The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-14-2024, 04:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Bias FX 2?

Does anyone use this? I was thinking about getting a Cordoba Stage traditional and using Fx 2 for fun.

Bias FX 2

Cordoba Stage Traditional

Initially I was going to get myself a Fender Player strat, but I don't know if I would use it that much after the honeymoon period.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-14-2024, 08:07 PM

I've tried Bias and prefer Scuffham
Old 02-15-2024, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I don't know about any amp sims But personally If I am dipping my toe in the the Dark Side of electric guitar in that $700- $800 price range

I would probably choose a Fender or PRS et. al. over the Cordoba

I realize that many consider a hybrid acoustic electric as a good transitional guitar from acoustic to electric. But my IMO is you get a compromised "least of both worlds"

Personally my thinking was if I going to explore electric guitar , then dive in rather than wade in

I did not find the playing change difficult at all really,,, the only thing that took a bit to get used to was the weight difference (because I stand most of the time)

Also note finger style on electric guitar works pretty darn well just ask Mark Knofler

Myself I would figure out your budget range and post in the Electric forum there is a wealth of knowledge on all things electric on that sub forum

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-15-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I don't know about any amp sims But personally If I am dipping my toe in the the Dark Side of electric guitar in that $700- $800 price range

I would probably choose a Fender or PRS et. al. over the Cordoba

I realize that many consider a hybrid acoustic electric as a good transitional guitar from acoustic to electric. But my IMO is you get a compromised "least of both worlds"

Personally my thinking was if I going to explore electric guitar , then dive in rather than wade in

I did not find the playing change difficult at all really,,, the only thing that took a bit to get used to was the weight difference (because I stand most of the time)

Also note finger style on electric guitar works pretty darn well just ask Mark Knofler

Myself I would figure out your budget range and post in the Electric forum there is a wealth of knowledge on all things electric on that sub forum
The nut width is an issue though with a regular electric guitar. The Fender Player strat I was looking at has a 1.650" nut.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-15-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The nut width is an issue though with a regular electric guitar. The Fender Player strat I was looking at has a 1.650" nut.
The Player Plus series has a 1-11/16" nut rather than the 1-5/8" that the Player series and Squier guitars use.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
OK and I am not arguing but I think objectively "issue" is a totally subjective noun, related as much or more to perception as a difference in playing techniques in reality

That said :
I realize of course that everyone is different in adaptation ability so it's hard for anyone to estimate difficulty (or lack of) for someone else

For me I can play my Mark Hatcher with (I think 1 3/4) and switch right to my Tele (with whatever nut width it has) with no thought to nut width. And it only took me a few weeks to adapt for electric playing
Now I am not saying there may be some difference in technique I am saying it may or may not much of issue

Interestingly I played for over 40 - 50 years before I even realized there were actual inch and fraction nut width measurements to "worry about" So I never did

In fact when I started playing in 64 no one even ever discussed nut widths
I did not learn about it until joining AGF. I guess ignorance really is bliss sometimes

If it were me I would not make a purchase decision until (if possible) I had played some electrics for more than just a few minutes a couple times in a guitar store

When I decided to start into electric after 50 years of acoustic, I spent 8 to 10 months going to stores and trying different electrics

Any way we all different and should do what we think is right.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-15-2024 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:25 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
OK and I am not arguing but I think objectively "issue" is a totally subjective noun, related as much or more to perception as a difference in playing techniques in reality

That said :
I realize of course that everyone is different in adaptation ability so it's hard for anyone to estimate difficulty (or lack of) for someone else

For me I can play my Mark Hatcher with (I think 1 3/4) and switch right to my Tele (with whatever nut width it has) with no thought to nut width. And it only took me a few weeks to adapt for electric playing
Now I am not saying there may be some difference in technique I am saying it may or may not much of issue

Interestingly I played for over 40 - 50 years before I even realized there were actual inch and fraction nut width measurements to "worry about" So I never did

In fact when I started playing in 64 no one even ever discussed nut widths
I did not learn about it until joining AGF. I guess ignorance really is bliss sometimes

If it were me I would not make a purchase decision until (if possible) I had played some electrics for more than just a few minutes a couple times in a guitar store

When I decided to start into electric after 50 years of acoustic, I spent 8 to 10 months going to stores and trying different electrics

Any way we all different and should do what we think is right.
Good advice, thanks Kev.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-08-2024, 10:22 AM

Back to the original question about Bias FX2:

Yes, it is a wonderful app for playing live. I wish it was AUV3 so I could use it in projects as well, but it isn’t. For live work though, it is fantastic: much like a Helix or a Kemper modeler.

You will need some sort of an interface to actually use it.

I have two favorites:

The Positive Grid Riff and the Xsonic Xtone. The RIFF is more compact. The Xtone has stereo outs, an XLR mono out, and three assignable buttons that you can use either for calling up presets or turning individual effects on and off. Both are really good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD