The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Best way to humidify your guitar

I have bought a Taylor 310ce and was wondering if I should humidify it and how to do it?

http://www.myspace.com/thedubbrother...nalmusic/music
Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcenter2005 View Post
I have bought a Taylor 310ce and was wondering if I should humidify it and how to do it?
Hi offcenter…
Depends on where you live.

If there isn't at least 35-40% humidity in your dwelling (and case) you should. If you don't know the humidity inside then for $6.50 you can buy a combination hygrometer/thermometer at Walmart.

Then if you need one, there are many good choices - all equally good, and as cheap as homemade for under a buck or as expensive as $30 and you have to recharge them and keep paying for supplies all year long.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 PM

A search will reveal many discussions on this topic. I'm new to this but I use a simple Planet Waves sponge type humidifier. According to my hygrometer, the humidity in the case is 49%. I also keep the guitar in its case in the babies nursery. In the evenings we run a humidifier for our babies health.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

we keep our apartment between 40% and 55%. that's the easiest way to make sure our guitars are all properly humidified.

offcenter2005, if you don't already own a hygrometer, i strongly suggest you buy one, test it and use it. put it where you keep your guitar, either the case or the room, and check it at least once a day. after all, it only takes a second.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM

Default humidifying your guitar

hey there. i live in toronto where winter reduces ambient humidity to 20% or so. in another post, ljguitar provided sage advice suggesting we take a zip lock bag, fold over and over and cut some holes in the folds, then add a damp but squeezed out sponge in the case together perhaps with a sound hole humidifier (i use an oasis). works well for me (thanks ljguitar) and the sponge and zip lock are very affordable and supplement whatever sound hole tool you use. hope this helps.

jamie
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG View Post
hey there. i live in toronto where winter reduces ambient humidity to 20% or so. in another post, ljguitar provided sage advice suggesting we take a zip lock bag, fold over and over and cut some holes in the folds, then add a damp but squeezed out sponge in the case together perhaps with a sound hole humidifier (i use an oasis). works well for me (thanks ljguitar) and the sponge and zip lock are very affordable and supplement whatever sound hole tool you use. hope this helps.

jamie
+1 on the Ziplock humidifier. Ljguitar made a very helpful video and posted it on Youtube. Sorry, I don't have the link. I place it in my cases under the headstock and supplement with a Oasis sound hole humidifier.
Christian
Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 PM

I believe this is the link to the aforementioned video if anyone needs it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5P0_irwOPI
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM

You live in Ohio. You have central heating. You need to:
1. Keep your guitar in it's case with a good humidifier. OR
2. Humidify the room.

If it's 1. Get an Oasis. No guessing when to fill it, it will tell you. Either the kind that fits in the soundhole, or the kind that will attach to a magnetic fastener in your case. I like the soundhole ones.

If you are married to the idea of saving money, make yourself one per the instructions above. You'll have to be a bit more attentive to these, but instead of distilled water with the Oasis, you can use tap. Distilled water because of mineral buildup possible in the Oasis, and tap because you can just tear off another bit of sponge every now and then and replace the mineral crudded one. Distilled costs about .75/gallon, and lasts a few years.

2. If you humidify your guitar room, it's preferable for your home if it's just the one room, and not the whole house at 40-50%. I think it's ok to keep a smaller room at 40% when it's 5 degrees outside, but if you try to keep the whole house like that, first off, it's pretty impossible, and if it IS possible, you risk creating a good environment for mold and damage to your house.

If you're in an apt, or pay rent.... up to you whether you give it a try or not.

Oh yeah, a hygrometer is nice. Caliber III, ebay for about 20 bucks, they'll fit in the case too.

You DID spend a good amount of cash, so it's good you're interested in taking care of it, but you don't have to get too nuts. The above is pretty much it.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 PM

A strong "Yep!" to everything Neal just said.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 AM

Default Take it into a steamy bathroom

If your guitar is dry. Don't get it wet. Let the steam swirl around the guitar. After that, use a humidifier and keep the case closed.

Keeping a humidifier in the room is a good idea, but the case-type humidifiers also work well.

Be careful to not overdo it. You can see the soundboard start to get puffy below the bridge if you've given it too much moisture.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
for $6.50 you can buy a combination hygrometer/thermometer at Walmart.

The folks at my local Walmart are not the most helpful. What department in the store would carry this hygrometer?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
The folks at my local Walmart are not the most helpful. What department in the store would carry this hygrometer?
check in the home improvement section...if i recall near the ceiling fans and house hold thermometers...

i use a $1 plastic soap dish with holes drilled in it and cut a sponge to fit...wet the sponge and wring dry...make sure you have NO dripping water..i then put the soap dish on each side of my storage compartment in my case with a sock or cloth the act as a barrier between my guitar and the dish

hope this helps!!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM

I don't even bother with a hygrometer, I know that during winter, my heat is on all the time and the air is far too dry (my throat and hands agree with me), so I just humidify on principle. All I use is a sponge in a baggie. I cut holes in the baggie, dampen the sponge and hang the works in the sound hole. Re-wet the sponge when it dries out and repeat. Works like a charm.

P.S. when I went to walmart to look for a little hygrometer, they had mini thermometers hanging on the racks in their place. My case is really tight fitting, so i don't have much room for anything much bigger than 1.5" across.

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 AM

i picked this hygrometer up at wal mart for 5-6 bucks..fits easily inside my storage compartment

Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to check out the youtube video and see if that seems to be a good choice. My guitar will always be in the case when not playing it since i have three young children and my 2 year old boy thinks you strum a guitar by throwing it on the ground. That is the reason I'm buying a new one! Thanks again, this forum is great and all the people here are extremely helpful.

http://www.myspace.com/thedubbrother...nalmusic/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion