The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Update continued!

Marking the side of the fretboard for the dot indicators. I'm in for a special treat here! Did someone say glow-in-the-dark?????

btw... Tim's precision amazes me... so much skill. perfection.

He's filling my dot indicators with Italian Cappuccino!!! just kidding.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 PM

Update continued!

I am hundred of miles away, but Tim and Mary still know how to make me feel a part of this build. They want to make sure that everything that goes into the guitar is exactly the way I want it. And they will stop everything and call me to make sure everything is correct. Amazing.

Time to check out the fretboard inlay. 12th fret bar. 9th fret "k". Simple. subtle. unusual. but exactly what I wanted

I wonder what it looks like through the headgear!!!!

First part in... now onto the "k"

Time to level off the side markers... can't wait to see the glow!

And now for to stain the neck.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 PM

Update Continued!

This is the part I've been waiting for... time for the first coat. lets see that wood pop! And as Mary said. "This wood screams beauty!"

The Adirondack top is looking great. I can not wait to hear the beautiful sounds that come from this guitar.

Ziricote is a beautiful wood. I'm so glad I was able to pick this specific piece for the build. It caught my eye as soon as I saw it - could not forget it. Even though it won't have too much impact on the tone given the double back and the brown wood of unknown origin... this one had a great tap tone as well.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 PM

It's looking very nice! The one being worked on in the background by Adrianne is a thing of beauty as well.

Seriously, though: what exactly IS the "brown wood of unknown origin?" Walnut? Monkey pod? I gotta know!

Regardless, that ziricote is stunning! I hope it sounds and feels as good for you as it looks to all of us. I have a feeling that it will.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post

Seriously, though: what exactly IS the "brown wood of unknown origin?" Walnut? Monkey pod? I gotta know!

I'm guessing Tim "can neither confirm nor deny" the mystery wood is Brazilian Rosewood!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

The "brown wood of unknown origin" rings like a gong on steroids and should be the standard to what all other woods are compared to. However, I can't be 100% certain what EXACT species it is or what country or even what specific forest it originated from but I have my hunches
Old 10-22-2014, 09:58 AM

So don't you think that laminating it with another wood will limit its sound qualities? Or, vice versa, will it enhance the tone of the ziricote?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Destined to be a very, very, very good one!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
So don't you think that laminating it with another wood will limit its sound qualities? Or, vice versa, will it enhance the tone of the ziricote?
Laminating the "brown wood of unknown origin" to the sides has no tonal effect but its a substantial structural improvement which greatly minimizes the risk of the side ever splitting or cracking. We have tested the strength of double sides by hitting them as hard as we can on a sharp corner of a wooden table and have never been able to crack or even dent the sides. Its a pretty amazing improvement. We even demonstrated it to Kang when he visited our shop.

The back is another story. The unique design of our "Hollow back" is quite unique in that the inner back is separated and independent from the outer back. When you play our guitar with a "Hollow Back" you will only hear the sound coupled with the inner back. The outer back is purely cosmetic and has no influence with the sound of the guitar.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Laminating the "brown wood of unknown origin" to the sides has no tonal effect but its a substantial structural improvement which greatly minimizes the risk of the side ever splitting or cracking. We have tested the strength of double sides by hitting them as hard as we can on a sharp corner of a wooden table and have never been able to crack or even dent the sides. Its a pretty amazing improvement. We even demonstrated it to Kang when he visited.
I'd love to see that demonstrated at the next McJam. I'd offer to do a field test here in my home with my sons "Chuck" and "Curly" but my heart couldn't take hearing another kBong!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'd love to see that demonstrated at the next McJam. I'd offer to do a field test here in my home with my sons "Chuck" and "Curly" but my heart couldn't take hearing another kBong!
You have to bring Chuck and Curly with you IF you can handle them for the drive over???
Old 10-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
It's looking very nice! The one being worked on in the background by Adrianne is a thing of beauty as well.
Not to hijack this thread, but I second Neil's motion: What's Ms. Adrianne working on in the background?

I have to confess that I'm really a bit disappointed in you, Tim; I've always thought you a fine connoisseur of tonewoods. To not know the origin of that strange brownish-hued wood is...startling, but I suppose understandable, given the circumstances. Yet if it's anything like the strange, brownish-hued wood that's in one of my hollow backs, then my hunch is that this likewise will be a marvelous-sounding guitar with which our dear Kang will be most pleased.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Eire,
You see Adrianne's 3rd guitar, in the background, which she JUST finished the night before we left for Woodstock. She is exhibiting that guitar at the show so now she understands how burning the midnight oil at the last minutes before a show stresses a luthier out ;( I was hoping to take some high resolution pictures before we left but we just did not have the time.

BTW, Its a SDG body with a unique Indonesian RW back and side set with a Cedar top.

[QUOTE=kang;4186653]
/QUOTE]
Old 10-24-2014, 04:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Neil, Adrianne's guitar is already sold sight unseen. This one won't be at the McJam, but she might likely have another by then.
We are looking forward to learning how Adrianne's guitar comes out. Craig D'Andrea is scheduled to play it at Woodstock.

Had Tim been able to complete Kang's guitar it also a would be displayed on stage. We are looking forward to a visit with Kang on Sunday. Sure looking forward to seeing gregc, too!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Neil, Adrianne's guitar is already sold sight unseen. This one won't be at the McJam, but she might likely have another by then.
We are looking forward to learning how Adrianne's guitar comes out. Craig D'Andrea is scheduled to play it at Woodstock.

Had Tim been able to complete Kang's guitar it also a would be displayed on stage. We are looking forward to a visit with Kang on Sunday. Sure looking forward to seeing gregc, too!
Now I'm intrigued. I would have loved to have seen pictures of that combination as well as the bindings, rosette, etc. That sapwood is a real eye catcher.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming; sorry for the hijack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
highlander om-d, mary mcknight, mcknight, tim mcknight