The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 AM

A fairly severe left-hand injury when I was about 22 took me offline - except for slide - for years.

After that, and a couple of reparative surgeries, I got most of the function back - just in time for the digital music boom to undercut payment for live music. I've been asked to play for free quite a bit, and it's both demeaning and dispiriting.

I *have* done free gigs for friends having an art opening, or such - they're friends, I'm doing them a favor, no issues - they've done poster art for me in exchange. But a bar or restaurant (e.g., commercial entity) asking for that is another thing entirely, and it seems to have become the status quo. And it makes me want to just give up, sometimes, because the act of producing live music on a small scale - which is a high-wire act, really - is deeply undervalued.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:13 PM

Default I quit

A really good guitarist will remind me I stink.

Time. Not having enough time for needs as well as wants. Work, home, family etc., never mind other interests.

I had already quit gigging with some friends because the the above, and, because I was getting really concerned about going deaf. (We had some crazy fun times) Then I just stopped playing everything.

Started getting pretty bummed. Playing again pulled me out of it. TG.

Now I stink for friends from time to time. They enjoy it, and often ask me to play more. The band called me last month. Who knows, maybe I'll try to sing and play with them again with those expensive ear plugs I got. I still stink but now I'm playing for me. Don't care. I still don't have time to improve much, but I just love to play. I think its like meditation for me. Takes me somewhere good.

I think stinking may at times, be relative.

Enjoy playing at your level everybody. Music will probably save the world.
RNF

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-17-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Removed multiple profanities
Old 07-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I started at age 54, 4 years ago and love it. I try not to let anything discourage me, I don't have time for it.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM

The local musicians in my area are less than welcoming and not particularly good.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Guest 33123

Learning David Laibman's ragtime piano arrangements for the guitar. 3 years and 7 pieces later I've had enough. I'm finishing off Maple Leaf Rag and then that's it! I can't take any more. As my darling wife told me during my last bout of verbalized frustration "You need to stop learning piano songs". Love that girl.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 PM

Sometimes I'll listen to a player like Joe Pass and feel dismayed that I'll never be "great" like those guys. Then I start playing again and realize that it's enjoyable even to be a hack player
Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Sometimes I'll listen to a player like Joe Pass and feel dismayed that I'll never be "great" like those guys. Then I start playing again and realize that it's enjoyable even to be a hack player
That should cover a lot of us. Very wise philosophy.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:20 PM

"The local musicians in my area are less than welcoming and not particularly good"

I'll agree to that. There is a local open mic every Monday at a bbq place. The place will mention it in their radio and tv advertisements. It's not very open. If your not part of their existing group, your not allowed in that section.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM

Super talented 5 year old kid who shreds.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoney View Post
In my university guitar ensemble (5 guitar plus bass and drums) I had lead on a challenging tune. When we performed live I screwed up the part really bad and it was super noticeable. Non-musicians probably noticed. I never quit obviously but that was a cringe-worthy experience
Practice. I hate it.

sm
Old 07-17-2017, 03:01 PM

Things that have made me want to quit making music:

Working in 'the music business'

Being in bands with the wrong people

Visiting a Guitar Center
Old 07-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
"The local musicians in my area are less than welcoming and not particularly good"

I'll agree to that. There is a local open mic every Monday at a bbq place. The place will mention it in their radio and tv advertisements. It's not very open. If your not part of their existing group, your not allowed in that section.
It seems like musicians can often be very competitive with others, to the point of being hostile.

And (online at least), sometimes there is scorn heaped on people who would play somewhere for free. There was a long thread about this at another site I read. "The free players/hobbyists have caused all the paying gigs to dry up", etc.

Music is an art, we should all be sharing and helping develop it together. The end result being that everyone gets to enjoy an ever-better standard of the art. It should be a community where we are all striving for the same thing, to fill the world with more beauty.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoney View Post
In my university guitar ensemble (5 guitar plus bass and drums) I had lead on a challenging tune. When we performed live I screwed up the part really bad and it was super noticeable. Non-musicians probably noticed. I never quit obviously but that was a cringe-worthy experience
Facebook. Somebody posted some video of me and let me say it was somewhat discouraging. But I still play.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
Living in the horrors of addiction, I lost my way with many things. After playing nearly every day since 1976, I put down my guitar around 1998. Thereafter, I picked up my guitar only a few times a year until 2012. With 10 years clean, and regular participation in a 12 step program, I found my way back to my love for playing and song writing. Now, with 15 year clean, I have a good job I love. I have been able to buy/sell many fine guitars and finally traded for my dream guitar; a Jake Robinson SJ Brazilian/Bearclaw Sitka beauty I found right here on AGF. Now I'm about to purchase my ultimate plug and play open mic guitar and start putting my songs out on stage in my community. Who knows, I may even start getting some gigs and pursue my dreams even further.
You and I have the same amount of time clean. I'm somewhat amazed at how much money I have left over at the end of the day/week/month now that it no longer goes to the demons. So occasionally I take some of it and put it into a new guitar. I've never been under any illusions that I have any particular gift as a musician, and I sometimes lament that I started taking guitar seriously so late in life because I might have been halfway decent, but then I remember that I'm sober and alive and happy and it's a gift to be able to noodle around with a clear head and positive mind.

And then I see some 12 year old on youtube who can fingerpick like Chet Atkins. Sigh.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-17-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM

other musicians

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion