The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 AM

Default ES & Acoustic Amp Help

I have a Roland AC60 and a Taylor 414ce Ltd (2003). Although the AC60 sounds more 'realistic' than other amps I could test drive, it's still more magnetic than I care for it to be. My instrument sounds like an electric guitar trying to sound like an acoustic guitar (if that makes sense).

I'm plugging in via the 1/4" to 1/4" jack with a Mogami gold cable. Should I be using Taylor's supplied 1/4" to XLR cable instead? I haven't tried it -- wasn't sure if something bad might happen if I did, plus you don't get all the shaping & features you do on the 1/4" input.

So...
  • Do I plug into the amp's XLR input instead?
  • Suggestions on bass/treble settings, magnetic vs piezo, reverb/delay? etc?
  • Those of you that have a K4 - did that solve all your problems?
  • Those of you who upgraded your ES - did that solve your problems?

There are probably thousands of threads on the AGF about ES on amps. Thanks for your help and patience while I post one more.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 AM

I wonder if the Roland's absence of a tweeter contributes to the metallic sound. You might try connecting your guitar to a PA system or an acoustic amplifier that has a dynamic tweeter and see if the improved high frequency response helps.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 AM

You could use a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable into the Mic/Line jack of the AC-60 which will accept a 1/4" cable end and deliver the full balanced output potential of the Expression System.

Set the input button for "Line" and make sure phantom power is off.

And...

I have a K4 which I like a great deal. Will it solve all tone problems relative to amplifying an acoustic? Nope, but it's a REALLY FINE tone shaper that can help you deliver high fidelity amplified acoustic tone in a very broad range of performance situations. I'm particularly fond of the effects look which allows me to use effects and still maintain balanced output.

And...

I don't think any piece of gear will solve all your problems all the time.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Use the TRS/XLR cable. The AC60 has the hybrid input jacks. Also play with the tone controls (Bass, mid, Treble). Start with no efx of any kind. Just clean, and work from there.

My experience with the AC 60 is that it has a very crisp and brite tone.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Dear LisaLion,

I've had the same problems and lots of AGFers more experienced than myself have offered really good advice on the thread (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=130321).

Was considering buying some eq devices such as the K4 which have been highly recommended but have ended up buying a Rivera Sedona 55 to replace my Marshall AS50. It's a super amp and well recommended but really crazy expensive - worth every cent though ... but if you're not willing to shell out that sort of cash (it took me forever to save up for one and I was fortunate enough to find one on ebay) perhaps some of the suggestions people have recommended on that thread or some processors such as the aura may be of help to you.

Think there was a Sedona Lite going on the Classified not too long ago perhaps its still there.

Before that however, my 714ce-L1 with ES was sounding just as you described - incredibly magnetic and the best/only thing I found I could do on the AS50 was to boost the treble and bass (which made it half bearable) - what I was really after was a mid-cut or shift but didn't have that feature on the AS50 - perhaps you can do that on the AC60 if so, a mid-shift or cut is a good place to start 'tweaking' failing which a treble and bass boost seem to do a similar thing. Perhaps you can experiment with some parametric eqs either as pedals or outboard processors. I wasn't really up for retro-fiting another pickup into the guitar because as you well know the ES has a huge 'power management' chunk at the endpin which would be a pain to remove. But I'm sure some people on this forum a lot more clued up than me have done it before.

All the best and I hope you finally get a sound that you're happy with.

Cheerio,
Matt

Last edited by mattlim; 08-12-2008 at 10:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification