The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Is that Joe Bonamassa's "Spot"? I heard it was up for sale on Rumbleseat. Joe, who own several real Bursts, isn't into fakes.

MORE

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Is that Joe Bonamassa's "Spot"? I heard it was up for sale on Rumbleseat. Joe, who own several real Bursts, isn't into fakes.

MORE

Bob
http://www.guitarhq.com/lpsun.html

Spot has different grain structure and has a clearly seen center seam and a very nice slip match...possible whooops as I was looking at the picture on the top of the page you linked to...huh...well, can't find a pic that clearly indicates which is Spot but what I did find doesn't show the guitar in the OP

I saved the picture from the first post to HDD and have blown it up, etc., and see no indication of any seam...if there is a seam then I withdraw my view on it being fake. considering the history of Gibson I'd be blown away if they used a 1 piece top on any guitar as:

1: such a wide board is not all that easy to find (I have one in my garage possibly wide enough to pull that off...I know it's wide enough to be used as a cap on a Randy Rhoads guitar and pull off the long wing in one piece and still have a seam down the center line as defined by the neck)

2: Gibson's business model back then would more likely be consistent with the occurrence of a 3 piece top (cheaper to get the wood) than a 1 piece top

perhaps it's been re-topped?

either way, from what I've read they were all 2 piece tops with some having seams off center as they were intended to be golds and were made into bursts.

if I won the lottery and had $$$$$$$$ I'd stay far away from this guitar even though it does look like a beauty

Last edited by Wozer; 07-16-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: link to history of Les Pauls
Old 07-16-2017, 08:17 AM

My apologies...I think...pretty sure...

saved all the images and the one from a more rear angle is more defined and I think I can finally make out the seam...

(Wozer pulls foot out of mouth and asks for forgiveness)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

MORE

Bob
It is. I saw it as an Instagram post this morning, and a couple of folks "in the know" identified it as Spot.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
It is. I saw it as an Instagram post this morning, and a couple of folks "in the know" identified it as Spot.
Spot

OP Les Paul

they don't look remotely similar...Spot has a clearly seen center seam, and the OP was joined on a very good day for the craftsman (who either got lucky as all dickens, or took the time to get a tad OCD with the slip match)...the grain structure (not the flaming) is radically different on the two guitars
Old 07-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Ok, yeah. The pic I saw was posted this morning or last night, and was also from Rumble Seat. Spot is missing both pickup covers, too. Found a better pic of it.

That's an odd one. Wonder what the deal with the one in the Reverb listing. Like you said, that must be one seriously OCD craftsman matching that top or something else is going on. The body slab is all one piece, and the fret markers seem right, and the fretboard looks like it might could be Brazilian rosewood with a lot of years on it. It's about the same color as my Yairi.

Maybe photobucket is holding their real pics hostage?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars