The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

There is a "collecting" gene in most of us, and it will settle on one or more aspects of our lives ..... WHEN we get an appropriate disposable income.

Some things that men collect have been listed : guitars (of course), cars, guns (in the US anyway) golf stuff, watches, historiana, wine, militaria, sports stuff - any other big men's toys.

Women are not free of this gene.

You are either a hoarder or not.

I'm no trick cyclist, but I suspect it is something about security - a perversion of the instinct to collect food, tools, weapons - maybe those crazy survivalists are closer to the instinct.

I have a friend who is a very fine singer-guitarist and does loads of gigs. He has one guitar.
when he came to visit recentlt, I had three guitars on stands that would make most guitarists drool. He didn't even look at them.

Some don't have the gene.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
There is a "collecting" gene in most of us, and it will settle on one or more aspects of our lives ..... WHEN we get an appropriate disposable income.

Some things that men collect have been listed : guitars (of course), cars, guns (in the US anyway) golf stuff, watches, historiana, wine, militaria, sports stuff - any other big men's toys.
When I cleaned out my father's apartment following his death I found little pocket knives all over the place, in every room but the bathroom. If a piece of furniture had drawers in it, there'd be a pocket knife or two in there.

Those are definitely more compact than the stringed musical instruments I tend to accumulate. (Yeah, but let's hear you play a C minor chord on a Swiss Army knife!)

As for firearms, Dad had passed those along to my sister and me years before. A co-worker of mine was telling me of cleaning out his late father-in-law's house, though - instead of having pocket knives all over the place, this guy had loaded pistols and shoulder weapons hidden everywhere. Evidently he was worried about home invasions and wanted to be prepared no matter what room the bad guys barged into.

It's tough enough as it is going through the belongings of deceased loved ones; I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that.

whm
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
I worked with a younger guy (bartended together) who knew I played. Asked me how much he should spend on a decent electric and amp, I gave him some advice (Buy used. What to buy and how much to spend).

He ended up buying a decent Mexican Strat used and a Peavey Bandit 112 used amp.

I taught him the basics, how to tune the guitar, change strings (for when it came up) and some basic chords (started with full barres but let him know that just playing the root fifth root was good enough for rock n roll).

Each week he came to my house for a lesson, he showed up with a different pedal. First he bought a distortion pedal, which I told him he didn't need since the Bandit had a drive channel. Next he had a reverb pedal, again the Bandit had reverb.

Then it was all manner of phasers, ring modulators, chorus, delay, envelop filter, etc.

Told me he wanted to be known as the guitar god that always had a bunch of effects on his guitar. I told him that wouldn't help if he didn't really know how to play.

After almost 3 months (and a lot of money) he told me he didn't want to play guitar anymore.

He ended up selling his amp and guitar for what he'd paid for it, but took a bath on most of the effects (which he'd bought new).

Hooked some of my guitarist buddies up, gave them good deals and he got a fair price for his very gently used premium stomp boxes.

For this guy, he was more about the idea of playing guitar than actually putting in the work. And was more about acquiring gear than playing and practicing.
I have a friend like that; he has some nice guitars but no matter how much I have tried to get him to play and practise, I'm afraid he will never be a musician. Polishing, preening and admiring them is more to his taste.
Another chap I know is a bit of a fantasist and buys guitars because of player association; the number of really fine guitars he has bought and sold is eye-watering. He knows all about Telecasters and their history; however, ask him to play an Am and you'll be met with a blank stare.
Different strokes I guess.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:49 AM

I'm very very into playing and music.
I'm also very very into gear, guitars, mics, speakers, nice cables, interfaces, DAWs, making good sound panels etc.

Both coexist peacefully.
No shame, guilt, or conflict.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Women are not free of this gene.

You are either a hoarder or not.

I'm no trick cyclist, but I suspect it is something about security - a perversion of the instinct to collect food, tools, weapons - maybe those crazy survivalists are closer to the instinct.

I have a friend who is a very fine singer-guitarist and does loads of gigs. He has one guitar.
when he came to visit recentlt, I had three guitars on stands that would make most guitarists drool. He didn't even look at them.

Some don't have the gene.
That collecting gene manifests itself in me in my love of vintage cameras-difference being that I do actually use my Canon A1, AV1, EF and associated lenses. Oh, and valve radios. Erm, and model railways. Oh yes; and out of print books on steam railway engineering. Looks like it's the comfy couch for me then Andy!
Old 07-21-2017, 04:19 AM

It is the way of the world, isn't it?

You know, driving behind the top of the line Mercedes convertible with a learner driver, or the beginner guitarist with a custom Lowden or Martin, sometimes gifts, sometimes paid for.

But you know, quite a lot of years ago, I was playing a fairly middling tune on a middling guitar and this rich guy I had met said something to the tune of: "I would give anything to play like that, but I can't!"

BluesKing777.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:37 AM

People who buy nice guitars and don't play much are my favorite people in the world. I have a closet full of nice guitars that I bought used in mint condition for a fraction of what I would have paid if I had bought them new. I like being subsidized.

I hate buying instruments from great players who don't care about their gear. They are beat to crap, need a lot of work, and are usually overpriced.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

I'm still a beginner at this. My goal is to become a good player, not the old guy with the expensive guitars.

It's always not the tool but the skill of the craftsman using it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=600ykNF3md4
Old 07-21-2017, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

I do not see why this is an "either/or" question. Of course a desire to play and love of music drives the bargain. But an appreciation of nice gear (defined any way you like) is a pleasure. I'm not sure why I'd be concerned with measuring which is preferred. I don't think there are many people who simply buy instruments to look at them. Most people play them. This seems like a very odd question.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 AM

Even a pastime as ostensibly cerebral as chess has 'gear'. You can buy sets and boards made from beautiful woods costing thousands. You can buy books and software that claim to provide a shortcut to success.

Of course none of it makes you a better player without putting the time in ( trust me I know!) But it's still good fun.

Last edited by Silurian; 07-21-2017 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2017, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I like both. I like playing. I also like collecting things. I'd like to have one amp from every company that makes them, for no other reason than to say I have them. And if they have shiny logos, so much the better. (I'm talking to you, Vox.)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:16 AM

The more demanding the activity, the more attention you have to pay to your gear.

If you like to mall walk for exercise, doesn't matter much. If you want to hike the Appalachian Trail end to end, you'll need to know about boots no matter how well you know how to walk.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The more demanding the activity, the more attention you have to pay to your gear.

Skydiving comes to mind.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Skydiving comes to mind.
I buy "imperfect" parachutes. Save some big money.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I buy "imperfect" parachutes. Save some big money.
Craigslist ad: "Parachute for sale--used once. Never opened."
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion