up the neighbors a bit)

The really interesting thing is there is no aggressive or hunting posturing or behavior whatsoever . It just seems to want to get close and who knows but seems like perhaps wants to join our pack (sounds silly I know), but this behavior is so unusual it defies normal behavioral categorization.
I'll see if we can snap a few pictures and bring some updates on the situation as it unfolds .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Lonely? (The coyote of course). I've had the same family of coyotes traversing my home in the hills for over a decade. They will come through sometimes, lay in the yard sometimes and pass by at others. They are gorgeous creatures and we are in their backyards/territories so it doesn't bother me at all. Perhaps the lone coyote is curious about your animals. Perhaps he's looking for lunch..... Either way I would keep the puppy (at least) away from him and carry a whistle and walking stick with me while walking in his areas. Great photos could be had since he's coming so close.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Trying to join a pack sounds about right but the problem is you don't know where the coyote thinks they should stand within that pack. 50-50 this will end badly for a dog or the coyote.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 AM

You never know what the situation is. Could be people in the neighborhood feeding him. Could be a yote raised by people and turned loose...

Question... Does he act more like a stray dog or more like a wild animal?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Be on the lookout for boxes with Acme written on them, giant slingshots and anvils. Oh yeah and he might get some rocket propelled roller skates so be careful.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Lonely? (The coyote of course). I've had the same family of coyotes traversing my home in the hills for over a decade. They will come through sometimes, lay in the yard sometimes and pass by at others. They are gorgeous creatures and we are in their backyards/territories so it doesn't bother me at all. Perhaps the lone coyote is curious about your animals. Perhaps he's looking for lunch..... Either way I would keep the puppy (at least) away from him and carry a whistle and walking stick with me while walking in his areas. Great photos could be had since he's coming so close.
Oh ya the puppy is the concern and I could not agree more, we are indeed ones encroaching on their territory. I love when wild animals come into my yard , it is very life affirming.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Trying to join a pack sounds about right but the problem is you don't know where the coyote thinks they should stand within that pack. 50-50 this will end badly for a dog or the coyote.
Yes we would not want to see the dogs or the yotee injured . As cool as it might be, we have not intention of trying to make any kind of pet out of him

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
Be on the lookout for boxes with Acme written on them, giant slingshots and anvils. Oh yeah and he might get some rocket propelled roller skates so be careful.

LOL
Old 10-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

It’s common to see a single [urban] coyote hunting or traveling on its own, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is alone. Coyotes are highly social animals and this didn’t change when they entered the urban ecosystem. Coyotes may live as part of a pack, which usually consists of an alpha male and female, perhaps one or two of their offspring from previous seasons (known as a “helper”) and their current litter of pups. The pack may also welcome in a solitary traveler if their territory can support another member. Packs living in sizable protected areas can have as many as five or six adults in addition to that season’s pups.

However, a coyote may also spend part of its life on its own, known as a solitary coyote. This is common when young coyotes disperse from their pack and go in search of their own territory, a new pack to join, or a mate with whom to start their own pack. A coyote may also spend a stretch of time as a loner if it was an alpha in a pack but lost its mate. According to Urban Coyote Research Program, between a third and half of coyotes under study are solitary coyotes, and they are usually youngsters between six months and two years old.

Don't know how the behavior of urban and coyotes in the wild differs, but my guess would also be that it's curious about and may look to join your "pack"....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
You never know what the situation is. Could be people in the neighborhood feeding him. Could be a yote raised by people and turned loose...

Question... Does he act more like a stray dog or more like a wild animal?
It's a small neighborhood only 8 residents we know everybody and nobody is feeding him. And this area has abundant wild cottontail rabbits we have a family that lives under our side deck which could be an attraction but there are plenty available beyond those

A feral coyote is a possibility
He acts like both at different times, he does not have the normal wild fear of humans but he also spends the majority of time out in the wild or out of sight

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
This is a very astute thought, we will keep an eye out

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Have you tried dancing with it?

YouTube
Old 10-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

A feral coyote is a possibility
He acts like both at different times, he does not have the normal wild fear of humans but he also spends the majority of time out in the wild or out of sight
Possibly a rabid coyote since they are generally nocturnal????

Foaming at the mouth
Foaming at the mouth is the symptom most associated with rabies. The foaming occurs because the coyote is having trouble swallowing his saliva due to the virus. Any coyote seen foaming at the mouth should be avoided, and 911 should be called immediately if the coyote is near a residential area.

Extreme Aggression
Coyotes are typically curious animals, but do not often display aggressive behavior towards humans. Therefore, if you encounter a coyote that is acting aggressive (stalking, growling, biting, etc) there is a good chance it has rabies. Once again, authorities should be alerted immediately.

Erratic or Lethargic Behavior
If you observe a coyote that is stumbling or displaying other erratic behavior, such as colliding with objects or eating atypical things, it should be avoided and reported. At the other extreme, lethargic or paralyzed behavior also can be a sign of rabies.
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-15-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:20 PM

Contact the local animal control. Or consider a live trap baited with a can of cat food.

Unfortunately - a yote close to people often means a dead one... Better to relocate him someplace wild... Corn/wheat field country is often a much better choice than "The forest". Mice and bugs to eat aplenty....
Old 10-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Given the canine reliance on smell, maybe pull a "Cool Hand Luke" and leave some pepper and ground chili in your tracks when walking the dogs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic