The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifcowscouldfly View Post
Has anyone compared a TrOM to a Taylor GA? I have a 2009 714ce Spring Ltd and I absolutely love its bell-like sound and overtones. I understand that the TrOM is smaller than the GA, would it be softer or sound like a smaller guitar? As its braced more tradiitonally, would it have less overtones?

No comparison. A TROM is far more dynamic. Much more going on in all the registers.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
No comparison. A TROM is far more dynamic. Much more going on in all the registers.
Same in my experiences. .
Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 AM

To quote ODDMANOUT: "I am the current owner of this fine guitar. It is a wonderful instrument...the finest blend of mahogany and rosewood tonal characteristics and all the signature Goodall complexity. This guitar in particular doesn't have the same type of bass as a TROM, but this is because of the palo escrito. i.e. it wasn't "meant" to. If this guitar were EIR, it would have that "BIG" bass."

A litle off topic, but I too find that Palo Escrito is like the best of rosewood & mahogany. I think it pairs very nicely with cedar & redwood. Goodall is one of the first builders outside of Mexico that brought this wonderful tonewood to my attention. I tend to favor his Palo Escrito Crossovers.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
I've owned two Goodall CJs (RW/Adi, RW/Palo Escrito), and two Goodall TROMs (both RW/Adi).

My favorite CJ was a RW/Palo Escrito CJ that was utterly lovely and the best CJ I'd played - a very musical, "lyrical" tone, if that makes sense. I wish I hadn't sold it. I believe someone here now happily owns it.
Goodall does wonderful things with Koa & Palo Escrito. Yes, LIVELY is exactly how I describe Palo Escrito. I would say lively, complex & snappy. To me it sunds like Koa on steroids. I see why you favored this Goodall.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Same here. Different ballpark.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion