The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2010, 04:28 PM

At least tell us the company name so we can avoid their products.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -12- View Post
At least tell us the company name so we can avoid their products.

I'd really rather not, since I think he's an excellent luthier. I love the sound of this guitar, I think the craftsmanship is top-notch, and I just want to avoid any "negative press" for the guy. I think he will make good on his instrument and set things right. Stay tuned and I will let you know how it all turns out. I'm hoping I will still have a positive opinion on his work after all is said and done!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

One thing I've heard from reliable sources is that humidity in a case tends to be very localized. A humidifier up by the head will humidify that immediate area but the rest of the guitar will not get the benefit. A humidifier placed in the sound hole will humidify the whole body cavity, of course, but not necessarily the fingerboard. Assuming that this is correct (and it makes sense to me), that might have been part of the problem. While the headstock had sufficient moisture, the neck and body may not have. But if the baseline humidity was 35%, that shouldn't have been dry enough to split a top. It's not optimal, as someone else said, but not disasterous either.

I wouldn't mention the builder at this stage. He or she may be inclined to be helpful (hopefully) and dissing them isn't likely to strengthen any impulse of that sort. Plus, it seems premature to assume unequivocally that this is the result of a structural or materials problem (although that may be the case).
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM

So, don't tell us the maker, but how about the climate in in which the guitar was made? Was it made in an extremely humid area? It does sound like a drying out problem.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM

I humidify both room and guitar case. While I like the Oasis humdifiers, I now use a sponge in a ziplock bag as they seem to stay wet longer than any other device I've tried. I have a humidity gauge in 3 of my cases and the in-case sponge keeps my guitars at 2 or 3 percent higher humidity than my room. I try to keep my room between 40% to 45%. Knock on wood, I have not had a problem with cracks, finish checking or raised fret ends.

In the late spring and summer, I usually have to dehumidify my room.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Pete - Nothing better than getting a new guitar, nothing worse than finding a problem with it. Good luck with this. Hope you're not as obsessive as me. As a fellow NJer I can recommend an excellent repairer if you decide not to go with the builder.

Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

i find myself wondering how accurate your hygrometer is. some are way off - have you made sure it's close?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
i find myself wondering how accurate your hygrometer is. some are way off - have you made sure it's close?
I'm ordering another hygrometer today. My home (in New Jersey) also has an AprilAire humidifier built into the heating system which helps with the dry air during the heating season. I tend to believe the 35% RH reading, but good point, and worth double checking. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
One thing I've heard from reliable sources is that humidity in a case tends to be very localized. A humidifier up by the head will humidify that immediate area but the rest of the guitar will not get the benefit. A humidifier placed in the sound hole will humidify the whole body cavity, of course, but not necessarily the fingerboard. Assuming that this is correct (and it makes sense to me), that might have been part of the problem. While the headstock had sufficient moisture, the neck and body may not have. But if the baseline humidity was 35%, that shouldn't have been dry enough to split a top. It's not optimal, as someone else said, but not disasterous either.

I wouldn't mention the builder at this stage. He or she may be inclined to be helpful (hopefully) and dissing them isn't likely to strengthen any impulse of that sort. Plus, it seems premature to assume unequivocally that this is the result of a structural or materials problem (although that may be the case).
Hmm, makes sense about the localized humidity in the case. That's something that I'll change.

I have complete faith in the luthier - does fine work - I've contacted them and I'm sure the problems will be taken care of. I was just canvassing for opinions on what could cause something like this to happen. I'm at a loss since my other guitars seem fine. Is this guitar just extra sensitive? Is it something to do with the wood used? It does seem like a dry guitar problem, but I just don't understand why. A lot of great information here from all the AGFers! Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM

To me it sounds like a classic case of a guitar built without humidity control. Where was it built and in what season?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

My respect for your call to not disclose the builder....Rob
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 02-13-2010, 03:11 PM

That's too bad. The builder in question is known for excellent work. Not too hard to figure out, and even a disclosure would be no reason to avoid this builder's work.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
That's too bad. The builder in question is known for excellent work. Not too hard to figure out, and even a disclosure would be no reason to avoid this builder's work.
I agree - this builder is excellent, however, I'm not sure what your point is. I actually own a number of custom built guitars. All of them built by fine craftsmen. I am looking for opinions as to what may have caused this problem and am in no way intimating that it is the builder's fault. I'm not sure what you mean by "Not too hard to figure out".
Old 02-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
One thing I've heard from reliable sources is that humidity in a case tends to be very localized. A humidifier up by the head will humidify that immediate area but the rest of the guitar will not get the benefit. A humidifier placed in the sound hole will humidify the whole body cavity, of course, but not necessarily the fingerboard. Assuming that this is correct (and it makes sense to me), that might have been part of the problem. While the headstock had sufficient moisture, the neck and body may not have.
That sounds like the ad copy for a sound hole humidifier. Nonsense.

Who are your "reliable sources" ?

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 02-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
I agree - this builder is excellent, however, I'm not sure what your point is. I actually own a number of custom built guitars. All of them built by fine craftsmen. I am looking for opinions as to what may have caused this problem and am in no way intimating that it is the builder's fault. I'm not sure what you mean by "Not too hard to figure out".
My point is that there are savvy users that have looked at your past posts and know what guitars you have, you stated this is a ladder braced 12 string. Duh. The fact that there was at least one post asking so as to avoid the builder, causes concern that this could be a serious negative for said builder.

He's a great builder that I'm looking at hiring for a build in the future, and your tale doesn't put me off in the least.

I have nothing to add as to your problem, except what you have already done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion