The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Chip in headstock by nut

I just received my new Yamaha RSP20CR in the mail and it plays awesome. The only defect I could find was a little chip by the nut. Normally I wouldn't care about this, but it's right by the nut so I'm wondering if it should be of concern. In person it doesn't seen like a chip, but just an indent in the wood done with a tool. I do not not notice any in playing the low E string other than it drones a little shorter than the A, but I think that is normal anyway. My guitar tech said it is fine but I'm looking for a second opinion. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2017, 01:28 PM

That shouldn't ever cause a problem for you, IMO. You could have your guy touch it up with filler if it bothers you aesthetically. It's just a little chip out of the end of the headstock cap veneer. Doesn't affect the nut at all.

Minor niggle, I know ... but when you lay out that much for an axe you expect it to be perfect. None ever are, really.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
That shouldn't ever cause a problem for you, IMO. You could have your guy touch it up with filler if it bothers you aesthetically. It's just a little chip out of the end of the headstock cap veneer. Doesn't affect the nut at all.

Minor niggle, I know ... but when you lay out that much for an axe you expect it to be perfect. None ever are, really.
Cool, thanks for the info. This guitar is designed to have a worn in look anyway, so I don't care about it aesthetically.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:31 PM

That nut is too wide for that slot. I see a crack in the binding on that side, too. Looks like the wood there blew out when the nut was wedged in.

I'd agree with your tech though, it should be fine. Watch that binding crack for signs of spreading, though.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars