The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM

Default A Few More Rainsong Questions

After recently discovering AGF and Reverb, I've found that Rainsongs can be much more affordable than I originally thought. I've now been trying to educate myself on Rainsongs, but still have a few questions.

- Tops: Did the designators evolve from H (Hybrid) to CH (Concert Hybrid) to CO (unidirectional)? Does a CO have fiberglass in it? I don't know what the difference is (technically or sonicly) between the CH and CO.

- Does the Dreadnought DR or Jumbo JM ever come in a cutout model?

- Do CF neck joints or bridges ever lift up?

- Does the 1005 model offset sound hole affect sound?

- And the silliest question is, does the JM ever come with an NS (12 fret) neck?

Edit: Add questions from other posts/threads.

- What's the difference between NS, N2 and Shorties? What makes a Shorty a Shorty?

- Diff between 1000, 1100 series?

Last edited by jwellsy; 11-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:30 PM

I know the answer to only one of your questions. The CH is a new configuration, pre-dated by both the H and CO versions.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:48 PM

The CH is a newer series. Only a year or so old. It is by far the most affordable option and I would think, very low risk for someone buying his first CF instrument.

Rainsong uses extremely expensive machined aluminum molds, so no, there is no option for a cutaway dread or jumbo. That would take a new mold. Actual cost of the molds is of course proprietary, but 80-100K is not a crazy amount for that sort of thing. Same with a new body size, I have been lobbying for a 00 size, but they claim there is insufficient demand.

Rainsong's bridges are literally bolted through the soundboard. The 12-strings use 2 extra bolts. I can't imagine one lifting. Similarly, there is no "join" at the neck, at least not in the traditional sense. It's molded as part of the construction.

The offset soundhold will obviously effect the sound. Normally I associate an offset soundhole with more bass response. The one time I played a WS1005 I though it sounded brighter and more trebbly than the WS1000. As always YMMV.

Ted (or another dealer) can order any body size with the NS neck for you if a short scale 12 fret is your thing.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Tops: Did the designators evolve from H (Hybrid) to CH (Concert Hybrid) to CO (unidirectional)? Does a CO have fiberglass in it? I don't know what the difference is (technically or sonicly) between the CH and CO.
The Hybrid (H) series is entirely made of their CF/glass blend. The Concert Hybrid (CH) uses pure unidirectional carbon in the top, but the hybrid CF/glass back and sides. The Concert Series (CO) uses unidirectional carbon in the top, and pure carbon weave in the back and sides. The Classic series (no prefix) is all carbon weave. The Black Ice is all carbon, with a variety of carbon forms used to make the top, and carbon weave back and sides.

Quote:
- Does the Dreadnought DR or Jumbo JM ever come in a cutout model?
Nope. See above; AZLiberty nailed this one.

Quote:
- Do CF neck joints or bridges ever lift up?
I've never seen or heard of it. Like AZLiberty said, the bridge is bolted down. I can also attest that the neck is held by at least two bolts, which I can see clearly thru the soundhole.

Quote:
- Does the 1005 model offset sound hole affect sound?
I've played the regular and offset soundhole models, but not back-to-back, so I can't tell you how significant the sound response changes. Nothing really jumped out at me when I played the offset.

Quote:
- And the silliest question is, does the JM ever come with an NS (12 fret) neck?
It was my impression that all bodies were available with both necks. Ted/LA Guitar shows such a model, but with a lead time, making me think it's a special-order-only situation: https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....ectronics.html
Old 11-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Default A Few More Rainsong Questions

You can order any model with the ns 12 fret neck.

I compare the difference between the ch and co models to the same difference between laminate wood back and sides and solid wood back and sides. The solid being the co. The co models give much more depth and punch. To me they sound much better. I also think the unidirectional top is outstanding.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 PM

AZ, Mig, Bry, I think you covered everything.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:08 AM

Man, you guys are good! You've all been very helpful.

One other thing that I keep stumbling on is, what's the dif between 1000 and 1100 series (other than 100 )?

I think I have this narrowed down as one of my retirement guitars, either a CO-DR1000NS or CO-JM1000NS.

Before seeing the Rainsong street prices on Reverb, I have been searching for a few years on the right deals on a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe and a Breedlove Maple Jumbo. The Breedlove that I want (J350) was discontinued a few years ago and they rarely show up on fleabay. Maybe I should focus on getting the RS JM instead of the J350.

I sure wish there were more youtube and vimeo videos with CO-DR1000NS and CO-JM1000NS unplugged examples. It would be impossible to A/B them.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Man, you guys are good! You've all been very helpful.

One other thing that I keep stumbling on is, what's the dif between 1000 and 1100 series (other than 100 )?
Models that include 1000 have electronics, those with 1100 in the models number do not. All models can be had with, or without electronics.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Models that include 1000 have electronics, those with 1100 in the models number do not. All models can be had with, or without electronics.
Ted, thanks for clearing that up.

---------

Maybe having some of the posts from the other current thread in one place will help someone else in the future. I'll edit questions into the first post.

Quote:
The "S" stands for the 12-fret short scale neck. Currently there are two neck options from Rainsong, the N2, which is 14-fret with standard, 25.4" scale, and the NS neck which is 12-Fret with short, 24.9" scale. All current models have a fully adjustable truss rod.

The "Shorty" name came about by adding the shorter NS neck to the OM, making it shorter. Once the NS neck was introduced on the Shorty and the P12 parlor, I naturally asked Ashvin to build us a handful of "shorty" models using the larger WS, grand auditorium body. This custom, which was called the LA-LE2 was a great success, selling out all 15 guitars in a few months, so naturally I asked Ashvin if I could order other models with the NS neck, and he obliged. So today you can get any model with the NS neck. In fact, one of my favorite CF guitars is my BI-DR1100NS, which is a Black Ice (BI) Dreadnought (DR) without electronics (1100) and short scale 12-fret (NS) neck.
Quote:
It does sound fantastic, and it's a joy to play. I was actually thinking of ordering it with the unidirectional (CO) top, but I didn't have a Black Ice in my stable. Love the look with the abalone inlays.

My pleasure. The nomenclature is actually quite straight forward once you understand it.

Quote:
As noted already, dealers can order any model with the 12-fret neck, but most dealers tend to stay with the most common options. It's also why you don't see many Taylors without electronics at dealers. And BTW, it's a no cost option.

Regarding the models prices at $1300 or so, that would be the new CH series, which are only available in Parlor, OM, or WS currently, and only with the 12-fret, NS neck option.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Default This might help visualize the inside of a RainSong

Bolted bridge and bolted neck.

Personally I love everything about RainSong, and that is not to take away from other CF manufacturers. Just cool looking and great sounding guitars!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:55 PM

I came across a great deal on a CO-series dread a bit over a month ago, and I can say this video does a really great job capturing the "in person tone" I hear from mine...minus the gigantic gap between his skill and mine...or mine and his depending on how you look at it (he's a far far better guitarist than I!)

Haven't touched the jumbo so I can't help you there. However, I think most people just "know" when they want a jumbo instead of a dread.

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 11-06-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Hodgdon, your video if of the S-DR1000N2 which was the satin version of the hybrid series. Here's a couple videos from McNichols with Michael playing a CO-DR1000N2 that shows just how versatile these guitars are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljTVGIzY9gY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPA5BhUkPDQ

Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 PM

I love the sound of these jumbos.

Last edited by jwellsy; 11-06-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I love the sound of these jumbos.
They fantastic, and much more versatile than many of the more popular all wood jumbos out there.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 AM

I'm a bit partial to this jumbo

Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber