The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 PM

GC may not be the cup of tea for many AGFers (myself included), but its existence is necessary for the health of the musical instrument industry, IMHO.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
Is it me or some people just brutally hate that store? Maybe I am wrong...
I think it’s a general sentiment because it’s a big corporation with mediocre customer service that took down many smaller music stores back in the day. My experience is very limited because there’s no GC in Hawaii, and the only one I’ve ever visited was in Algonquin IL, and it wasn’t terrible other then them selling me the wrong guitar case two days before Christmas for a guitar I bought my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
GC may not be the cup of tea for many AGFers (myself included), but its existence is necessary for the health of the musical instrument industry, IMHO.
Yes. Love it or hate it, The big guitar companies depend on GC’s account.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:27 AM

Almost every year around this time something about GC like this is released and after their year end clearance in January-February all is forgotten and it’s business as usual.
Love them or hate them they are most likely going to be around for quite a while. From the ones I have dealt with they are more or less a store front for Musicians Friend.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I've never seen anyone buy a guitar at GC. I'm sure they do-they must- but when ever I've been in there I have never seen anyone actually walk out with a guitar.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
People just are not buying guitars like they used to. They play iTunes now. There was a time when everyone was playing and learning...those days are gone I fear. Guitar Center was always a great place to try guitars and amps out. I own a really nice American Strat that my wife bought for me at Guitar Center in 1996 as well as a great Fender amp.
One of the factors contributing to this is the fact that one of the first things that gets cut from school budgets these days are music and arts programs.

When I was growing up almost every school had a music teacher. Today...not so much.

As a society, we're missing out on cultivating a love of music in kids.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
There are 6 stores in the SF bay area where I live, with two more a bit farther out, so one problem they might have is, too many stores competing with each other.
I agree. There were two Guitar Centers in Charlotte, N.C. (and one Sam Ash). One of the Guitar Centers closed several years ago. Nobody misses it.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I've noticed that a large % of cool vintage acoustics listed on the GC website are located at the Hollywood store and have wondered if their selection is as good as it seems by browsing the web listings.
The vintage section of their store contains many treasures.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I've never seen anyone buy a guitar at GC. I'm sure they do-they must- but when ever I've been in there I have never seen anyone actually walk out with a guitar.
I've done it 6 times myself.

Just sayin'

PJ
Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree. If there is a demand there will be suppliers, and the suppliers will figure out a way to get their goods to customers, be it GC, Amazon or some yet to be devised conduit.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 PM

One cannot take for granted that there will always be a demand.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 12-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
why go to GC when I can get the same gear from MF for 10-15% off (or more w/coupon), free shipping and 8% back in "reward points" with NO TAX.

This is an effective discount of about 30% or more over GC's prices. They simply cannot compete IMO.
CG and MF are the same company (as is Music123).

GC is quite happy to have you showroom an instrument in one of their shops and then have you order the same instrument at MF.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Just got back from an errand across the street from our older GC store. The parking lot was PACKED!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I have a great Strat that I bought at GC..still it really isn't my cup of tea either, mainly due to the sales help...not much help. I still however drop in when I am around to see whats new and try a few guitars or amps. I agree that it is necessary for the instrument industry and for promoting music in general...something that is needed these days.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

They have been in and out of trouble for years. it is almost a joke. I wish my business was in as much trouble
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
I just don't understand buying guitars, especially acoustic, online. I spent a year looking and playing as many guitars I could get my hands on in different cities in different countries and there is just too much variation between even the same guitar of the same model of the same year. No two D-18s sound the same, no two J-45s sound the same. Sure they shared the same character but I would not call them the same guitar. Every piece of wood is different and will sound different as well. Electronics and other accessories on the other hand can have very little variation but I still like to try before I buy.
All valid arguments for *new* guitars.

I live in a market with a "small" Guitar Center. I rarely go there but I *do* buy regularly from them on-line from their used inventory.

Their main bricks-and-mortar purpose for me is IMMENSE selection on-line and then risk reduction from the local store: if I buy an instrument from ANY Guitar Center in the country, I have 45 days to try it out and, if I don't like it, I simply take it to the local store to return it and this is after I have had to pay the princely sum of $25 to have it shipped to me for trial -- can't get much less costly to try an instrument. I wouldn't spend two hours of my time, as an aside, to drive from one side of DFW to the other to try a guitar out in person when I have the $25 shipping option. And, I have never had a Guitar Center salesperson incorrectly describe or "puff" a used instrument to me by phone. They have been, to a person, simply wonderful: accurate in their description, will do anything I ask them to when evaluating the guitar for me and they have been unfailingly nice. AT EVERY store. EVERY time. And I have probably purchased ten guitars from them in the past five years.

One of the other advantages of buying on-line from them is that you have access to the used inventory for EVERY Guitar Center in their network. Mulitiple huge advantages here:

1) A huge inventory
2) Instantly accessible
3) Easy to "shop" from the convenience of home
4) Don't have to spend physical hours doing store-to-store search and:

Most importantly:

5) There is sometimes TREMENDOUS variability in prices for similar instruments WITHIN the Guitar Center network. Case in point: Seagull Artist Cameo (one of their high-end "handmade" models: scalloped bracing, Qii electronics, solid maple back and sides, spruce top) -- used to have a suggested list of near $2000. In the used market, they are regularly listed at Guitar Center for $850-1000. There is one for $899 right now:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sea...tric-Guitar.gc

About three months ago, at another Guitar Center, I bought this same guitar for $500 -- almost 1/2 the price. Great price & great condition. Just a different market and a different person at a different store pricing it.

The ONLY negative that I've seen with buying guitars used from them on-line is that they have minimal descriptions, sometimes incorrect descriptions (on-line), and sometime very few pictures. But those are actually all positives for someone like me that is cherry-picking deals from on-line sites because many will decide not to pursue a particular guitar because of that and all it takes is a free call. I suspect that this is what happened with the $500 Cameo above: that the person listing it at that store thought "Another Seagull, I'll price it at $500," because the only description for the guitar was "Used Seagull Artist Acoustic Guitar Natural."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion