The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Kathy wingert made a harp guitar out of that sort of striped ebony in the past and I always thought it was cool. Good luck!
I can confirm. Kathy loaned me that guitar for a couple of nights when I was trying to decide whether a HG was right for me, and it's a lovely instrument.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:59 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Traditional with an edge .... I like that. I'd say you got the edge covered with that b/s. So the top fairly traditional? I heard John does some nice flame work.

Kidding aside, Congrats Mike. Really great to see you get back in the mix.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Mike, that's going to be amazing! Are you adding a rib bevel? I'm a huge fan of both the arm and rib bevel. Can't wait to see the details as it comes closer!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Traditional with an edge .... I like that. I'd say you got the edge covered with that b/s. So the top fairly traditional? I heard John does some nice flame work.

Kidding aside, Congrats Mike. Really great to see you get back in the mix.
Dennis, i LOVE kidding...the world needs more of it . Th top will be pretty traditional with a fairly basic style rosette....a little MOP over black with possibly some red. We haven't discussed flames yet, but after seeing Pauls, who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mike, that's going to be amazing! Are you adding a rib bevel? I'm a huge fan of both the arm and rib bevel. Can't wait to see the details as it comes closer!!
Thanks Mike! I am a huge fan of both also. The arm bevel is a must, but I've gone back and forth on the bevel for the ribs. I lean into my guitars too much and I DO like them...I've actually made my ribs sore before sitting playing for long periods. I'll keep ya posted.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile Go for the bevels!!!

Go for the bevels! I told John that often when I am driving home after two or three gigs I get a pain in my sternum that makes me wonder if I am having a heart attack!

Then I think, oh, it is just where the upper bout pokes me in the chest. I should be used to it after 25 years or so now... Since I am usually seated and usually have the axe up on my left leg in a semi-classical position. And when I am playing the harmonica in the rack I really do not pay enough attention to the pain i am causing myself. Yikes

Now that I have John trained to suffer through the comfort bevels, you might as well take advantage of it! Haha. (Sorry John, but Mike deserves some serious comfort at this point! Don't you think?)

Mike you are welcome to come to San Diego and play my new one, before you decide! Assuming it comes back from Steve? the finish wizard, before then... or go visit JK before he ships mine and give it a serious work out! I told John he should keep mine for a few weeks and really check it out, so he can suss out all the new stuff he is doing on my behalf!

Beautiful woods and it should be a stunner. We are all very happy for you.
You deserve it!!!

Have fun

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-16-2017, 03:44 PM

It's so pretty it doesn't even look real. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Go for the bevels! I told John that often when I am driving home after two or three gigs I get a pain in my sternum that makes me wonder if I am having a heart attack!

Then I think, oh, it is just where the upper bout pokes me in the chest. I should be used to it after 25 years or so now... Since I am usually seated and usually have the axe up on my left leg in a semi-classical position. And when I am playing the harmonica in the rack I really do not pay enough attention to the pain i am causing myself. Yikes

Now that I have John trained to suffer through the comfort bevels, you might as well take advantage of it! Haha. (Sorry John, but Mike deserves some serious comfort at this point! Don't you think?)

Mike you are welcome to come to San Diego and play my new one, before you decide! Assuming it comes back from Steve? the finish wizard, before then... or go visit JK before he ships mine and give it a serious work out! I told John he should keep mine for a few weeks and really check it out, so he can suss out all the new stuff he is doing on my behalf!

Beautiful woods and it should be a stunner. We are all very happy for you.
You deserve it!!!

Have fun

Cheers

Paul
Paul, Ok...between you and Mike you got me thinking and I agree I need the rib bevel. I was gonna leave it off, but thanks to you guys I'm making that addition. Thanks to both of you for helping me see the light. Now, as to the flames...still thinkin' about that one lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
It's so pretty it doesn't even look real. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
dneal, Thank you!

Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

This is going to be a beauty! Glad you're back to a new build, and it will be a nice "sideshow" for in between John's other builds.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

I remember when John bought that set of Ebony. We were at the Santa Barbara show (and in need of some encouragement) when he walks back to our table showing this set off. "Look what I just bought!" "D'oh!" I thought, "That could have been mine"... The gloom deepened.

Magnificent set of wood there, and many congratulations for what is sure to be a fine instrument!

Kinnaird Brothers West

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
I remember when John bought that set of Ebony. We were at the Santa Barbara show (and in need of some encouragement) when he walks back to our table showing this set off. "Look what I just bought!" "D'oh!" I thought, "That could have been mine"... The gloom deepened.

Magnificent set of wood there, and many congratulations for what is sure to be a fine instrument!

Kinnaird Brothers West
I don't think I bought the last set. There was more. Your attention was elsewhere buying up all the best AD tops.

Kinnaird Brothers East
Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

Kinnaird Brothers West
Thanks Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I don't think I bought the last set. There was more. Your attention was elsewhere buying up all the best AD tops.

Kinnaird Brothers East
So, is this a little taste of what we once referred to as that old fashioned "sibling rivalry"?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Congrats. With all the beauties you are letting go, I am happy you are getting a new one. You really do not mess around.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 PM

Congrats on the new build Mike, that Ebony is really cool. Should be a stunner with that top. This will be fun to follow along and see what else you do with it.
Travis
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Wow...this will be a really fun build Mike. I'll add my voice to those giving a thumbs up to the selection of woods. You and John Kinnard have a great track record already and I look forward to following along with this build too.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Congrats. With all the beauties you are letting go, I am happy you are getting a new one. You really do not mess around.
Jamie? That you? Hey thanks for the kind words. I've certainly let a few slip thru my fingers...Hope this one wins my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Congrats on the new build Mike, that Ebony is really cool. Should be a stunner with that top. This will be fun to follow along and see what else you do with it.
Travis
Travis, Thank buddy. Maybe we'll get together when this is done and let you give it the once over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Wow...this will be a really fun build Mike. I'll add my voice to those giving a thumbs up to the selection of woods. You and John Kinnard have a great track record already and I look forward to following along with this build too.
Thanks Doug! Looking forward to the next time we can hook up somewhere fun. It does seem to me that I recall you were starting something...yes? Keep me posted!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop