The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM

Default Taylor 210CE vs Martin DCX1RE?

Which do you think, the 210CE or DCX1RE would be the most bang for the buck used?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:28 AM

It's a matter of prefence I think. I would prefer the laminate RW B&S of the 210CE over the formica (HPL) used in the Martin but you have to decide what you like best. Some would probably prefer the Fishman in the Martin to the ES-T in the Taylor. The Martin is cheaper too so not sure how fair of a comparison this is. The Martin looks like Rosewood whereas the Taylor is RW (Laminate).

Play both and decide what you like the best is all I can say.

One last thought, for the price of a new 214CE you might score a used 314CE or 414CE. Used is a great way to get a better instrument for the same money.

Good luck

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the response, Phil. I currently own both a Taylor 414CE and a Martin HD-7, so I like both brands. I haven't had a chance to try either the 210/214CE or the DCX1RE. I am just curious about the feedback from those knowledgeable, like yourself, who has given them a "test drive."
Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 PM

I currently own a 210ce....our 1 year has to be coming up within a several weeks now and have no regrets. Before that I traded in my Martin DCX-1E for a Gibson DLM-C which sounded like garbage because they just acquired Garrison which has their plant in Canada so it was just a different sound than what I was hoping from a Gibson so I looked into the 210ce....it's my baby and would really have to think hard before gettin rid of it.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Much as I like Martin, The 210 would be a better choice I think.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM

I'll take the ES-T anyday over the Fishman. I have a 214CE and chose that over a Martin DCX1RE. I much prefer the laminate over the HPL. That Martin looked very plastic. You can't go wrong with a Taylor.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM

also IF either guitar needs a neck reset in the future the Taylor will still be worth doing as it will be fast and CHEAP.
on the Martin you may just want to buy another guitar unless it really speaks to ya tone wise.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM

Default 210ce versux x series

Gotta know what you're buying. The back and sides on the Martin x series is made of kitchen countertop material (basically) which serves its purpose... if you wanna be rough with your guitar it can handle it. The Taylor is made of laminated wood. You'd be better to compare the Taylor 210 with the Martin DM (laminated back and sides). The neck reset thing is not worth the mention as you'd shouldn't need to worry about a reset for a few decades...if you take care of your guitar. If you don't take care of your guitar a neck reset is not going help any guitar.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzelectro View Post
Gotta know what you're buying. The back and sides on the Martin x series is made of kitchen countertop material (basically) which serves its purpose... if you wanna be rough with your guitar it can handle it. The Taylor is made of laminated wood. You'd be better to compare the Taylor 210 with the Martin DM (laminated back and sides). The neck reset thing is not worth the mention as you'd shouldn't need to worry about a reset for a few decades...if you take care of your guitar. If you don't take care of your guitar a neck reset is not going help any guitar.

I have seen planty of Guitars in repair shops that were taken care of needing a reset. Tops on any wood guitar will pullin in on iitself from tesion over the years unless it is overbraced like crazy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion