The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default J.R.'s Two Cents - A copper-top acoustic by Aaron Andrews

This build is designed to be a bit of a show piece. The idea for a copper-top acoustic came while I was looking at this gorgeous electric guitar from Austin Texas builder Isaac Berumen. (Thanks to Rebel Guitars for the use of their photo). This is his Copper Top #1 guitar. The finish was achieved using 80-grit sandpaper to give the copper a brushed look and then clear-coated.

My design for this acoustic guitar starts with an L-00 body shape as a base.
  • 14 frets clear of the body.
  • Dark stained Indian Rosewood body
  • Cream binding
  • Ebony fretboard
  • 1-11/16 nut width, 2-1/4" string spacing
  • 25.5" scale.
  • Schaller Da Vinci Tuning machines in copper finish.
  • No fretboard inlays except for two polished copper pennies at the 12th fret (back showing One Cent), clear coated or epoxy coated to resist tarnish.
  • Black fretboard side markers for good visibility.
  • Spruce top with a thin layer of brushed copper over the entire top
  • Engraved/etched soundhole rosette and etched outline around the outside of the top to simulate purfling.
  • The copper top will be brushed and polished out and then finished with a clear finish to resist tarnish.
  • For the pickup system, I've opted for the D-Tar Load n Lock pickup to make it easier to manage battery changes.

Using a copper-veneer on top of sitka spruce I'm not expecting a guitar with a monster acoustic tone, but rather an acoustic guitar that might hold its own in a live situation a little better, in front of a real drummer. A lightly-built acoustic is not the objective here.

I've been wanting these Schaller Da Vinci tuners on a guitar ever since I first saw them posted here on the AGF. These are sealed tuners... There is actually a piece of glass in the back as a window.

Simple fretboard inlay keeping with the copper theme of the guitar:

I contacted my friend - Luthier Aaron Andrews about this idea, and he was excited to take on the challenge. Aaron's extensive experience repairing acoustic guitars will surely come into play here and as I already own two other guitars built by him, I know that he builds very solid instruments. This guitar is scheduled to be ready for Healdsburg 2013. I hope he will keep us updated with photos of this build along the way. It should be a fun one!

J.R. Rogers
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks like an awesome experiment! I'm sure Aaron will do a great job.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, JR, I was talking on the phone with Aaron last week, and he told me about this amazing, unique project. Wow! Audacious and vividly cool! I think you got the right guy for the job.

Same as in 2011, Aaron and I will be rooming at the Hyatt during the Healdsburg show. Really looking forward to seeing you guys there again, so we can add another chapter to the history book. Can't wait to see this guitar all done and in your hands!

A little back story:
Aaron Andrews was my shop partner for twelve years, from 2000 until the end of September 2012. Aaron coached me through my first couple of guitar builds in the very beginning, and taught me a lot of the finer points of the craft of lutherie. I couldn't have done it without him. We went through a lot, working side by side for all those years--a lot of hijinx, learning, growing...I really miss those days, and the great synergy we had in the shop on Roosevelt Way in Seattle. I hope we get a chance to work together again, when my current stint in Alabama is done.

Aaron is a designer and craftsman of great skill. His guitars are the epitome of elegance, with sound and playability to match. I'm sure this one is going to be an extraordinary and beautiful instrument... Congratulations, JR--I'll be watching this one closely!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Using a copper-veneer on top of sitka spruce I'm not expecting a guitar with a monster acoustic tone, but rather an acoustic guitar that might hold its own in a live situation a little better, in front of a real drummer. A lightly-built acoustic is not the objective here.
J.R. As a builder of lightly built acoustics you got me thinking. Metal foils can be very thin, about 2% as thick as a piece of paper. While it would not make a pristine surface it would make a real cool looking metalized or aged looking top.
Thank you for the idea!
I hope this guitar exceeds your expectations. I can't wait to see it completed and perhaps hear it.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Humanist

J.R.,

Is there a special tonal goal or expectation with this (on an acoustic guitar), or is it design borne of a purely cosmetic desire...?

EDIT: Oops...I just read the first post in a more attentive fashion.

Question withdrawn!

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
J.R. As a builder of lightly built acoustics you got me thinking. Metal foils can be very thin, about 2% as thick as a piece of paper. While it would not make a pristine surface it would make a real cool looking metalized or aged looking top.
Thank you for the idea!
I hope this guitar exceeds your expectations. I can't wait to see it completed and perhaps hear it.
Steve, you're welcome. I hope the idea takes you somewhere. I'd really love to see what you come up with. Aaron said that the copper is available in varying thicknesses down to foil thin, but if you plan to do any engraving/accent work or heavy finish work, you'll need a thicker piece. (Aaron is getting enough copper for two tops in case the first one has to be a 'learning experience'. ) I hope to find out exactly the thickness he's using as the build progresses. Even using the thicker copper, the veneer will still be fairly thin so the actual affect on tone is a question right now.

Quote:
Is there a special tonal goal or expectation with this (on an acoustic guitar), or is it design borne of a purely cosmetic desire...?
Heavy Metal.

JR
Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM

Just when you think cool original ideas are dying out, along comes something like this.

It sounds like the guitar will be really something visually...there should be loads of curiosity about this one for sure.

Oh, and don't play it in a lightning storm unless your want to do a Thor imitation. :-)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Very cool idea. I have a brass-body resonator that I really enjoy. And Martin made an Aluminum-top guitar. But this is cooler.

One bit of advice on the inlay:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Choose pre-1983 pennies. Those pennies there are made from 97% zinc.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM

Good catch. Birth year pennies perhaps? (If yer old enough J.R.! )

Really cool idea. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Very cool idea. I have a brass-body resonator that I really enjoy. And Martin made an Aluminum-top guitar. But this is cooler.

One bit of advice on the inlay:

Choose pre-1983 pennies. Those pennies there are made from 97% zinc.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Mmmm interesting stuff look forward to the finished guitar. I have been thinking about a copper scratchplate on my walnut jaguar project just today and then read this.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Although I love the look, I never quite got used to the tarnishing of my Antique National reso. My hands would turn green from playing it! Once you get the aged look you like are you going to seal it with lacquer?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Although I love the look, I never quite got used to the tarnishing of my Antique National reso. My hands would turn green from playing it! Once you get the aged look you like are you going to seal it with lacquer?
Absolutely. All the copper needs to have a clear finish on it to prevent tarnish and oxidation.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM

For the pickup system, I've opted for the D-Tar Load n Lock pickup to make it easier to manage battery changes.

And I'm sure this is the battery you'll want to use :-) :

What a cool idea - can't wait to see the build pics!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 PM

This is going to be one sick guitar once completed! this section should now be called JR's custom shop . Congrats.

Jonathan
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Hey all, this is Isaac Berumen the builder of the guitar in the opening post. Just read the thread and am really interested to see this how this new guitar turns out.

Those Da Vinci tuners are cool, had no idea they had an antique copper/bronze.
As for the finish on mine, I did use 80 and 120 grit to give it a brushed look. Of course following the same direction while sanding to avoid cross scratches. On the one picture I didn't use a clearcoat but I have used light coats of Tru Oil on a few to seal the tops. It will add a slightly browner hue vs the salmon color of clean copper.

I look forward to the thread progressing.

Isaac Berumen

https://www.facebook.com/BerumenGuitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop