The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-16-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Which of the more well known luthiers commonly build tight radius fretboard?

Just wondering which of the more well known custom shops/ luthiers are commonly building guitars with small fretboard radius. Such as 12", or even compound radius?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Many of "us" can customize whatever radius (straight or compound) you want, within reason. Just send out some emails or PM's and we will reply.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

In my collaborations, I view my role as realizing the customer's needs/goals/fantasies while guiding them around obstacles and out right errors. In this process there doesn't seem to be much I haven't done, but of course there actually is; It all part of the adventure. What Tim said!

While not an out right mistake, too tight a fingerboard radius on an ACOUSTIC guitar can have an imbalancing effect due to giving the middle strings greater leverage on the bridge than the outside strings, it's a potential tonal issue.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

In recent years a large percentage of my guitars have been a 12 radius...ALL of my personal guitars are a 12 radius. I personally am very comfortable with a 12 radius both as a player and builder. That said, my standard offering is a 16 but I do encourage a 12 any chance I get

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Many of "us" can customize whatever radius (straight or compound) you want, within reason. Just send out some emails or PM's and we will reply.
I have found this to be true. I know Kathy Wingert built my guitars with a compound radius and is very open to working with the wants and needs of the customer.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Default I now know what I am looking for

I have spent the past couple of hours just listening on dreamsguitars site and YT.

At least based upon listening, I have a very clear favorite. Circa 7/8 spruce/cocobolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsnop2jEo7E

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...-european.html

This is exactly the tone i am after. Perhaps this is more vintage than modern, I am not sure. But this is certainly it. Clarity, depth, excellent balance. Simply superb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop