The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2017, 05:09 AM

Default Can I use a DI with an onboard pre-amp?

Hi folks,

My guitar has an AER AK15 mic/piezo blender. It's active (I think - it has a battery), and I believe you'd call that a pre-amp.
I'm looking to try out some options for a better amplified acoustic sound (aren't we all?), and I'm consider things like the Boss AD-10, the Zoom AC2, the Tonedexter. I believe those double as DIs.

Is it a problem to use a preamp and a DI together? I vaguely recall reading somewhere to be careful. Maybe it was about impedance, or volume level? I'm not sure, so I figured I'd check before I break something

Somewhat related question: I'm looking to set up a small pedalboard with an expression pedal, chorus/reverb, a tuner, and perhaps a nice overdrive if I can find it - plus the abovementioned DI. Ideally I'd be able to use the same setup wherever I go - whether I plug into the venue's PA or bring my own Acus acoustic amp to smaller gigs and plug it in there instead. Would that work, or would it cause any problems? Would I need to bypass the DI if plugging into an amp? Anything else I need to know?

Hope someone can clear up this fog for me!

Kind regards,
Philip
Old 12-08-2017, 09:24 AM

Yes...do it all the time.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Hi Philip,

I always do what you're talking about doing. My Martin has an onboard preamp but I always go through my Fishman Platinum Pro DI for its EQ and feedback control; it's on my pedalboard along with a bunch of other pedals.

One of the main purposes of a DI is to convert the 1/4"'s unbalanced signal to a balanced signal that can travel over longer distances to a mixing console (PA) without gathering noise. They generally say not to use a 1/4" cord longer than 20/25 feet to connect to the PA. If you're farther, only then would a DI really be needed.

Technically, as far as signal matching, ideally you would use a passive DI if you have an active onboard pickup (has a battery)---that's what I've read anyway---but most people don't adhere to it (including me). But, FWIW, you'll have much more headroom with an active pickup/passive DI combo than an active pickup/active DI combo as the latter will be boosting an already boosted signal so you have a higher likelyhood of experiencing clipping.

Hope this helps!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

Last edited by Kalani; 12-08-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I put all my guitars through my PADI and they all have internal pre-amps. No problem.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:20 PM

That clears up a lot, Kalani. Thanks, everyone!

-P

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification