The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Here's something nobody has covered so far: when bending any string use more than one finger push it up. This is something I've told my students which always was a revelation to them. It's easier to control the bend when more than one finger is applying the pressure.

From what you've written your teacher clearly was not prepared by bringing a guitar that was not suitable (for them) for demonstrating this technique.

That being said, I agree that in order to check the correctness of your bends you should at first fret the note at the desired pitch and play that before you bend up to it. If you're attempting to bend a G note on the second string at the 8th fret up to an A note (10th fret) then play the A note at the 10th fret first in order to get the tone in your head. Then bend that G note up with more than one finger and hold it there, making sure you hit the correct pitch.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Sounds like a poor instructor and if I were you I wouldn't go back. But "scum"?
Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default This Scum !

I'm still waiting for the fart vs amp volume at 1 shootout results.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:02 AM

Well, I can top the OP's post. Oklahoma City, OK. I went in to a well established
acoustic guitar store and inquired about taking guitar lessons and was given a date and time to start. I tried very hard to let the instructor know what my level of playing was and what I was hoping to get out of the lessons. When the day for my 1st lesson came, I showed up and was told to go back to a small room, get my guitar out and tuned and the instructor would be with me directly. After about 30 minutes here comes my instructor with a 6 string banjo. I jokingly said I was here for guitar lessons and not a banjo lesson an was told "it doesn't make any difference, it's a 6 string instruments and the chords / notes are the same". I said this is not what i signed up for and was told that this was her teaching style. So I politely began putting my guitar back in the case while again stating this was not what I signed up for. She went on a rant about me wasting her time and the louder she got the louder I got - long story short, it cost me $25.00 for 30 minutes of wait time plus 10 minutes of arguing.

nela
Old 11-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nela View Post
Well, I can top the OP's post. Oklahoma City, OK. I went in to a well established
acoustic guitar store and inquired about taking guitar lessons and was given a date and time to start. I tried very hard to let the instructor know what my level of playing was and what I was hoping to get out of the lessons. When the day for my 1st lesson came, I showed up and was told to go back to a small room, get my guitar out and tuned and the instructor would be with me directly. After about 30 minutes here comes my instructor with a 6 string banjo. I jokingly said I was here for guitar lessons and not a banjo lesson an was told "it doesn't make any difference, it's a 6 string instruments and the chords / notes are the same". I said this is not what i signed up for and was told that this was her teaching style. So I politely began putting my guitar back in the case while again stating this was not what I signed up for. She went on a rant about me wasting her time and the louder she got the louder I got - long story short, it cost me $25.00 for 30 minutes of wait time plus 10 minutes of arguing.

nela
Sure hope you complained to management!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write