The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Regarding Bois de Rose, be aware that its color will turn to black fairly rapidly over time.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-exotic-woods/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaultierRedon14 View Post
Thanks. I will definitely post pictures as Tom gets them to me, sometime in December. As I mentioned, it'll be his smaller "Trinity" model, which is his take on a 12-fret 000 style. BRW/Lutz Spruce with some interesting touches--Bois de Rose for the fretboard, bridge, and headstock front/back veneers, Indian Rosewood neck, and Blue Paua Abalone everywhere! I'm hoping it will be a very charming and elegant little guitar. My idea is to have a very modern take on the 19th century parlor guitar, many of which were very ornate. The woods are all just gorgeous--the BRW is highly figured and colorful, perfectly quarter-sawn (and has CITES papers!!), and the Lutz is a "Master grade" set from the personal stash of the guy who cut the tree (Mario from Sprucetonewoods.com). Once Tom works his magical wood alchemy, I'm sure he'll create another masterpiece!
Sorry if this is a little "off the topic" of the original post.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:37 AM

Smile

Gaultier, congratulations on starting a build and choosing Tom for it. I wish I were in your shoes. I'm hoping to join the Doerr owners group one day. Look forward to seeing the progress of the build.

Paul
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Paul,
Thanks. I hope watching my build will help you in your decision. Regarding the other poster who commented about the Bois de Rose turning black, I am aware of that, and I'm not worried about it for the bridge or fretboard, but I may end up doing BRW for the headplate, just to be safe. Does anyone know just how quickly this wood turns really dark? A few months, or a few years? The pieces I have are pretty light in color, with little dark grain streaking. Based on pictures I've seen of "darkened" Bois de Rose, it seems like it my pieces will still retain some burgundy/purplish color even after darkening. Anyone with some insight on this would be appreciated!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

I will let luthiers experienced in working with it comment to rate. I would actually ask Tom yourself who proposed it. Take a look at the following links. It is considered one of the most fugitive of woods. On a 1-5 scale (fugitive to stable) it gets a 1. I suspect the transformation is fairly rapid.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-exotic-woods/

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...errated-woods/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaultierRedon14 View Post
Paul,
Thanks. I hope watching my build will help you in your decision. Regarding the other poster who commented about the Bois de Rose turning black, I am aware of that, and I'm not worried about it for the bridge or fretboard, but I may end up doing BRW for the headplate, just to be safe. Does anyone know just how quickly this wood turns really dark? A few months, or a few years? The pieces I have are pretty light in color, with little dark grain streaking. Based on pictures I've seen of "darkened" Bois de Rose, it seems like it my pieces will still retain some burgundy/purplish color even after darkening. Anyone with some insight on this would be appreciated!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

To be clear, using Bois de Rose was strictly my idea, not Tom's. I bought it myself from Gilmer Woods. He is simply being gracious and trying to accommodate my whims and fancies. I don't believe Tom's built with it before, probably like most luthiers. In fact, the only guitars I've seen with it are from Gerald Sheppard. He has several pictures of instruments with Bois de Rose binding and bevels. Maybe I should contact him for advice.

I'm prepared to accept that the fretboard and bridge will go pretty dark, pretty quickly. I'm just on the fence about the headstock veneer, and may just use BRW from the tonewood set instead. I've read those two articles, thank you!

Further, I decided to go ahead and start a thread on this build. I have a couple pictures of the woods that I took at Tom's shop. I'll try to get it started in the next day or so. I don't want to continue this discussion in this thread since it is way off topic!

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 10-20-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: misspoke
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Looking forward to your build thread Gaultier! I'll start a thread as well when mine is underway. I envy you being able to visit Tom's shop in person!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default 2015 Doerr Trinity Brazilian/Lutz build

I have started a new thread on my upcoming build by Tom Doerr.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...26#post4191826

I posted a few pics of the woods being used, and a spec list of details.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop