The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-30-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post

iim7V7IM7: "Dynamics and responsiveness can come at the expense of headroom. Bass can come at the expense of balance in timbre"... you're absolutely right. I need it to be a versatile well-balaced guitar, not a one trick pony. How would you describe Chasson guitar tone?

Can the adjustable neck and the carbon fiber be made in one guitar? I wonder how responsive it would be.

I play fingerstyle with the flesh, so I like a higher and quicker attack to compensate the lack of nails and a relatively more dynamic response for the same reason. Often I use a pick as well, and sometimes I dig in a bit. SO a little bit of headroom is useful.
I asked Kent to make a responsive, balanced sounding guitar with ample headroom for a player who plays with a thick plectrum and can dig in as well as using my fingers with a lighter attack. I wanted strong fundamentals with some supportive overtones and sustain. I play mostly solo jazz chord melody. He gave me exactly what I was seeking. Telling you how the guitar sounds specifically is difficult, because the same words mean different things to different people. I could wax poetic, but to what end?

Kent (and other experienced luthiers) can adjust their “systems” to address your desire for a faster attack by choice of top wood, bracing, body size/depth and tonewood. Headroom again can be addressed by scale length, top wood selection, plate thickness and bracing etc.

Hope that helps...
Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Tim McKnight: I'm not sure what you mean by carbon fiber buttress braces, are they the braces that run from the neck and end block to a vertical beam on the sides? I saw a pic of them once. Are they supposed to diffuse long-term tension? Do they bend over time? Any issues with them?. What tone are you after Tim, if I may ask..
I install two round carbon fiber hollow tubes (similar to a lightweight graphite golf shaft). These run diagonally from the top of the neck block to the stiffest point on the guitar body, the waist. These buttress braces stop all deformation in the neck block / upper bout assembly of the guitar rim. The braces stop all rotational toque in the neck block, compression forces induced into the top and longitudinal tension in the back.

No they do not bend. I can stand on the neck block, before the top is attached and the upper bout doesn't move, at all. These two tubes, mounted in the right places, adds a LOT of strength. We have lots of builds on the AGF and f you search "McKnight Guitar Build" you will see lots of pictures, showing what I am trying to describe in words.

I am not after any particular tone. McKnight Guitars doesn't have a particular "sound" and the day they do is the day I retire my chisels. I voice each guitar specifically for each individual client. I can build true vintage to golden age modern. Each one of our guitars are unique in every aspect from tone to visual aesthetics. Sorry, I didn't intend my reply to sound like an infomercial.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I install two round carbon fiber hollow tubes (similar to a lightweight graphite golf shaft). These run diagonally from the top of the neck block to the stiffest point on the guitar body, the waist. These buttress braces stop all deformation in the neck block / upper bout assembly of the guitar rim. The braces stop all rotational toque in the neck block, compression forces induced into the top and longitudinal tension in the back.

No they do not bend. I can stand on the neck block, before the top is attached and the upper bout doesn't move, at all. These two tubes, mounted in the right places, adds a LOT of strength. We have lots of builds on the AGF and f you search "McKnight Guitar Build" you will see lots of pictures, showing what I am trying to describe in words.

I am not after any particular tone. McKnight Guitars doesn't have a particular "sound" and the day they do is the day I retire my chisels. I voice each guitar specifically for each individual client. I can build true vintage to golden age modern. Each one of our guitars are unique in every aspect from tone to visual aesthetics. Sorry, I didn't intend my reply to sound like an infomercial.

Thank you
Will do. This makes a lot of sense.

Be & Remember ☮
Old 12-01-2017, 04:13 PM

Maybe I missed it but there are a couple of advantages to an adjustable neck that have yet to be mentioned.

Action changes with humidity so an adjustable neck allows the player to dial in the action without messing with the saddle. This helps for seasonal adjustments or when traveling to a different climate. On my guitars, this can be done in a matter of seconds with the guitar up to tension.

The other advantage is that the saddle can always stay the same height. Saddle height has an effect on tone and an adjustable neck lets you optimize the saddle height for tone and leave it there for the life of the guitar.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile Baranik Sound

Here are a couple recent home recordings of my Baranik Meridian:

Quote:
Excellent comments. Thank you all.

How would you describe the tone of Baranik and Chasson Guitars. I’ve heard a few Baraniks on YouTube, and as was mentioned they seem more modern sounding, which is great. What about their dynamics and bass response (I’m not looking for a traditional guitar).
The first song has a low C for the bass so hopefully this will help you judge the bass response (which in my opinion is deep, tight but not boomy).

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 12-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Thanks Kent
That's why I like adjustable neck joints.
What would be the disadvantages?

Thank you John
Very inspiring! The bass blooms but isn't overpowering.
Cheers

Be & Remember ☮

Last edited by HNS; 12-02-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:41 PM

I haven't found any disadvantages yet.

Like anything else, it's part of a system and one has to get the details right. I borrowed some ideas from Mike Doolin and Rick Turner, added some of my own, and built several prototypes before everything worked. I have yet to find a reason to go back to a traditional neck.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
I haven't found any disadvantages yet.

Like anything else, it's part of a system and one has to get the details right. I borrowed some ideas from Mike Doolin and Rick Turner, added some of my own, and built several prototypes before everything worked. I have yet to find a reason to go back to a traditional neck.
Thanks a million!

Be & Remember ☮
Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 PM

isn't taylor guitars known for its neck adjustment system with shims and bolt on neck.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmcook View Post
isn't taylor guitars known for its neck adjustment system with shims and bolt on neck.
Does require you have the matching shims for heel and tongue..
Old 12-05-2017, 02:18 AM

Yes ... Taylor's bolt-on NT neck could be an alternative, but they're a different design.

Be & Remember ☮

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop