The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I was once advised by a representative from D'addario that strings start to lose their quality as soon as they are wound. They expect them to have lost most of their quality after about 18 months - therefore the hermetically sealed envelopes are rather important. If it is compromised in any way - and we never know how old strings already are when we buy them, then it is entirely possible that we are buying compromised stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I've seen you post that before and no doubt they told you that, but I don't buy it. As long as the strings are well stored in dry (non corrosive conditions) there's no real reason they would "go off" after such a short period. I've used strings a decade old, and probably more, that seemed to perform just as well as new ones.
Exactly my point.

That's not a representative that I would want working for me, that's for sure. Sorry, but my BS meter almost broke reading that one.

I keep loads of spare strings in a cardboard box in their original paper packaging. Some of them have been in there for years and I've never experienced a loss in quality.

I also have the 25 pack of D'Addario mediums that come in a roll, completely open to the air in my studio. I only use them on my National Tri-Cone, of which gets a string change every 6 months. Do the math. Never had a problem.

My thinking is that if the strings are kept in a room where the climate is relatively stable, there shouldn't be any issues at all. I also highly doubt that once the string leaves the factory that it's going to be sitting in a hot, humid room in Costa Rica for months on end.

There are far more serious things to worry about my friend. If for anything, use the strings that came in those punctured bags first, and it's at all possible, try buying your strings in the future from D'Addario directly. Either that or use a more reputable string dealer rather than someone on Ebay.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 07-16-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Exactly my point.

That's not a representative that I would want working for me, that's for sure. Sorry, but my BS meter almost broke reading that one.

He was a person from D'addario USA. Frankly I don't like his attitude - but he said it!

I keep loads of spare strings in a cardboard box in their original paper packaging. Some of them have been in there for years and I've never experienced a loss in quality.

>>>>> I keep my strings in a sealed plastic box inside original packaging. We don't have extremes of humidity here but when you pay D'addario prices for string in "VCI" (Vapour Corrosion Inhibitor) packaging - you don't want to see it damaged before you open it!

I also have the 25 pack of D'Addario mediums that come in a roll, completely open to the air in my studio. I only use them on my National Tri-Cone, of which gets a string change every 6 months. Do the math. Never had a problem.

>>>>> Fair enough - but I wouldn't do that.

My thinking is that if the strings are kept in a room where the climate is relatively stable, there shouldn't be any issues at all. I also highly doubt that once the string leaves the factory that it's going to be sitting in a hot, humid room in Costa Rica for months on end.

Toby, I simply want the product I've paid for - new strings in "VCI" packaging intact. It is (I believe) illegal to sell a product in the UK/EU that doesn't meet the standards of how it is marketed.

There are far more serious things to worry about my friend.

>>>> Yes indeed - as you know I'm trying to recover from throat cancer and trying hard to learn things like swallowing, eating solids, etc. If I wasn't pretty much house bound I might have other priorities - but I'm a terrier for poor quality.

If for anything, use the strings that came in those punctured bags first, and it's at all possible, try buying your strings in the future from D'Addario directly.

>>>> No that isn't possible - D'addario UK sell only to dealers.

Either that or use a more reputable string dealer rather than someone on Ebay.

I repeat - the dealer is perfectly reputable and supporting me - (they have other issues with D'addario packaging) - BTW - they are in the top ten D'addario resellers in the UK.

See my replies - above

Andy
Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM

I've used D'addario strings that have been stored for over 10 years and they are fine.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I've used D'addario strings that have been stored for over 10 years and they are fine.
That is very fortunate. I wonder if they were properly sealed on the VCI style envelopes?

BTW - regarding the info about strings going off, or past a never told "best before" date - I am simply passing on something that was told to me by someone in the Customer Services department of D'addario. Can't remember when or whom.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Folks, by sending photos and measurements - I've finally got D'addario to take my complaint seriously.

What they have done is to change the packaging of ten packs (specifically EJ17s but probably on other gauges too).

The new packaging is less strong (thin card - not cardboard) and smaller.
This means that the silver "VCI" (Corrosion inhibitor) envelopes get damaged at the packing stage, and as the outside box has no integrity - strings are more likely to get further damaged in the post.

What seems important to D'addario is the number of complaints - so if you but ten packs and you see the problem - don't pick on your dealer - tell D'addario Customer service about it.

That's all folks,
Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 AM

Thanks for your campaigning work on all of our behalfs Andy.

Buying ten packs is a bit too optimistic for some of us here....
Old 07-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

snip ....
This was my motivation. Seriously.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:28 PM

New pack on the left and old sturdy pack on the right. The new pack collapsed during shipping and the strings punctured the sealed inner packages. The new boxes are not an improvement?

https://ericduplantis.smugmug.com/Gu...r-HD/i-NJBQmmV
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericduplantis View Post
New pack on the left and old sturdy pack on the right. The new pack collapsed during shipping and the strings punctured the sealed inner packages. The new boxes are not an improvement?

That's a excellent picture of the problem.
I suggest you send/email a copy to D'Addario with your description above.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:

The box on the left in that photo looks like the quality my 3-pack EJ16s come in, and I've never had the string puncture the bags or the boxes look like that upon arrival. But if I did, I'd simply ask for money off or a full refund depending on how bad they were damaged.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The 10-pack packaging I've been getting for quite a while is like the one on the left. Fortunately I haven't had a problem yet.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

Buying ten packs is a bit too optimistic for some of us here....
Quote:
This was my motivation. Seriously.
Yeah . I know that mate, sorry I had to add the all too appropriate gallows humour, just my way of being cruel to be callous ....
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Just once again, this is NOT about counterfeited strings via eBay, this s about the reduced quality of D'addario ten pack packaging.

I will be contacting D'addario UK.

Nevermind.....
Old 07-26-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Nevermind.....
Not sure what you wanted to say or imply. They are not counterfeit strings. Same supplier, different new packaging from D'Adarrio.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:12 AM

I bought a 10 pack of each ej16 and ej26. They were both ej26! I have a music store in Thayer Mo. I've been informing everyone but nobody seems to care,yet. Maybe just a mistake at the factory?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion