The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Well I've been working on this piece for over a month and I am having trouble with the "trills" - those fast notes (64th notes?) and the end of the 2nd, 3rd, and forth measures (and elsewhere).

My usual method is to practice the extremely slowly and then speed up. But when I speed up I lose it. Mostly my middle finger misses and plays the high E string instead of the 5th string. Very frustrating!

I also tried planting my ring finger on the high E string when my thumb plays the first note in the sequence, and then play the rest (ring, middle, index). While this is far more accurate I haven't been able to get this method up to speed. My ring and following fingers need to be moving (a running start if you will) prior to hitting the string in order to play the notes fast enough.

Any tips or thoughts on this? Chris how did you master it?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

TK
Old 09-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Hi TK,

Most classical guitarists play trills aimp to avoid m and i being "upside down". I have never had a problem with that but one thought might be to try aimp instead of my amip.
What I did to learn (hardwire) my trills was to put all four digits on the strings at once so, a on E, m on B, i on E, p on b...then block the strings with your left hand so as to not make a racket. Then with all four fingers firmly planted, strike a and put it back on high E as fast as you can. Then do the same with m, then i and finally p. Whichever finger is striking the others must stay down to train independence.
They should sound very staccato. You mustn't let any other finger move but the one that is striking. You don't have to play them at a fast tempo, you just need to get the finger back to its string as quickly as possible.

I'll send you a video of what I mean...

The trills in K1 are pretty hard because of p being further away from your fingers, the other trills I play are usually not hard once you get the technique down.
Hope that helps,

Chris
Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Chris, good gouge.

Here is a link to David Russell's tips, where he talks about something similar:

http://www.davidrussellguitar.com/in...for-guitarists
Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

This is wonderful. Sitting at my iPad I can just put a bunch of your videos into a playlist and enjoy the music while I work on other stuff. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Extraordinary
Fantastic playing
Wow

Dan
Old 10-13-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
This is wonderful. Sitting at my iPad I can just put a bunch of your videos into a playlist and enjoy the music while I work on other stuff. Thanks!
Thanks Chuck. It's great to hear you are enjoying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by londan111 View Post
Extraordinary
Fantastic playing
Wow

Dan
Thanks Dan, Glad you liked it.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 PM

Fantastic! I love Scarlatti, I've played some on the piano but it looks pretty scary on the guitar.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Fantastic! I love Scarlatti, I've played some on the piano but it looks pretty scary on the guitar.
Thanks Trillian. Glad you liked it.

Chris
Old 10-25-2015, 09:32 AM

Thanks Ceciltguitar for the link and especially thanks to Chris who sent me a video on how he does those trills.

I am still working on perfecting this piece. I was wondering if anyone knew of any software that would slow down the video but keep the pitch up.

I found software that will do this for sound files but have not found anything for video files.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

TK
Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Hi TK,

VLC player works. Use the Playback tab or command - (minus).

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical