The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-08-2017, 06:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
I always loved that's picture, those delicate 00's poised in front of that monster resaw. Those were the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Well I have always waited with minty breath myself. Steve, please don't let Bob breathe on my guitar when it comes back. I don't want him to spoil the aroma therapy.

Congrats on starting your project. Sounds like fun to me!
Dennis, our trouble lately is getting Bob down here. No worries it seems on the aroma. But hey--do you plan on smoking cigars around your OM when finished?!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
I always loved that's picture, those delicate 00's poised in front of that monster resaw. Those were the days.

Dennis, our trouble lately is getting Bob down here. No worries it seems on the aroma. But hey--do you plan on smoking cigars around your OM when finished?!

Steve

I really should have explained the photo, but it is a classic in my mind. Of course, I am a legend in my own mind too!

The photo...

... perhaps a little brighter here, is from an old CFMartin catalog. Oh how I drooled over that catalog and that photo!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

Steve
Nope. My cigars and guitars don't even know about each other. I prefer to keep it that way.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Default S.Kinnaird 00 Indonesian Rosewood/CO BlueSpruce

Wood selection always begins the process. I had thought I would use this claro walnut...

But after spending some time with Steve in the shop and seeing that the Indonesian rosewood appeared more dense, I decided to go with it.

You'll see the color mismatch Steve was concerned about between the back of the sides, and why he decided to repaint the sides.
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quite the difference between back and sides. Can't wait to see what Steve did. Really beautiful back Bob. Lovely!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I'm looking forward to following this one too.

Beautiful back. I too went down the Indonesian Rosewood road, and I ended up with one heck of a guitar. Mine too had streaks of purple (looked like a calico cat), and although we considered purple heart to go with it, we used Camatillo instead. I'm sure Steve and Ryan will make this one purdy!
Old 07-10-2017, 01:31 PM

So gluing together the back and after painting the sides to match and cutting out the '00' pattern it looks like this:
Old 07-10-2017, 01:39 PM

That is stunning Bob!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM

In our ‘pre-thread’ in the Kinnaird 2017 Shop Work thread, TomB asked if I had used pull to get a ‘00’ going since it isn’t one of their standard models and Steve replied, “Yes he did. Or more accurately, he called in a favor. Bob might tell the story, and I shudder to think of his rendition, but I first became acquainted with the Martin 00 thanks to Bob. He has an old 00-21, a nearly perfect guitar. It really was love at first strum. And for years we have talked about doing one ourselves. So here we are, 38 years later (luthier time, ya know) gettin' er done!”

I’ve used up so many favors I didn’t think I had any left in the account, but Steve’s too gracious to even look, I think. I hope to put some photos of the Nearly Perfect Guitar in this thread at some point, but I am not sure I can get decent pictures of the part that matters – the scalloped bracing. This is no ordinary Martin-shop scalloped bracing, owing to the fact that the guitar came out of Martin circa 1974, in their ‘industrial era’ without scalloped braces.

Speaking of favors, Frank Ford and Richard Johnston at Gryphon in Palo Alto (http://www.gryphonstrings.com) have done countless favors for me over the years. This time it was Richard Johnston who performed the favor by scalloping the braces, in-situ! He watched hours of TV with his hand in the soundhole, using a small rasp-device, arduously scalloping the braces! Yeah, he likely charged me for the job, but not enough. Thanks again, Richard. The little ‘00’ (Ms Marty) then began to sing even prettier than before!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:39 PM

It’s always fun to see what you guitar might look like after the finish is applied. Ryan sent this picture showing what the colors would look like (with the purpleheart being used for the binding shown down the middle of the back):

We elected no back center stripe given how lovely the match is without it. I think prior to the parlor Steve and Ryan built for me, all of my guitars had backstripes, but they did so well with it

…the parlor back being (pretty obviously?) sycamore.

This Indonesian rosewood looked like another candidate for similar treatment.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

The back wood certainly is going to look stunning.

And I don't know what Steve did to the sides, but they definitely look like more of a match to the back now.

I could either way on the backstrip--the purpleheart looks awesome as will the back without it.

Congrats on what is sure to be a masterpiece!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful. That sycamore is stunning!
Old 07-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
The back wood certainly is going to look stunning.

And I don't know what Steve did to the sides, but they definitely look like more of a match to the back now.

I could either way on the backstrip--the purpleheart looks awesome as will the back without it.

Congrats on what is sure to be a masterpiece!
Yes, I was wondering what he did with the sides also, a stain of some sort I would assume....must have tried a few variations to get it right though.

I am a sucker for sapwood and would definitely not use a back strip on this one, that wood at the seam is the coolest part of the whole back in my humble opinion.

Keep the pics comin Bob!!!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I was wondering what he did with the sides also...
He said something about magic, but i think he just painted them. I'm sure sooner or later his ears will prick up and he'll tell us the full story. Or not!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
He said something about magic, but i think he just painted them. I'm sure sooner or later his ears will prick up and he'll tell us the full story. Or not!
Hmmm, not sure painted is right is it? I am sure the man himself will chime in shortly....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop