The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-19-2017, 01:25 PM

Lightbulb HALLAND OM-C Sitka/EIR for The Golden Era Guitar *VIDEO ADDED*

Hey guys! It has been a while since I have been active on the forum as I have been busy with a few things such as getting this new guitar dealership off the ground. I have been obsessed with luthier built guitars for a quite some time now and I thought what better way to channel this passion of mine than to start up my own company - The Golden Era Guitar.

I am currently representing the following list of luthiers/brands with a few more collaborations down the pipeline:

Åstrand Guitars
Buendia Guitars
Casimi Guitars
Datlen Luthiery
Fujii Guitars
Halland Guitars
Harvey Leach Inlays
Heinonen Guitars
Isaac Jang Guitars
Keystone Stringed Instruments
Matsuda Guitars
Michaud Made
Ogino Guitars
Wingert Guitars

I have a few builds coming up that I am very excited to share with you all. Do give me a follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/thegoldeneraguitar/ and Instagram @thegoldeneraguitar for more updates. I've only just gotten things started up so do excuse the lack of information. If you guys have any queries or would simply like to get in touch, please feel free to drop me a PM or an e-mail at [email protected]

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 08-23-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:51 PM

Default Halland Guitars

Without further ado, I would like to first introduce Gage Halland of Halland Guitars! Guitars have always been a huge part of his life, and his love of the instrument led him to pursue guitar making.

Gage learned under legendary guitar builder John Greven followed by an apprenticeship under world renowned luthier Michael Greenfield for two years where he had a hand in constructing 60 Greenfield Guitars. While incorporating the best of what he has learned under the tutelage of his masters, he puts his own spin on his builds to address inherent deficiencies in certain elements of the acoustic guitar. The result is a design and sound which will be instantly recognisable as a Halland instrument.

Gage is quite the perfectionist and I cannot wait to behold the instrument he has built for The Golden Era Guitar! It is going to be in his OM body shape in Sitka Spruce and East Indian Rosewood with a Cutaway. It will come with standard specs of a 25.4" scale length, 1-3/4" nut and 2-1/4" string spacing at the bridge. It will be housed snugly inside a custom Hoffee case.

Of course, what would a thread on this forum be without photos. I shall be posting photos as the build progresses. Gage estimates this to be completed late December/early January - either way, it is going to be a great end/start of the year! This guitar is still available so what are you waiting for?

A beautiful set of old growth Sitka Spruce:

His signature Buckeye Burl and Paua Rosette:

Gorgeous EIR inside his OM-C mould:

Bending of the sides:

Laminated double sides for extra rigidity of the system:

A glimpse of the bracing and bridge:

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 11-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM

Dueling benders, I like it.

Good luck on your dealership Marcus.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Very striking rosette.

Congrats on your new venture, Marcus!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Marcus, on your new venture. And that sure is a nice geetar Gage has underway. Wow!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Dueling benders, I like it.

Good luck on your dealership Marcus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Very striking rosette.

Congrats on your new venture, Marcus!
Thanks guys! The rosette (and a few other features) pays homage to his mentor - Michael Greenfield - but the finished product will unmistakably be a Halland Guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Marcus, on your new venture. And that sure is a nice geetar Gage has underway. Wow!
Thanks Dennis! Am really excited to receive the finished guitar. Would make for a great Christmas present for the business if it arrives in December

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 AM

What is halland's approach or philosophy concerning his build process and the tone he is shooting for? Also some videos of his guitars being played would be welcomed.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
What is halland's approach or philosophy concerning his build process and the tone he is shooting for? Also some videos of his guitars being played would be welcomed.
Hi gitarro. I posed the question to Gage and this is what he has to say:

"My time at Greenfield Guitars has turned me into a “big fat tone” disciple, and that’s the sound I’m after.

My building philosophy is to create a nearly seamless connection between all components of the instrument. I strive for the usual - tone, volume, clarity and note to note articulation - but I have a few theories about what makes all of it work together a little more efficiently.

Aesthetically speaking, the pursuit of the above attributes drives me to keep the adornments simple and let the beauty of a well made guitar speak for itself."

I hope that answers your question. With regards to videos of his guitars, he only just recently got started up with 1 batch of guitars completed. This OM-C will be his 14th guitar so there aren't many floating around in the market currently. If I am not mistaken, we are the only dealers of Halland Guitars for the time being I shall definitely be shooting a video for the guitar when it arrives!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 11-20-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Marcus, this sounds like a great adventure, congrats, I send my best wishes and success your way! And I've heard GREAT things about Halland Guitars, this will be exciting to watch come together...
Old 11-20-2017, 08:04 PM

This will be a great guitar! Congratulations, and good luck!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM

Cool

Marcus,

Congratulations on the launch of your new business, I'm excited to see some of your upcoming builds. Maybe there will be a new Michaud in the near future, nudge, nudge ... wink, wink

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile How exciting

Congratulations on your new venture! What a cool way to get to indulge your passion for FINE guitars...

All the best and may your herds increase

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Marcus, this sounds like a great adventure, congrats, I send my best wishes and success your way! And I've heard GREAT things about Halland Guitars, this will be exciting to watch come together...
Thanks Dave! Likewise, super excited to play one in person shall be posting more build photos too so don't you worry haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
This will be a great guitar! Congratulations, and good luck!
Thanks Louie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Marcus,

Congratulations on the launch of your new business, I'm excited to see some of your upcoming builds. Maybe there will be a new Michaud in the near future, nudge, nudge ... wink, wink
Thanks Ian! There will be many more Michauds passing by I am sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Congratulations on your new venture! What a cool way to get to indulge your passion for FINE guitars...

All the best and may your herds increase

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul! Appreciate it

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-21-2017, 03:08 AM

Hello marcus

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds like his tone will be his take on greenfield's tone then in the same way that applegate and heinonen for example will tend to take after olson's tone but not jot completely either. Am i right?

Also i look forward to watching your video when yoi receive the halland guitar.

Lastly all the best for your new shop! There are so few custom and boutique guitar shops in our region that i will certainly try to visit the next time i come to singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hi gitarro. I posed the question to Gage and this is what he has to say:

"My time at Greenfield Guitars has turned me into a “big fat tone” disciple, and that’s the sound I’m after.

My building philosophy is to create a nearly seamless connection between all components of the instrument. I strive for the usual - tone, volume, clarity and note to note articulation - but I have a few theories about what makes all of it work together a little more efficiently.

Aesthetically speaking, the pursuit of the above attributes drives me to keep the adornments simple and let the beauty of a well made guitar speak for itself."

I hope that answers your question. With regards to videos of his guitars, he only just recently got started up with 1 batch of guitars completed. This OM-C will be his 14th guitar so there aren't many floating around in the market currently. If I am not mistaken, we are the only dealers of Halland Guitars for the time being I shall definitely be shooting a video for the guitar when it arrives!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Hello marcus

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds like his tone will be his take on greenfield's tone then in the same way that applegate and heinonen for example will tend to take after olson's tone but not jot completely either. Am i right?

Also i look forward to watching your video when yoi receive the halland guitar.

Lastly all the best for your new shop! There are so few custom and boutique guitar shops in our region that i will certainly try to visit the next time i come to singapore.
I believe so. Gage would definitely be gunning for his own signature tone, but borrowing inspiration and knowledge from what he has learnt from Michael.

Thank you! Would definitely love to have you around I was not aware that you lived in Asia; whereabouts are you from?

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
gage halland, golden era guitars, halland guitars, singapore, the golden era guitar