The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 AM

Default Almost returned a killer guitar over this....

I'm sure some of you have been following my saga regarding my Custom Shop 000-28. Without rehashing the situation, I'll just say that I almost returned the guitar. It sounded good, but I've been on the fence about it for about 6 weeks.

So, I decided to keep the guitar and bought some ebony shims from Bob Colosi (thanks Bob!). I spent an hour or so sanding the shim, and then I removed the saddle to finish it up when I saw something tan in the bridge. It was a cardboard shim. A cardboard shim (think chipboard like a shoe box) was on my new Martin, inspected and shipped to me from Sweetwater. Since this was a customer return, the guy who bought it first had the guitar set up, but the setup was horribly low. It was buzz city. I guess a shim was put in to correct it somewhat, but it is still low.

I put the ebony shim in and viola! It was like night and day. The guitar is louder, more punchy, and snappier. It was like I had a new guitar. Granted, I don't attribute this to the ebony shim as much as I do getting that horrid piece of chipboard out of the bridge.

Amazing. I almost sent this guitar back and now I have a tone machine. I'm going to get a new saddle made to the height of the shim plus the saddle, and that should make it even better!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:34 AM

I didn't get the sound I thought I'd get from my used Taylor 810ce Fall 2006.
It didn't really sound bad but it just wasn't there. After playing it for about two years I decided to have a look at the saddle and noticed the underside was chipped and not straight. I sanded it down as far as I dared, put it back in and wham! What a difference that made.

Action is a bit low now so I'm going to purchase a new full size saddle which will sound even better with the slightly higher action. Reading your story I will have a look at my Martin saddles too, Lord knows what's hiding underneath those.

Ludwig
Old 12-11-2017, 07:38 AM

My newest acquisition, a J-45, had lower action than I cared for. After some research, I bought some ebony shims from Bob Colosi and I was able to get the action exactly where I wanted it.

Cardboard? I wouldn't think that would sound very good...
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

What the heck, cardboard?

Glad you sussed it out. Beautiful guitar!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Beerhofen View Post
I didn't get the sound I thought I'd get from my used Taylor 810ce Fall 2006.
It didn't really sound bad but it just wasn't there. After playing it for about two years I decided to have a look at the saddle and noticed the underside was chipped and not straight. I sanded it down as far as I dared, put it back in and wham! What a difference that made.

Action is a bit low now so I'm going to purchase a new full size saddle which will sound even better with the slightly higher action. Reading your story I will have a look at my Martin saddles too, Lord knows what's hiding underneath those.

Ludwig
I'm amazed at the tonal difference and the volume boost. Raising the action helped, but that cardboard was the culprit I'm sure. It honestly makes sense because the guitar sounded timid and full of socks. I thought it might be the Adirondack sounding tight, but it was the shim.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

That's great news. I didn't know shims were ever made of cardboard.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
What the heck, cardboard?

Glad you sussed it out. Beautiful guitar!
Yup. Almost like really thick cereal box. Crazy...
Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's great news. I didn't know shims were ever made of cardboard.
Me neither, but since this was a customer return, it makes sense I guess. The bridge pins that came with the guitar were mismatched, some where ebony and some black plastic. It was just crazy. So I guess I should have checked the saddle first.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
So, I decided to keep the guitar and bought some ebony shims from Bob Colosi (thanks Bob!). I spent an hour or so sanding the shim, and then I removed the saddle to finish it up when I saw something tan in the bridge. It was a cardboard shim. A cardboard shim (think chipboard like a shoe box) was on my new Martin, inspected and shipped to me from Sweetwater. Since this was a customer return, the guy who bought it first had the guitar set up, but the setup was horribly low. It was buzz city. I guess a shim was put in to correct it somewhat, but it is still low.
Why didn't you just get a new saddle?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
The shims were $2, so I figured I'd just test out the action to see if it made a big enough difference to convince me to keep the guitar. Didn't want to spend the money on a saddle if raising the action didn't help the string slap I was hearing on the frets.

Now, the guitar sounds and plays good enough that I can take my time finding a saddle and getting it made to the correct height.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Why not get a new saddle and eliminate the shims, altogether?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
You stole my question. Why would you use shims when a new saddle is the proper cure?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Read my last sentence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
That's what I'd have done right away. Bob's ebony shims are excellent, but all-bone saddle is even better.

Not to mention that Sweetwater should have re-inspected the guitar and discovered this. Don't get me wrong, I'm a regular SW customer and I think they are the best of the big-box stores, but their "55-point" inspection is a bit over-stated (they rush them in many cases) and they don't properly re-inspect demos / returns. They owe you one in this case as it caused you 6 weeks of doubt where none should have been necessary.
Martin OMC-18E
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Charter Member

...amazing...the nut and saddle are the two spots on the guitar that have to be right for a guitar to work properly...that a tech would cram a piece of chipboard in a saddle slot is incomprehensible...btw...i just received and installed a vintage bone saddle from Colosi for my Santa Cruz Tony Rice...absoulutely fantastic...Colosi is the man and I suggest you order a new saddle from him...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion