The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Default McPherson Plugged In Sound?

A young friend of mine (13) is going to start playing his acoustic guitar is his youth praise band and wants me to install a simple pickup in for him. It's a nice little Yamaha dread. Not one of the real cheap beginner ones. It actually sounds pretty nice with a solid sitka top and laminate rosewood back and sides. I did a full setup for him a couple of months ago and it's a pretty nice guitar. Wayyyyyy better than what I had at his age.

I've been reading about pickups all week. I knew McPhersons used a very simple system from LR Baggs called the "RTS 2" A simple ribbon transducer system with a sound hole mounted volume control.

I was quite suprised that as much as McPherson guitars cost, the RTS 2 system is just a bit over 100 bucks purchased seperately. I know McPhersons are reported to be amazing sounding guitars. I've never actually seen or heard one. How do they sound plugged in with this RTS 2 system? In reviewing the Baggs website, they have a "Ribbon Tranducer System" which is different from the RTS 2, so I'm looking specifically for opinions on the RTS 2 only, not ribbon transducer systems in general.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 AM

I've heard one played live by Martin Smith of Delirious, and it sounded fantastic. Granted the PA system he was playing through was nothing short of professional (Midas digital board) in an auditorium that seats 2500 people, and mixed and eq'd by a professional. I don't know if I was hearing the guitar or if I was hearing the rest of the gear or the pro's mixing, but I like to think that everything in combination including the guitar and pickup brought that wonderful sound to my ears....haven't heard a better sounding guitar to this day, which includes hearing Phil Keaggy playing his Olson guitars, but he didn't have the PA that Martin Smith did....

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks guys,

I did manage to find examples of the plugged in sound on some Paul Baloche YouTube vids.

Although the recording quality is not that great, you can get some idea of how the pickup sounds. It does have quite a UST character to it at times, but is not too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQHE6bbT1Z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKK7tsOfKSw

I think I am leaning towards installing either one of these or a DTAR Wavelength for him. Good enough sound and just over 100 bucks for either.

Last edited by Joe F; 08-07-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
.tom the übergeek

There is nothing wrong with UST "sound" especially if he is playing in a praise band. You need to cut through over drums and electric people, some of that UST-zing is just what the Dr. ordered.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikogi View Post
I've heard one played live by Martin Smith of Delirious, and it sounded fantastic.
I believe Smith's McP actually has a Baggs I-Beam in it, so that would not be a good comparison.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM

I loved the sound of my old McP 5.0 XPW, with the RTS2, run thru my Ultrasound.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 PM
There is none like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkydude50 View Post
I loved the sound of my old McP 5.0 XPW, with the RTS2, run thru my Ultrasound.

It does sound good. I love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification