The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM

Default Boss OC3

Hi,

does anyone use the Boss OC3 octaver pedal with acoustic guitar?
I play acoustic guitar in a band that does not have drums or bass guitar, and I am looking at ways to add some deep bass every now and then to generate more energy and to vary the sound.
If it helps, the other instruments in the band are mandolin/mandola, fiddle, accordian.
Any feedback you may have would be most welcome
Cheers
Mel
Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I am looking at ways to add some deep bass every now and then to generate more energy and to vary the sound.
Mel,
I don't know a thing about the Boss OC3 but have you heard of or considered a Porchboard?

http://www.porchboard.com/

It would be a wonderful addition to the instruments you listed and adds both deep bass and energy. Just a suggestion.

Matt
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 AM

I have used one with a looping pedal to add bass lines into the mix. It works well for that. If you are looking for it to replace a bass guitar then you will probably be disappointed. In my experience, it distorts easily and some of the features are useless, at least with an acoustic. It has been a nice addition for me but not good enough the for the price.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 AM

i picked up a used one at a very reasonable price. i use it in poly mode which lets you choose at which point the octave starts. (you just have to experiment because you can't name the note) i mix a little bit of the octave in and while it is not the same as a bass, it adds body to the bottom of the sound and i think it is effective. (i also play 7 string acoustic electric and that is another way to add bottom to the mix)
Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Matt :

I have made a DIY version of the porchboard, its not deep enough, but the OC3 may also help me to shape the sound on this I just used a cheap contact peizo pickup. No doubt the real thing uses some sort of preamp to boost the lower frequencies.
I have seen the demo vid of the australian version of the porchboard, think its called the stompbox?, that has an impressive range of sounds for such a little piece of kit. its a bit expensive @ AU$300 tho.

brokenpretzel :

adding body is what i am after. I dont want to synthesise a bass guitar, just add some deeper bass energy.

Cheers for the replies
Mel
Old 03-11-2008, 02:32 AM

OK, I have found enough bad reviews of this pedal to realise its not an option. it seems to be very good in a few limited uses, but not for acoustic guitar. I will stick to my GE-7 and just use that for more bottom end

Mel
Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 AM

Have you looked at the micro pog? It claims you can play whole chords with it (which the oc-3 doesnt do well). I have yet to try it though.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 AM

i use it with acoustic guitar and find it to be effective. i think you can use reviews as a guide but ears are the final arbiter
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Old thread, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I just started using the OC3 this past week to add more bass to the acoustic. We just lost our bass player, but still have a drummer so I hooked it up just for fun thru an Acoustasonic Jr. Tried it at practice last night. Adds a nice low end punch when needed. I use just enough of it to give the E & A strings some bass.

Ovation Balladeer #1661
Tanzen 6 string cutaway
Alvarez AD60SC
Alvarez RD20S-12
Seagull SM-12
Crate Cimmaron CA15

AS Strat
AS Tele
Homemade tele
Schecter CSH12
Squier Bullet Strat
Aria 5102T
Roland Microcube
Roland Cube 60
Vox DA5

Lap Steel

SX J-Bass
Gallien-Krueger Backline 110

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification