The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Default Hurricane Ophelia heading for...Ireland?!

That's a first for me. Hope it misses the Emerald Isle.
On a side note, visiting Ireland has been at the top of my bucket list for 25 years now. I hope I make it over there someday.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's hard to believe a hurricane is that far north...wow!

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 10-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Easter weekend 2015 I was visiting London with the Bar Assn., supposed to depart for Geneva at 0-dark-30 on Monday. Had set a 5 am alarm in order to catch the flight from London City Airport (smaller than pre-expansion Midway). Was awakened at 3 am by the sound of howling wind and hail pelting my hotel room windows. IIRC, the TV weather reporters named it "Hurricane Kate." We called Swissair and were assured the flight would depart as scheduled. We piled into taxis (6 to a cab) and the drivers battled brutal gusts to get us there. It was still blowing so hard that many of us had trouble holding on to our rolling suitcases. We checked in, were still reassured by Swissair but not given a departure gate...and two hours later, the flight was canceled. Those of us who'd booked first class (short flight, not much of an upcharge) were herded back down to Customer Assistance and into a short line...which did not move for over an hour. So we began to pull out our phones and re-book for flights out of Heathrow. Swissair did pay for taxis to Heathrow--clear over the other side of town (past our hotel) and then some. By then, the winds had died down. Nobody in Lausanne (our destination after landing) could believe that a hurricane could hit the UK, much less in springtime.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
That's a first for me. Hope it misses the Emerald Isle.
On a side note, visiting Ireland has been at the top of my bucket list for 25 years now. I hope I make it over there someday.
Until recently, I'd never heard of "Hurricanes" in the North Atlantic? They were just terrible storms, with lots of rain, high tides, and 100+ mph winds... In fact, it was one of those terrible storms that sunk the Spanish Armada; but I it wasn't called a "Hurricane"....

Has there been a change in how those nasty, but almost yearly storms are referred to, and reported by the news media?

Don
Old 10-16-2017, 01:45 PM

It won't be a hurricane when it hits which is, I believe, today. It'll be post-tropical. Ireland and the UK get hit with these things once or twice a decade. It's not really that rare... a little unusual that it might be stronger than what is typical though.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 PM

Ophelia has already wrought havoc in Ireland (although nothing like Puerto Rico) but roofs have been ripped off buildings and there have been three associated fatalities so far.

The storm is now affecting Scotland ... here on the east, it will probably not be as much of a problem as on the west coast, but even here, as I write , winds are gaining in strength, and will probably continue to do so throughout the night (it is 1.23 am here ).
Old 10-18-2017, 02:39 PM

Here's some typically Irish preparations and stories of the hurricane:

https://www.boredpanda.com/hurricane...and-reactions/

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic