The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Maybe we are overthinking this building process.

From about 1:50 - 2:10 I am guessing that these are laminate guitars. For a five minute dovetail neck set see 19:45 - 24:20. I feel like a primadona measuring and fussing about every last operation with my fancy tools. Mind you if I did it day in and day out I guess I could also whip a guitar off in no time.

And then there is the 10 minute guitar setup.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:41 PM

That's where the old adage "Eyeball once, cut once" came from......
Old 06-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

If only you had an opportunity to watch Bruce Sexauer build - he builds very quickly, with minimal jigs or specialized tools, and makes absolutely outstanding instruments. There is a fair bit of skill and expertise involved, largely gained and greatly refined thru many years of careful practice and very perceptive evaluation -
Old 06-25-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
If only you had an opportunity to watch Bruce Sexauer build - he builds very quickly, with minimal jigs or specialized tools, and makes absolutely outstanding instruments. There is a fair bit of skill and expertise involved, largely gained and greatly refined thru many years of careful practice and very perceptive evaluation -
He's not part Indonesian is he?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

He is pretty worldly - ;-)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:03 AM

I just bought a beater to carry on airplanes; the latest Yamaha FG800 which is their bottom of the line solid top dreadnought. It is an amazing example of design and likely automated manufacturing.

If you look inside, it is neater than a 70's Martin, solid bridge plate, and forward shifted squared off scalloped bracing (pre Andy Powers Taylor). The top is well quartered with rays across the entire surface. The finish is thin poly and perfect on the body. The satin finish on the neck shows a few sanding marks near the heel. The appointments are D-18 with the addition of black neck binding. The frets are absolutely perfect, and perfectly uniform (this had to be a machine's work I only paid $170 using a 15% off coupon).

What really blows me away is that classic Yamaha tight radius top which I imagine they use to cut down on top cracks and neck reset problems. In these guitars the bridge bottom is radiused and the top where the fretboard extension is located is also radiused. The neck points at the bridge with a perfectly aligned no 14th-fret-hump fretboard extension. This had to be all jigs and CNC. All three on display at GC were the same in this regard and I don't think three Taylors would look quite this perfect (and don't if the shims are not just right).

Sound wise it is brighter than a better sounding (to my ear) Martin but actually louder. I suspect if I actually played it every day Martins would start to sound dull to me.

I am in a book club that is of late reading post-apocalypse novels and we recently finished Vonnegut's "Player Piano". Labor in China might be cheap, but this thing shows every sign of computer aided design of sophisticated jigs and CNC software.

Some group of people really over thought this and it is amazing (to me!).

What if they really went square at a great guitar and flattened out that top while keeping the price point???
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-26-2017, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Watching the guy cut braces free hand on the table saw made me shiver 😰
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

The one thing I couldn't help noticing was the extreme fire danger throughout the factory. Apparently some on site living areas, guys smoking, open finish spraying, no dust control, electric outlets lying in sawdust. Seems like a tragedy waiting to happen.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:50 AM

These guys build a lot like I do Lots of hand tools, sitting on the floor, holding things with their feet, hammering chisels with the palm of their hand. But they're a heck of a lot faster at it.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM

I want to give them a chair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM

They already have a chair: it is being used as a holding fixture.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:35 AM

Very enlightening videos. I’ve learned:

I’m wasting a lot of time measuring, aligning, and centering the back and top to the rim, etc. None is necessary.

I’m rich with work bench space.

My messy shop is downright tidy by comparison to theirs.

Nails can be used to fasten the top if you paint or burst all tops.

Less clamps would be required if I work barefoot.

Need to use my hand power planer instead of sanding the rim lining strips.

I’m better at gluing binding.

That shop is one of the suppliers of guitars that can be purchased and delivered to your door for less than $80. They’re worth what you pay for them, not much.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM

They could probably make them a lot faster if it wasn't for the stringent Health and Safety, and Quality Control checks.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 PM

If you haven't seen this one before, it's well worth the time:

Circa 1917 ukulele making - a quickie from museum archives, showing how it's done with even fewer tools and fixtures:

https://youtu.be/MxapCiRm278

Frank Ford
Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 AM

Don't mistake what looks simple for crude/imprecise rough work....

Go watch a seasoned repair man do a setup... He can zip right through it.... Look look, file a little here, tap tap there, adjust the truss rod and done... And it's bang on right...

Ever seen a good pro tile guy lay tile... They just slap on mortar and stick them down... But when they are done - the tiles are all level, square, spaced right, and don't pop back off in 6 months....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair