The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Default I think it's time for another J-45 thread!

Greetings fellow AGF'ers. I'm in the market for a slope shoulder dread. My number one guitar for many years was a 1938 L-OO and before that an early sixties LG-1. Since then I've owned a couple of Taylors, an 814 that I sold and a 514 FLTD that 's for sale locally. I also bought and sold a Larrivee OM and an Alvarez.

I'm a sideman by trade and play with a wide dynamic range, sometimes using a fairly heavy right hand. At home I mostly play finger style but at gigs I play a lot of lead with a fair amount of bending and vibrato. The L-OO is great at at both of those but when I double up on rhythm parts it doesn't always blend well. So I'm basically looking for something that does it all.

So I played a couple of J-45's and felt like I was on the right track. I can dig in with my right hand without it fretting out and can do smooth lead bends. The strumming sound was very nice as well. Now I'm at the point where I'm trying to wade through all the various models and specs before I start to seriously shop.

I'm interested in peoples thoughts and experiences with Vintage, TV, Standards and different wood choices on the more recent Gibsons. I prefer to avoid vintage guitars at this point unless I stumble across one that speaks to me. I'm also considering some non Gibson variants such as the Bourgeois Slope D.

Disclaimer: I realize there is a lot of variation within a particular model and one standard can be very different from another. I plan to get my hands on as many as is practical. Taste is subjective, blah, blah I think some anecdotal discussion can still be helpful. Thanks!
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 07-21-2017, 11:46 AM

Hard to find, but if you can play a Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS, it will be worth your trouble.

It is H&D's take on a J-45 (24.75" scale, 1 3/4" nut, sitka over mahogany).

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 07-21-2017, 01:23 PM

You probably know this already, but it's worth trying them out at a Gibson 5-star dealer closest to you rather than at a big box store.

I bought a J-45 last year (Donovan reissue). My impressions:

Standards: I'd only buy one at a 5-star dealer; the ones I tried at the big box stores were simply either inconsistent, dead strings which they weren't willing to change, and abused.

J-45 variants with rosewood back and sides instead of mahogany: rosewoods I found give it a bit more high end shimmer. Some prefer it, some don't, but it's not better or worse, just different. But not quite as "bright" (relative term for Gibsons) as the Advanced Jumbo, which I prefer over the Standards or its rosewood variants (the "Custom" or whatever it's called). I was deciding between the Advanced Jumbo and Donovan reissue actually. I thought the Advanced Jumbo retains all the great things about the classic J-45 sound but more responsive and less muddy (and more consistent perhaps from one model to the next - but that could be because they're harder to find at the big box stores).

True vintage: feels lighter, more dry, punchier, and woodsier than the standards (in comparison the standards you could say the standards sound a little muddier). And from my memory, more subtle overtones esp when fingerpicked

Vintage: a little meatier than the true vintage without being muddy. Honestly if I had the money this or the TV would've been my choice. I've only played 2 vintages (and 2 TVs) but the vintages are truly just... the closest you'll get to an amazing old guitar that has opened up, except it's new. But $$$$$.

Last edited by greenshoe; 07-21-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM

I'm very happy with my J45 Vintage.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Personally I like the balance and tone of the J-45 standard best. For tone and balance I don't know of any other guitar that comes close. The Martins EQ balance is completely different. The standard J-45 sits right in the mid-range pocket.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

don't count out the Southern Jumbo
and the J15
and the J29
and the J50

and the WM 45 from years back
Old 07-21-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Personally I like the balance and tone of the J-45 standard best. For tone and balance I don't know of any other guitar that comes close. The Martins EQ balance is completely different. The standard J-45 sits right in the mid-range pocket.

Yes, the two Vintage J45's I tried could not compete with the standard 2016 I finally got. Honestly it was also better than another standard I tried, so it may just be an "above par" one. The same happened with my Hummingbird, so it may also just be that the tone and balance of the non-vintage ones are more my personal taste.

Larrivee D10 (2003)
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce (2018)
Martin HD28V (2014)
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 12-string (2016)
Taylor GSmini-e Rosewood (2014)
Gibson J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst (2016)
Ovation Custom Elite CE778 (2002)
Old 07-21-2017, 03:03 PM

I played a few of the Vintage and Standard J45's (maybe 5 of each) and as a Martin fan, was impressed with all but one of each .. old rule - PLAY the one you buy.
The Standards and Vintages ("modern" and "vintage" sound?) certainly are different animals and will suit different tastes.
I've only played one TV so not the same value in my observation, but it sounded hauntingly pleasant without having quite the sound output as the Vintages.

Any of them could be very rewarding guitars.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I just sold my J-45 Standard yesterday. It was OK, but alongside my D-28 Marquis and my Taylor 416ce - LTD, it was a distant third in tone. (Yes, I know apples and oranges and pears.) Had it been a TV, I might have kept it. I think the TV has more clarity and punch. So, tomorrow is hopefully a NGD for me. I have my eyes on a couple of Adi/Hog or Sitka/Hog guitars (neither are Gibsons). My J-45 was not the best build quality, and it was a 2016 model. If you're looking, inspect the build quality. For what they are charging these days, you should expect Martin and/or Taylor quality of build. Sloppy builds are a warning sign that the tone just might be less than optimum.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 PM

I have a J45TV. It is a great guitar with a classic tone. My understanding is they tried to stay completely true to the 1942 (I think) J45 model. Everything on this guitar is old school.... tuners, saddle, nut, .... Great sounding J45, in my opinion. This one is a keeper.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenshoe View Post
You probably know this already, but it's worth trying them out at a Gibson 5-star dealer closest to you rather than at a big box store.

I bought a J-45 last year (Donovan reissue). My impressions:

Standards: I'd only buy one at a 5-star dealer; the ones I tried at the big box stores were simply either inconsistent, dead strings which they weren't willing to change, and abused.

J-45 variants with rosewood back and sides instead of mahogany: rosewoods I found give it a bit more high end shimmer. Some prefer it, some don't, but it's not better or worse, just different. But not quite as "bright" (relative term for Gibsons) as the Advanced Jumbo, which I prefer over the Standards or its rosewood variants (the "Custom" or whatever it's called). I was deciding between the Advanced Jumbo and Donovan reissue actually. I thought the Advanced Jumbo retains all the great things about the classic J-45 sound but more responsive and less muddy (and more consistent perhaps from one model to the next - but that could be because they're harder to find at the big box stores).

True vintage: feels lighter, more dry, punchier, and woodsier than the standards (in comparison the standards you could say the standards sound a little muddier). And from my memory, more subtle overtones esp when fingerpicked

Vintage: a little meatier than the true vintage without being muddy. Honestly if I had the money this or the TV would've been my choice. I've only played 2 vintages (and 2 TVs) but the vintages are truly just... the closest you'll get to an amazing old guitar that has opened up, except it's new. But $$$$$.
Thanks everyone for the info. Unfortunately the nearest 5 star dealer is eight hours away. I was just on the Gibson site and there are a ton of different J-45's. I've only come across the Standard and one other in town so far. The torrefied top model intrigues me but I doubt I'll see one around here. I might have to take a road trip.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:31 AM

The only Gibson slope I would ever consider is the Advanced Jumbo. In my very humble opinion it's the best guitar in Gibson's inventory.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The only Gibson slope I would ever consider is the Advanced Jumbo. In my very humble opinion it's the best guitar in Gibson's inventory.
The Jumbo is a little too large for me. I'm a small guy and Jumbo and full Dreads are awkward for me to hold. The J-45 and OO/OM sizes are mmore comfortable.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
The Jumbo is a little too large for me. I'm a small guy and Jumbo and full Dreads are awkward for me to hold. The J-45 and OO/OM sizes are mmore comfortable.
The AJ has the same body size as a J-45, only the scale is longer at 25.5".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_vH2v9QW0
Old 07-22-2017, 07:00 AM

I have very recently purchased a new 2017 J45 Standard. I had a 1999 model some years back and the general build and finish quality on that one was below par, poor in fact !!
This one is far better indeed although there are a few little finishing flaws which you never see on USA built Guilds !!
I do wonder if buying a J45 or any Gibson acoustic is something for the person who really wants one and knows what they want. A more casual observer would wonder why you didn't spend your not inconsiderable sum on a Guild, Martin or whatever !!!!
As a matter of comparison, the overall finish on my 2013 J35 is a better than the J45, although I do have to say the 45 came beautifully set up.
One gripe.......WHY no bloody truss rod tool ??????? I got one with my Gibson SG bass so thankfully I'm ok !!!!
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion