The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Default Pederson Custom Guitars Modified SJ#3

Pederson Modified SJ#3
- Cedar top
- Figured Cedar back and sides
- ‘Signature Neck Laminations’ Mahogany with center maple strip and accents
- Multi-scale 25.7 bass side 25.5" treble side
- Ebony fingerboard
- My Patented Adjustable Bone Bridge Saddles
- Smooth “Braceless” interior
- Laminated headblock
- Pomelle Rosewood binding/wood purflings
- Open ended multidimensional Custom rosette design
- Laminated sides
- Awesome neck detail
- Inlay on headstock (decorative)

I'm putting this build thread up because I think I can get this one done for the Woodstock show coming up. If anyone gets interested let me know.

This model requires me to do a little extra work to get the outcome I'm looking for. Its the dual inner walls, the laminated headblock, the "braceless back" and the top bracing that take me extra time on inside of this model. And its the rosette, any inlay or bindings I want to do that keep me busy on the "outside" of this guitar. But its worth it, I feel.

I especially work a lot on the bracing of this guitar. I know a guy can read blog after blog about bracing and sound, and there are many books on the subject so I won't try to dazzle anyone with the lingo, nor am I trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm just trying to do a couple basic things that we all are trying to do. 1. reduce the mass in the top for responsiveness. 2. maintain its stiffness to respond to the treble notes, 3. loosen the top (in the right areas) to get the lush tone from the guitar.

I really like this guitar, its a fun guitar to make. I'll elaborate on the scale in another post.

I feel like the first one was very successful and it can be heard here by Al Petteway doing the demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8Unez2wno

I've also talked about a website update - I'm working on that now with my web person. Hopefully the update will be soon and I'll post when done.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Here is the ebony fingerboard. This is 25.7" on the bass side and 25.5" on the treble side. I will elaborate on this a little more. Its very minimal and that is purposeful. I want little to no player adjustment, yet attain the benefits of having the extended scale on the bass side. It will put the bridge, tilted back, right into the sweet spot on the guitar top. It extends the bass side slightly to get a little extra tension on the bass strings when in DADGAD tunings. But its not too much that it will put extra tension on standard tunings. I also wanted to leave the treble side at 25.5" for that extra tension in DADGAD/alternate tunings.

Now this shape has really grown on me. I really love it now.

Here is the open ended multidimensional rosette. This is cool and I think I might be breaking some ground with this one (if not, I haven't seen something like this previous).

There is a slight possibility that I might not have it done in time to make the woodstock show...but I'm sure going to give it a shot.

Thanks.

Kevin.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Like before, I'll be watching this one with great curiosity.

Figured cedar back and sides?? Not sure i've seen such a thing...
Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post

Ditto, interested to follow along. Someone in B&S has an all spruce guitar he's selling, so that's different. Looking forward to this one.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 PM

I have some cedar set aside for an all cedar guitar, I am sure to learn something from this one.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Ditto, interested to follow along. Someone in B&S has an all spruce guitar he's selling, so that's different. Looking forward to this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I have some cedar set aside for an all cedar guitar, I am sure to learn something from this one.
Thanks for your comments. Its some nice looking stuff. Should have something to show in a week or so.

Kevin.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 PM

I hope you guys don't mind me showing these pics.

In this first pic, I'm sanding the top down and the wood dust is filling up the lower portions of the inlay rosette. Whats interesting about this picture, is that it kind of highlights the "white" in the "rails and stiles", and this reveals the interlocking "tightness". I took my time on this one. I have many more ideas like this and will be expanding on this on future guitars.

I got the top cleaned up and I'm getting a really nice look at the cedar top, and good angles of the rosette. I'm happy with it so far.

Got the sound hole cut out and I'll be putting my inner black strip on to trim out the sound hole. Love how this guitar is coming along so far. I might just keep this one a non-cut away...haven't decided yet.

And in this pic I laid the fretboard on it just to get a look at it, but I should have moved the board up one fret for proper proportion. This is a mulitscale guitar. 25.7 on the bass side and 25.5 on the treble - and you can just see that slightly in the fret slots. Can't wait to get this strung up too :-).

Thanks for looking.

Kevin.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 PM

I have some of this really awesome pommele Rosewood binding that I've been holding on to for something special. Still not sure, but I think I might use it on this guitar.

Have a great evening.

Kevin.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Kevin, very interesting rosette. What is the material in those "windows"?
Those few little blue specks in there really do it for me. Nice!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-05-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Is it Spanish Cedar for the back and sides?

I've seen a few guitars with Spanish Cedar b/s, which is like a lighter Honduran Mahogany. The few ones I've seen have been excellent instruments.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hey Kevin, very interesting rosette. What is the material in those "windows"?
Those few little blue specks in there really do it for me. Nice!

Steve
Hey Steve - thanks! Its buckeye burl. The blue specs are very cool and I'm building the "decoration" concept around them.

Kevin.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Is it Spanish Cedar for the back and sides?

I've seen a few guitars with Spanish Cedar b/s, which is like a lighter Honduran Mahogany. The few ones I've seen have been excellent instruments.
ewh2 - I'm not totally sure I'm going with this cedar b/s set choice yet. Likewise, overnight, I've decided not use the pommele rosewood for the binding - its so rare that I want to use it on my absolute best pieces of high end nature - the Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, abalone bindings guitars etc.

The botanical name for this cedar is is Guarea cedrata. Its in the Meliaceae, or the Mahogany family;related to Sapele. Its some beautiful stuff.

Kevin.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
ewh2 - I'm not totally sure I'm going with this cedar b/s set choice yet. Likewise, overnight, I've decided not use the pommele rosewood for the binding - its so rare that I want to use it on my absolute best pieces of high end nature - the Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, abalone bindings guitars etc.

The botanical name for this cedar is is Guarea cedrata. Its in the Meliaceae, or the Mahogany family;related to Sapele. Its some beautiful stuff.

Kevin.
Thanks for the reply.

I saw MadInter sell some sets of the 'cedar' you have and they called 'Bosse Cedar' I think, and the sets were pretty expensive I think some were 400 odd euros. I remember posting it up in the Log Cabin of the UMGF and no one had heard of it! I remember looking at it's density/etc and it seemed closer to Honduran Mahogany in terms of weight and density than to Sapele.

I've not tried a guitar made from it but it's like the Quilted Sapele guitars it'll be very special; QS is my favourite tonewood.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I saw MadInter sell some sets of the 'cedar' you have and they called 'Bosse Cedar' I think, and the sets were pretty expensive I think some were 400 odd euros. I remember posting it up in the Log Cabin of the UMGF and no one had heard of it! I remember looking at it's density/etc and it seemed closer to Honduran Mahogany in terms of weight and density than to Sapele.

I've not tried a guitar made from it but it's like the Quilted Sapele guitars it'll be very special; QS is my favourite tonewood.
ewh2 - quilted sapele is really beautiful stuff. I bought a 12' board from a supplier in the states a few years ago. I made quite a few sets out of it. Its really cool stuff.

You can actually see the relationship in the quilting of these cedar pieces to that of the sapele. Similar "quilting look". But this cedar is lighter in color - almost cream/white. Looks like quilted maple (I think).

Have a great evening.

Kevin.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Been working hard to get this guitar ready for Woodstock. I think this guitar is going to really awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing it in the next couple days.

Here is what I decided to put on the headstock. Put a little "3-D" on there...

Hope some here will come see it and play it. It will be available for purchase. Micro-Multiscale 25.5" on the treble side and 25.75" on the bass side. Its a very nice guitar. I will know more on its sound on Sunday.

Kevin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop