The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-18-2017, 05:28 AM

Default 3d Model of compensated saddle

Hi All
I have found various 'fixed' models to print but Im actually looking for a parametric model in Autodesk inventor or solidworks etc (parametric is where you can type in parameters and adjust the model). I would like to have a go at producing better intonation by printing carbon fibre or aluminium saddles and nuts.

I can model fine but lack the luthier knowledge and maths needed to do it myself...not sure if someone else may have gone down this road yet?
Thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM

I am assuming that you want to make a compensated saddle for your own guitar ... possibly the one you mention on your other thread ?

If that is so, then my advice would be to forget all about 3-D printing ... just buy an oversize bone saddle, and spend the time manually making it fit, and doing the compensation.

The only time technology enters into the equation is when you use a strobe tuner to test the accuracy of your handwork.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the reply
Im not imagining that its going to dial in the perfect solution...just a closer starting point. It accurate to about 50 microns so I thought it might be fun.
I like the idea of getting a great final fitted saddle and being able to print copies without a problem...even if the bone was the starting point. Also like the idea of trying different materials ie carbon fibre, aluminium etc albeit it in an abs medium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair